65 22.26%
  • Yes with conditions (explain)

14 4.79%
  • No

203 69.52%
  • Don't care

10 3.42%
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Technicians be given 17m, 12m, and 10m phone?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Default Should Technicians be given 17m, 12m, and 10m phone?

I've had this idea that's been floating around in my head for a while: give Techs 17m, 12m, and 10m full phone privileges.

Why? It'll help to relieve congestion on the small 28.300 to 28.500 band. Why restrict Techs to a small sliver on 10m? Just let them use the entire band, all modes. Also, letting Techs on 17m and 12m phone will be a good way to get more hams on two of the WARC bands.

160, 75, 40, 20, and 15m phone would still require at least a General ticket.

Also, I think it'd be a good idea to retain the 200W ERP limit for Techs on HF. This is the current policy, and should be maintained even if Techs get more HF phone. Limiting power would be a good way to entice operators to upgrade to General and qualify for an amp.

Let's see what you all think.

73, Jordan

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

In a word

NO
    Molon Labe SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ View Post
    In a word

NO
    Sue, I respect your opinion. Though, I'm curious. Why in particular are you strongly against this proposal?

73, Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by AB2T View Post
    ... Why in particular are you strongly against this proposal?

73, Jordan
    OK, I'll play. why did you say: "160, 75, 40, 20, and 15m phone would still require at least a General ticket."
    why don't you want to give them full privs on all bands?

I look at it this way:

Novices and Techs have had 10m access for more than twenty years. Most 10m SSB activity takes place in the 28.300 -- 28.500 window, so it's not as if the Techs have been missing out on DX. Letting Techs have the full range might get more hams of all licenses to utilize more of the 10m spectrum (there's quite a bit of it!). I've always wondered how to get more hams to use 10m above 28.500. Also, allowing Techs all modes on 10m only would give them a chance to try AM and FM HF.

17m is a band that American hams often use, but 12m is often underutilized. Giving Techs full privileges on 12m will increase the utilization of the band. Maybe 17m should be reserved for General and up. Still, I don't see why a band like 12m should lay fallow. If hams with higher tickets aren't using 12m, give it to the introductory license.

Although Techs have limited CW privileges on 80 and 40, realistically most Techs will only have 28.300 to 28.500 as their HF experience. Allowing Techs one or two more bands might not only relieve 28.300 -- 28.500 congestion but also get hams of all licenses to use underutilized bandwidth.

I'm actually not a phone operator. Still, all bands, including the unused space on 10m and the phone WARCs, should be used frequently. Maybe I'd be against this idea if I operated phone more than CW.

73, Jordan
    Last edited by AB2T; 10-09-2011 at 06:52 PM.

17M is a small band. Maybe an allocation of 100 to 150 KHz on 15M would be better. 15M is underutilized, too.
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

Maybe all of 10m would be ok. My hope would be that allowing techs on all of 10m would drive the popularity of 10m repeaters up.

Why? It'll help to relieve congestion on the small 28.300 to 28.500 band. Why restrict Techs to a small sliver on 10m? Just let them use the entire band, all modes. Also, letting Techs on 17m and 12m phone will be a good way to get more hams on two of the WARC bands.
    I voted before I answered but NO would be my answer here too.

I scan Ten Meters frequently. The only time I have experienced what I consider congestion is when the band is open and on 29.600 FM.

Ten-Ten Net International operates a number of daily nets. On their reflector, I've noticed less than a handful of instances where nets reportedly had interference.

If Technicians want extra privileges, the principle of incentive licensing is in place.

Now, let's talk about Advanced Class license holders getting Extra Class privileges.

---

Lloyd Colston KC5FM
    Altus, OK USA [url]http://wx5em.us[/url]
    Straight Key Century Club #5676
    Croatian Telegraphy Club CTC # 1.931
    CARF #294 Ten-Ten #10231 NAQCC #4408
    Southcars #8276 QCWA #31935 ARRL #8037325
    [url]http://www.carf.net[/url] [url]http://www.ten-ten.org[/url] [URL="http://norcars.net/"]http://norcars.net/[/URL]
    [URL="http://kc5fm.blogspot.com"]http://kc5fm.blogspot.com[/URL]

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Sue, I respect your opinion. Though, I'm curious. Why in particular are you strongly against this proposal?

73, Jordan
    I'm against it because;
    A. The General Class license is easy to earn.
    B. 28-3-28.5 isn't any more crowded than twenty meters when the band is open.
    Molon Labe SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ View Post
    I'm against it because;
    A. The General Class license is easy to earn.
    B. 28-3-28.5 isn't any more crowded than twenty meters when the band is open.
    Fair enough. Many people take the Tech and General in one sitting anyway. That's the way I'd do it if I were starting out today. It's not that much more work to study for the General when studying for the Tech.

Maybe this poll idea wasn't such a great idea after all. I'd use 17 and 12 more often, but I don't have antennas for those bands and wouldn't be able to put them up anyway even if I wanted to.

73, Jordan

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast