ad: Radclub22-1

SATERN/NBEMS Digital Nets looking for check-ins.....

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3FAL, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3FAL

VE3FAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings,

I just wanted to make an announcement for the Salvation Army Team Emergency
    Radio Network (SATERN) NBEMS digital HF nets. All are welcome and encouraged to
    check in.

The primary nets are on Wednesday evenings and training nets are on Monday
    evenings. Here's the details:

Wednesday evening SATERN NBEMS nets:
    8pm ET, 14.065 USB, 1500 Hz Waterfall Center, Olivia 16/500
    9pm ET, 7065 USB, 1500 Hz Waterfall Center, Olivia 16/500
    10pm ET, 3.5835 USB, 1000 Hz Waterfall Center, Olivia 16/500

Same times and frequencies for the Monday evening training sessions, which are
    less formal and geared for first time check ins and folks with questions or who
    need training help.

All check ins are welcome, regardless of software used. However, we pass
    bulletins and formal messages with the NBEMS FLDIGI and FLMSG software using
    several standard forms with embedded checksum calculations allowing users of
    NBEMS/FLMSG to display authentic views of ICS, NTS/Radiogram, HICS and other
    forms. FLMSG also allows an unlimited number of receiving stations to
    independently verify 100% accurate receipt.

If you don't have the NBEMS FLDIGI/FLMSG software, you can still see the plain
    text in the message body, but you will see the extra coding for the form fields
    and the message checksum calculation.

The free NBEMS software and more info is available at:

w1hkj.com
    paNBMES.org

Please spread the word and check in! If you have an active local SATERN group in
    your area, please let them know about the schedules and/or offer to act as a
    liaison station to move information to and from their local nets and the SATERN
    NBEMS HF nets.

Fred VE3FAL
    SATERN Great Lakes Division

2. W0DLR

W0DLR Ham Member QRZ Page

And the purpose of these nets?

Just to check in to be checking in? That's the way with most nets, hardly considered as training nets when they are just hello and goodbye. Got you down for the count!

3. N2NOV

N2NOV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's also tough to get participation from stations who insist on checking "in & out" and don't contribute. A message handling net needs more than just one or two stations to provide the practice messages. Instead of criticizing, how about participating?

WE2LEW likes this.
  4. AA4HI

AA4HI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoy the digital modes as well as the others .
    The main problem is a critic that thinks the world is falling .
    If we all worked together we would have an even bigger following .
    Im happy the net is their .
    I hope to check into it sometimes , chuck , n4ued

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool! I'll be looking for you guys, though the 10 p.m. time will usually conflict with something else, and the 80 meter net is probably my best shot from here. But, we'll see how it goes...

6. W0DLR

W0DLR Ham Member QRZ Page

My point is, there are no messages. Most nets have turned into "No traffic nets". Listen on the air, surely you understand my point. Another net just to have a net never last very long.

I am not against your net, but I see no purpose in another net to clutter the air when there is nothing but a check in and gone.

The days of ham radio being necessary in times of emergency are over. If a cell system is down, it won't be for long you can bet on that.

7. VE3FAL

VE3FAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually we do pass messages and bulletins using various modes all dependant on band coditions etc....many of monitor the frequencies during the day and come home to many FLDIGI messages, these messages can also be relayed as received to make sure they do get around.
    Join us sometime, I monitor 14.065 daylight hours and 7.065 in the evenings..

Fred
    VE3FAL
    SATERN Great Lakes Division
    SATERN Liaison Officer
    DEC Amethyst ARES

8. AG5AB

AG5AB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take that bet!

9. KD5LMX

KD5LMX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a member of SATERN. They, as the Salvation Army also do great things. I passed info to a worried father that his son was safe during Katrina. There sure is a bunch of grumpy old men around.

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you folks have a liason to NTS?

11. N9SWR

N9SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

You must not read any news accounts or listen to any radio stations other than your own. Every single wide scale disaster in this country, the cell system was the first thing to go and was not back up in a timely manner to assist. HAM radio was there to pick up the slack. Your lack of knowledge of emergency communications is evident. Stick to what you know about, this is not your field of expertise.

12. KF4ESH

KF4ESH Ham Member QRZ Page

Your theory on this is completely flawed. Our local 2m traffic net moved 68 pieces of traffic in October. Most of these originated elsewhere (via our liaison to the HF nets) and were delivered to the end recipient locally by a member of our net. When we don't have any traffic to move, the act of being part of the net helps prepare those who participate for future net operation in the event of an actual emergency. Fairly regularly, someone who has been part of the net for long periods of time and simply check in and out but have been listening and learning will reach the point where they step up and offer to take some of the traffic. This means there is another ham ready to be of service in time of need. So, while you may find it a "clutter", the rest of us will be prepared to respond and handle traffic that could very well save your life or the life of someone you care about. As for the "no traffic nets" out there... we have a few of those locally as well and we have alot of fun simply rag chewing with each other. What's wrong with that? Isn't amateur radio about communicating? Does it matter HOW some do that communicating?

Tell that to the areas hit by major tornadoes this past summer where EVERYTHING was wiped out and amateur radio was the only form of reliable communication up and running quickly! Tell that to the areas along the east coast that dealt with hurricane Irene and an earthquake that interrupted "mainstream" communications. Again, your theory is flawed. The more complex mainstream communication methods get, the more likely they are to fail during disasters. Even if a cell tower is working, what about the land lines they rely on for connection between the cell signals and other phones? Cell is FAR from the end all beat all of communication and based on my own personal experience both personally and professionally, cell is not as reliable as everyone thinks. All of the mainstream systems are reliant on each other to work. If one part fails, the whole system can go down very quickly... including the newer digital radio systems that law enforcement, fire,. ems, etc are switching to. When that happens, those of us who "clutter" the airwaves will be there to help.

13. WD8FM

WD8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

DITTO: Most nets have turned into "No traffic nets".

14. KB3FXI

KB3FXI Ham Member QRZ Page

W0DLR,

I have been NCS for the many of the SATERN net skeds over the last few months. I don't ever recall you checking in, or perhaps you're just monitoring?

At a minimum, the SATERN NCS's usually send at least one message containing some relevant information for the net and check ins are always encouraged to bring information and traffic relevant to the SATERN mission and amateur radio emergency communications in general.

If you monitor 14.065 USB during the day with RSID enabled for mode detection and NBEMS/FLMSG properly configured, you will likely come back to your shack to see several form-based messages automatically received and confirmed 100%.

We're really having a lot of fun, learning a lot and passing information on the SATERN NBEMS frequencies and nets. If nets with no traffic bother you, tune up and check in on SATERN NBEMS and have some fun.

-Dave, KB3FXI

15. KB9VR

KB9VR Ham Member QRZ Page

wrong frequencies

You list all the frequencies in the cw portion of the band and then you say use usb?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.