ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec

Default MFJ-259B vs. MFJ-266

Hello,

as i think of buying one of those antenna analyzers,
    what model would you recommend?

Noteable is that the price of MFJ-259B and MFJ-266 are nearly the same at a seller.
    The MFJ-269 still costs more allthough MFJ-266 also does support UHF like the MFJ-269.

At a first look there seems to be just differences in metering panels and connectors.

Regards

The 266 is a Feature Tech AW07a re-badged by mfj with a healthy price increase. The 259 does not do uhf but does more. Coax testing etc

Default Re

Thanks for your nice answer.
    So it is now more clear to decide for the 259B, without it would not be noticed so easy about the lack of the features of the 259B.

Default MFJ-266 - Same Fuctions as the MFJ-269 including Coax tests

Quote Originally Posted by DL1KSE View Post
    Thanks for your nice answer.
    So it is now more clear to decide for the 259B, without it would not be noticed so easy about the lack of the features of the 259B.
    The MFJ-266 does everything the more expensive MFJ-269 does but also includes a interference detection circuit built in.

I have a MFJ-259B and it works just fine for average antenna work. The 259B's performance range is somewhat limited by the 8-bit A/D converter so if I had it to do over again, I would get the more expensive model with 12-bit resolution.

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Why the mfj? Autek's VA1 is smaller/lighter, uses only ONE 9v and gives you the sign of X, phase, etc.
    Almost the same as the VNA2180 from Array Solutions (much more precise and expensive). Have all three of them, mfj autek and AS. Love the 2180 for its precision in tuning arrays. Va1 is close and much better than the mfj.
    roy va2gu

Quote Originally Posted by VA2GU View Post
    Why the mfj? Autek's VA1 is smaller/lighter, uses only ONE 9v and gives you the sign of X, phase, etc.
    Almost the same as the VNA2180 from Array Solutions (much more precise and expensive). Have all three of them, mfj autek and AS. Love the 2180 for its precision in tuning arrays. Va1 is close and much better than the mfj.
    roy va2gu
    I hope these units are 10 times better than the MFJ because they are close to 10 times the price!

fp

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Here's a winning cheap combo:

HF: VK5JST Aerial Analyzer ~$100
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5779

VHF/UHF: T100 Vector Antenna Analyzer ~$200
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8012

For 300 bucks, these two analyzers combined will knock the socks off MFJ's offerings in terms of features. Might cost more than a MFJ-259B combined, but the graphical interface of the T100, combined with it's computer hookup capabilities is a sure winner. AND you get full 70cm coverage.

Granted that none of the above or MFJ's antenna analyzers would even be able to sneeze at a NIST certified instrument. But what do you expect for this kind of price?
    Last edited by KE7HQY; 11-21-2011 at 04:52 AM.

The AIM4180 is really nice and only about twice the price of the MFJ-259B. Only used with computer - desktop or laptop.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KE7HQY View Post
    Here's a winning cheap combo:

HF: VK5JST Aerial Analyzer ~$100
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5779

VHF/UHF: T100 Vector Antenna Analyzer ~$200
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8012

For 300 bucks, these two analyzers combined will knock the socks off MFJ's offerings in terms of features. Might cost more than a MFJ-259B combined, but the graphical interface of the T100, combined with it's computer hookup capabilities is a sure winner. AND you get full 70cm coverage.

Granted that none of the above or MFJ's antenna analyzers would even be able to sneeze at a NIST certified instrument. But what do you expect for this kind of price?
    The MFJ-259B is portable, I don't think I could haul my computer outside to do antenna checking!

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast