ad: Radclub22-1

73 Magazine: All issues now online

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA5ZNU, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA5ZNU

WA5ZNU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My friends over at The Internet Archive and Textfiles have given us an early Christmas present: every issue of Wayne Green's 73 Magazine ever published, for free. 73 Magazine was published from 1960 to 2003, and was full of technical articles, news reports, ham ads, and the editorials of the irrepressible Wayne Green, W2NSD.

Read 73 online, or download PDF files here: http://www.archive.org/details/73-magazine

Magazine articles were scanned, quality corrected, and index by an army of individuals, and collected together for Internet Archive by Jason Scott of textfiles.org. See http://www.textfiles.com/hamradio/ for more ham radio related collections.

Archive.org was started by internet pioneer Brewster Kahle in 1996, with the goal of archiving internet history. While the resulting "Wayback Machine" is one of their best known projects, the Archive also engages in curated projects, such as the recent archive of all TV coverage on 9/11/01 at september11.archive.org.

Leigh/WA5ZNU
    P.S. If you want to return the favor, visit http://www.archive.org/donate/ to donate to Archive.org or visit http://www.textfiles.com/support/ to upload files off that old Micropolis disk in your garage.

KK5R likes this.
  2. N9JPS

N9JPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job to all involved. Thanks so much!
    Bill

3. AB2T

AB2T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

awesome!!! :D Can't wait to read Uncle Wayne's editorials/psychotic rants again! Bravo to the editorial team.

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's really nice. :)

There is a lot of good reading there. :)

Thank You.

5. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome, thank you.
    Donation may be in future when I can.
    And there is a couple of my old pages they had, but when I checked again it was gone :(
    KJ6OJL
    Don

6. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good news. I wonder how they settled all the copyright issues. If I recall correctly, Wayne tended to pay contributors up front and did not always bother acquiring copyrights to articles. Whatever.

7. WY5V

WY5V Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you have one of those short, backwards funny call signs, you should definitely check out the July 1987 Never Say Die column.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Groovy... bookmarked!

Yes. Now I need to get internet access into the "throne room". ;)

9. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, this should keep us homebrewers busy for decades. :cool:

10. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I had three articles published by 73 Mag and when they came out with the annual circuit ideas book, they had some of my circuits in it with subtle changes in resistor/capacitor values just to confuse the issue of not being copyrighted. Still, though, when I wanted to see the latest good circuits and ideas, I preferred 73 Mag. I found few typos and even fewer design mistakes.

When I lost my articles due to being in storage in CA, I queried the "owner" of the archives and asked him about getting copies of the articles. By return email, he sent me pdf files of them—free! Fine fellow...

11. KK6FU

KK6FU Ham Member QRZ Page

73 Magazine on-line but how?

OK, I followed the link to some index. Clicked on the indexes but no link from there????????

Ahhhh...I see.... read the collumn to the left.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  12. AB2T

AB2T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yes, the "Extras are deceitful and insane" column. I've heard about this one before. Didn't know that it was also a rant about Dick Bash. Interesting, but "interesting" is what got me hooked on 73. Bizarre quote o' the editorial:

(p. 4)

??? What does that have to do with Dick Bash, being an Extra, cheating, or anything else for that matter?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  13. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic!!!! Staple reading in my house during the 70's and 80's.

14. W6ZKH

W6ZKH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to WA5ZNU for finding this URL, as I have been looking for my articles I wrote for 73, as had lost my copies over the years.... was nice to download and print them again for my files. Funny thing about old Uncle Wayne...... most of my articles were submitted in the early-mid 80's, but some werent published until 5 years or more...guess he needed fill?? And yes, I got paid for them; not much but enough for my efforts. I still think the both 73 Magazine and Ham Radio Magazine, both now defuncted, were the BEST Ham Mags around. HR more technical and 73 for the average ham...

John W6ZKH
    [K6YDW back then]

15. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is great news, thank you very much for announcing it!

Already joined up, logged on, and found everything...easy to use site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.