ad: elecraft

New Six Meter Beacon "On The Air"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0SAP, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

New Six Meter Beacon “On The Air”

As of Saturday, November 5, 2011 a new Six Meter Beacon is “On The Air”. NØSAP is the first Six Meter Beacon in the State of Missouri operating at 50.063.5 Mhz. The station is an Alinco DX-70 running 8 watts to a homebrew J-Pole up twenty feet.

K9MU will place this beacon on the six meter listing and U.S. map on the next update of his site. Please email me with any contact information or audio files to n0sap@yahoo.com. I am also good on QRZ.com for viewing of the station. Hope to hear from you soon. “SAP” NØSAP

2. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

Another beacon is all well and good but it is a shame that people seem to have forgotten that fine local QSOs and local roundtables could be had when the band is not 'open'.

I guess since this mindless grid square thing has taken on a life of it's own what difference does it make?

KL7AJ likes this.
  3. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

Just because you don't care for this 'mindless grid square thing' (as you put it) doesn't mean some of us don't like to do it. I love to chase grids, DX, different modes for anything. I find any form of competition, be it against an opponent, the clock or betterment of my skills is rewarding even just to do and more so if I actually am successful at winning. Without some sort of goal, we become grouchy old men (and women). BTW what's your goals :)

I live in an area where there are 4 known 6M operators. When the 6M band is dead, since we live in a 'bowl' - valley surrounded by tall mountains on more than 270 degrees coverage, I do other things. Sometimes we get on 6M to test antennas and such but since we live in a small town, there isn't much sense in yakking on a radio to each other when I usually see the guys once or twice a week in town anyway.

4. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen:

Ham radio is like a diamond, no, NOT the ARRL diamond, like a regular diamond....it has many facets. 6 meters is the same. There are those who like to chase grid squares, some chase counties, some run digital modes, and some just like to ragchew. It's a HOBBY, not a 'job' and when you quit enjoying it, it's time to move on to something else, like organic gardening, fishing, and even taking your spouse out to eat and go for a walk at sunset.

Me? I love to rag-chew. I'll swap grid square numbers, but, I'm more interested in knowing something about you and your family. No, I'm not coming to visit. I no longer drive much anymore and only then to the doctors if I'm forced by circumstance.

I'm glad another 6 m beacon is operating now. I'll put it's frequency in one of my old Rat $hack (You've got questions? We've got dumb LQ^QKs) scanners and listen for it.

GOD BLESS,

"Brother Don"/KA5LQJ

5. K4MFD

K4MFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said Don, I hope you are doing well. I love 6 meters, I love to rag chew on 6 meters and I all so like to get your grid square. I have a ARRL Grid Locator map on my wall in my shack. I like to color in the grids with a highlighter just to see where I have worked. It's just some thing fun for me to do that I enjoy and no I am not working on a award or contest. There are lots of stuff to do on 6 meters and all the ham bands for that matter. I all so have a 6 meter repeater up on 53.450 with a 100.0 PL Tone on the mountain. If we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place. I all so love to share this great hobby with my freinds, kids and strangers for that matter. I hope to work you on 6 some time Don.

73s ~ K4MFD Jeff Bible

6. K0OLD

K0OLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen to that, I also like knowing something about who Im talking with and a little history. Seems like so many are interested in Quanity instead of Quality of the Contacts. Dont get me wrong, contests are fun. But man their is so many. I had a real good time just talking with folks and learning what equipment they use and what type of antenna's and job and family. Makes for a longer memory than "5/9 Missouri !! Good Luck" LOL!! Dave Great Job on the Beacon!! Sounds good and clear. God Bless everyone and thanks for the post!!!

"If I cant Love and Serve my Savior, my Country, and my Family and Friends . IF I cannot look back on a life of good will and care for my fellow man. IF I canot contribute something in my life to make others lives better. I am indeed a miserable individual." GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

7. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Listening

I will be listening for your beacon out here in AZ. I moved out here 10 years ago from Columbia MO.!! And no I am not retired..I am just plain tired...
    :p

8. K7TNT

K7TNT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the Beacon, will be good to have. I hope to hear it soon from Wyoming! It should be easy any morning off of meteor pings! 73s Thanks Richard K7TNT DN74 :) S.S.T.

9. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job, if I hear a beacon on 6M or 10M I am really empowered to CQ on that band!

11. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

12. KB1FUA

KB1FUA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At EN40tw-
    At 1830 UTC, I was able to hear your 6m beacon on 50.063.5mhz.
    I had it at a solid 5/3 to 5/5, then to less than a 3/2 at the listening length of 2 minutes, before dissapearing on me
    all together.
    Just wanted you to know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.