Callsign
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOW DO you do this GREYLINE Stuff?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper

Default HOW DO you do this GREYLINE Stuff?

Way back I had a little slding world map with a Greyline chart on it that was supposed to tell me when I would get good DX. It is one of the FEW things I sold on Ebay. Perhaps I shoulda kept it.

For NOW I need it desperately to tell me WHEN I have a shot at the T32C on 160M

This morning I tried again, and at sunrise, I DID hear them briefly, but not good enough to make a contact.

Maybe it WASN'T sunrise. What is the determining factor of a "SUNRISE"?
    Is it when the sky starts to lighten from Darkness? Or when you actually see the SUN coming over the horizon? How long does "Sunrise" last?

And with this little chart, it seemed like you had to coordinate Sunrise here with Sunset THERE for it to work.

Since I have such a MARGINAL 160M station, I need to know EXACTLY when to call the T32C. 160 is the ONLY band (except 6) I am short on, so I am Desperate to make the contact.

So just what is this "GREYLINE" stuff and how does it work? It MUST work or no one would be using it. What bands does it work on?

Any QRZeders use it?
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Pat,

You're a little too close to T32C to get much horsepower out of grayline.

I just checked the SR and SS for both ends of the path, using my QTH, which isn't far from yours.

Here:

Sunrise 1406
    Sunset 0108

There:

Sunrise 1622
    Sunset 0417

Easiest way I know to check is W6ELProp, but I don't have 160m set up in my configurations.

Bill
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

It is just going to be a short period of time as the Sun rises or sets. Maybe 15 minutes give or take.
    At least that is all I have experienced.
    Signals just peak up a bit sometimes enough so that you can work them.

Even on 160 I think you should have a fairly easy time working T32 without any special mode of propagation.
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Download the N1MM logging program.
    Even if you do not use the logging program,
    there is a greyline program included with the package.

It is FREE...Right in your and my price range.

PSK Reporter and HRD's logging program both show the greyline. I use it all the time.

http://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

I don't think there's a greyline path to T32. Both stations have to be on the greyline, and we aren't, with them.

I'd just swing the ol' 160m beam around and give 'em a call.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    I don't think there's a greyline path to T32. Both stations have to be on the greyline, and we aren't, with them.

I'd just swing the ol' 160m beam around and give 'em a call.
    Might also go to http://dx.qsl.net/propagation/greyline.html

Iv'e never tried any of this fancy stuff, I can't stay awake, and then after getting out of bed a couple of times I can't find enough energy to get up, so sunrise or sunset has to correspond with somewhere on earth doing the same.? Why has nobody ever made a list of where this happens, or is it too complicated ? High and low tide tables are complicated but they've been doing that for 3,000 years

Pat, like others have said, there is no greyline from your QTH to there. You need to get up well before sunrise and just hope they are on to work them. HRD has a built-in greyline display on the main logging program display. I actually have a separate monitor to run the rotor program on, which shows the entire Earth and which areas are in light and dark. I can immediately see which areas might benefit from greyline propagation with a quick glance at the monitor.

...............Bob
    ex-W4DFW Ham since 1970. ARRL Life Member and Volunteer Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by G0GQK View Post
    Why has nobody ever made a list of where this happens, or is it too complicated ?
    Not complicated but it constantly changes with the earth's tilt. No two days in a row have exactly the same grey line pattern, and of course each season the change is rather drastic.

No reason for a "list" when there's a real, live, accurate continuously updated map on line as given in post #7, above.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast