Callsign
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Why do people call CQ this way: CQ Ten Ten, CQ Ten Ten, this is XYZ calling ....

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper

Hams or anyone else can burn up braincells in any way they want to burn them. I'm not burning mine, I'm exercising them. Oh, and for the record, it's phonetics!

Now I'm going to tell you somethin' in Europe, and using PSK, they call CQ EPC, CQ EPC, CQ EPC and people respond because there are over 17,000 PSK EPC members and that doesn't include EPC ru. No prizes or anything, but it keeps us off the streets and out of the 'pubs

Quote Originally Posted by N4BBQ View Post
    That'd be KC4TVZ I bet. He is on CW some times too.

There's quiet a few 1010'rs on charlie whiskey from time to time and especially during their coRntests.
    That would be Todd Burdette and his wife Chandra.
    They are actually Anti Hams.
    Started out being good hams, got too big for their britches, got whittled down a couple of pegs and got mad at the Amateur Radio Community.
    Now when there is any type of contests, Todd can usually be found on the call Frequency 28.400 mhz usb and his wife camps out on 28.425 mhz usb.

It's their thought that if they possess the call frequencies that they can legally disrupt the amateur radio bands.
    Because 10 meters is the easiest to work, even a person with a old repurposed CB radio and antenna can do it, that is where they choose to hang out.
    If they would put their talents to work for them instead of against everyone else - they would actually be good hams.

I did like the comment about the old home brew equipment and not knowing which band they were on.

I just think that at one time, someone did it and it sounded professional to the other operators, and so the other operators copied their style and made it their own because they wanted to sound professional also.

The most laughable people are the ones who says QSL all the time, to make you believe that they are actual ham radio operators and not a new ham or appliance operator.

The worst operators are the ones with the psychotic laugh, where they laugh at their own jokes or laugh over the mic just to get attention.
    Those people are usually the X CB radio jokers who already had the illegal linears and radios and decided that they did not have a big enough audience and so they got ham radio licenses so they could operate on more bands.

The ones that says HI HI are basically doing the same thing as the QSL guys. Where instead of talking in plain English, they use CW code as a expression so as to get attention and make people think that they are actual ham radio operators, who knows code and not just some joker on the two meters that couldn't make a QSO on 20 meters if their lives depended on it.

NK:

It wasn't just home-brew transmitters! Many a Novice Class and more than a handful of higher class licensees got "pink tickets" for "operating outside of the amateur radio bands". Having a signal above the 40-meter band when operating on 80-meters, actually putting out a signal on 20-meters or 10-meters instead of 15-meters, and so forth, were rampant with commercially made transmitters unless the operator was careful to make sure that he/she was tuning the transmitter correctly.

OIK:

Fortunately, most operators don't think that saying the name of the band when calling CQ is silly, etc.

Glen, K9STH

Being new to HF, I've run across some 10-10er's that got pretty annoyed when I called back to them without a 10-10 number. Seems kind of ridiculous for them to be annoyed. Their 10-10 website says their purpose is to promote the use of the 10 meter band. Has that happened to anyone else out there?

Quote Originally Posted by N4ODF View Post
    Being new to HF, I've run across some 10-10er's that got pretty annoyed when I called back to them without a 10-10 number. Seems kind of ridiculous for them to be annoyed. Their 10-10 website says their purpose is to promote the use of the 10 meter band. Has that happened to anyone else out there?
    Do you want to get them back - screw with their minds.
    Give them your Zip Code as your 10-10 number.
    There is a Youtube video - audio of Henry from Germany.
    Henry is the guy who gets on and works the Gray Line every day on the 10 meters - you can usually hear him on the east coast between 7 and 9 am. ( 12:00 - 14:00 UTC)...
    Someone decided that he sounded a little too German and decided to call him Hitler and jam him with their incessant babble.
    Some of those people - Todd included, are a nuisance.
    The 10-10 club started out as a free club, I think they charge $10 now to get your number. The purpose of the club is to try to make as many contact's as possible to other 10-10 members?
    It serves no legitimate purpose other then to attract other 10-10 members to use the 10 meters.
    When there isn't any contests going on, or when the band is not open, those people go away and you do not hear them anywhere else.
    When the band is open, they act as if they just bought it and they act as if the 10 - 10 club gave them special permission to use the band for their contest. Those people sometimes gets real belligerent - especially when you tell them that the 10 meters band is one of the largest bands and that if they would like to contest, they should move up above 28.500 MHz and contest as much as they want. But they hang out around 28.400 because most hams and 10 - 10 contesters are too lazy to turn their dial more then a couple hundred KC's and the contesters are afraid that if they go too high, no one will come to look for them and they will not make many contacts.
    PLUS - a person with a Technician Class License is allowed to use the 28.300 - 28.500 portion of the band, hence they can talk to more people if they stay closer to that target area.

Western Michigan. Great summers but nasty winters.

Quote Originally Posted by WG8Z View Post
    "Whiskey Alpha Six MIGHTY HORNY ZEBRA"
    Pat Maybe I can help ya out
    "We Got 8 Zebras"
    "Killed 8 Mighty Horny Zebras"

"Never 8 Mighty Horny Zebras" (real call, a local and even sequential at that)
    Mark, K8MHZ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4