Callsign
ad: davisrf

View Poll Results: Which radio is best for a base station and also best for it's price?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • TS-480SAT

7 36.84%
  • TS-570S

2 10.53%
  • TS-570S(G)

10 52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HF/6m Base Station

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Default HF/6m Base Station

Hello from K2CLH! I posted a thread asking what HF/6m base station is best under $1200. I have narrowed it to the three on the poll. I would also like you to reply please and tell me the difference between the S and S(G) version.

73 thanks,
    K2CLH

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1570.html

Note: The earlier non-"G" models Kenwood TS-570D Kenwood TS-570S are similar, but without the 3 added DSP CW filters
    So it sounds like if you want the added CW filtering, the SG is the way to go.

I haven't used the 480SAT, but I have used the 570S for several years as a Field Day rig on 20, 40 and 15 meters phone. No complaints

I have the TS 570S and have used it many times on 6 meters. I bought this rig used two years ago for $650. I will sell it when I buy my new TS 590S. All around great radio. I have made decent 6 meter contacts using my 17 meter rotatable dipole (Without a tuner).

Ok thanks! I couldn't find any reference to the difference but now I see. I don't use CW so it doesn't matter so I think the S would be fine!

I have the `570SG. I`ve had it since new and there is one problem I`ve found. It has a noisey front end,even with no antenna connected. Lots of "white noise". The dealer I bought it from agrees with this. I do like the dsp,it`s very effective. The antenna tuner is fine as well. Very user friendly quick memories are handy as well as other front panel controls. The digital filters are great also.

You can find a used low band VHF Mortorola Maxtrac or even a CDM750 for a lot less,
    They run 60W, 16 programmable frequencies and a terriffic reciever !
    A lot better than using an HF all mode rig that has 6M FM added as an afterthought
    You will probably have a dedicated vertical antenna for 6M FM anyway, an "allband " HF dipole will not work well for 6M FM use !!!
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

Just from my experiences with HF plus VHF and beyond rigs (IC-746, 706 series, FT-847, etc), the 100W 6M sections do very well with FM...and have SSB capability, something a Maxtrac won't be able to do, and IMHO is where the real fun on six happens

Since the question did not give suitable multiple answers I write here in this post:
    For HF I have a Swan350 and a Alinco DX-70 TH of late I have been using the DX-70 since doing some preventive maintenance on the Swan 350, I like Six Meter and Ten Meter HF mostly sideband for DXing.
    The Alinco is near a Icom 706 without VHF/UHF and the Alinco is all mode.
    Allan=kb5doh # # #May God Bless You and Yours #73.

"Do on to others as you would have them do on to you"

None of the above! Your best bet would be a Yaesu FT-847 HF-VHF/UHF + satellite rig ever built still one of the best VHF weak signal radios I use mine for SSB/Digital/EME my main HF/6m rig is a FTDX5000MP unmatched.
    Last edited by N0AZZ; 10-26-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

I dumped Kenwood a long time ago.

I use an Icom IC-746PRO base and an ICOM IC 706 MKIIG mobile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast