Callsign
ad: ki5dx-1

Thread: easy and cheap no guy antenna mast?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Default easy and cheap no guy antenna mast?

Looking for ideas for a cheap, DIY antenna mast that might either be telescoping or put together in sections. 30 feet high, one mast would go up into trees and be attached to a tree for support, the other will be supported by the backside of a large garden shed. It would support a single or dual band dipole. I'm hoping for a UV proof plastic, fiberglass, or ? and I want to avoid metal masts.

Thanks,
    Eric

I have a telescoping fiberglass mast ~33' high from Max Gain Systems http://www.mgs4u.com/index.html, very satisfactory. It is pretty substantial but probably ought to be guyed at least at one place. These masts come in different lengths as well. If it is a fixed mast, you can paint it for UV protection. If you are using it as a portable, etc. that would interfere with the telescoping action.

There are other offerings as well. One idea is to take say 1.5 inch 6-8' poles, join them with 1.25" section about a foot long, glue or glass them together, and make up the height you want.

73 de W6OGC

Quote Originally Posted by W6OGC View Post
    I have a telescoping fiberglass mast ~33' high from Max Gain Systems http://www.mgs4u.com/index.html, very satisfactory. It is pretty substantial but probably ought to be guyed at least at one place. These masts come in different lengths as well. If it is a fixed mast, you can paint it for UV protection. If you are using it as a portable, etc. that would interfere with the telescoping action.

There are other offerings as well. One idea is to take say 1.5 inch 6-8' poles, join them with 1.25" section about a foot long, glue or glass them together, and make up the height you want.

73 de W6OGC
    Thanks for the info, but the price tag is a little too high for me. It does give me some ideas though. I also browsed some past posts on this topic. One person used the 12, 4 foot long fiberglass masts on Ebay. Those seem more within my price range if they have enough strength and stability.

Eric

Just be sure you get what you need. Sometimes the cheapest oats have already been run through the horse, if you get my drift.

73 de W6OGC

+1 on that, "quality only hurts once!", I say!

For antenna masts and supports, I use pine or spruce poles. They're free as they have no commercial value. Just need to find appropriate trees, cut, limb, and transport. 30 feet is no problem and can be walked up. Build a tilt-over base if you want too.

Quote Originally Posted by N2LKR View Post
    Thanks for the info, but the price tag is a little too high for me. It does give me some ideas though. I also browsed some past posts on this topic. One person used the 12, 4 foot long fiberglass masts on Ebay. Those seem more within my price range if they have enough strength and stability.

Eric
    Those fibreglass masts would likely need to be guyed if you go up 30 feet. I have 24 feet of them here and unless you have an attach point at least 16-20 feet off the ground you might want to guy them. Another tip for you if you use those fibreglass masts. Put some screws in the joints, that helps make the joints more stable. I used some drywall screws I had laying around.

I currently have 24 feet of that mast up with an A-99 on it. But it is stuck up the middle of a maple tree, tied off about 5 feet up from the base. I am not worried about it falling over, it can't go anywhere. But it sure would need guying if it was out in the open.

I would reccommend at least a Rohn push up H-30 to H-50.. Their actually cheaper than the fiberglass ones, shipping may be 50.00??.. I saw them local at Fry's electronics a year or so ago..Ya might want to use it for a lightweight beam in the future also.. Buy once, cry once!!!
    http://www.cableandwireshop.com/rohn...enna_mast.html

Don't take this the wrong way, but that is one of those triangles where you can only have two of the three.

Anything no-guy 30' tall is not going to be cheap, and not really all that easy. I can't think of anything short of 25G that can go up 30' with no guys and that's limited in what it can hold up - good for wire antennas, probably not a Dream Beam 42.

Probably the easiest to use and most realistically priced is the Rohn H series extendable masts but they require guys under most installations. The plus side is that two people can erect them reasonably well, the process is pretty easy, if a bit boring. And it can be heavy work if it's loaded.

My 31' aluminum vertical is self supporting but it's got no loads on it.

All of my masts are either bracketed and not very tall, or guyed.
    This Space Intentionally Left Blank