ad: Radclub22-1

W8VYZ "Ashtabula Bill", AM Icon, SK 9/27/2011

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W1RC, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1RC

W1RC Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill Dolvin, W8VYZ of Ohio passed away on September 27th 2011. Known as "Ashtabula Bill", he was a very well-known and highly respected figure in the AM community. W8VYZ had a commanding signal. He often like to say: "There ain't a slop bucket in North America that could bother me!"

slopbucket.jpg

Bill was the quintessential "Old Buzzard" WW-II veteran radio man. He was one of a kind. They don't make 'em like that any more.

His XYL Sylvia posted a description of Bill's last send off: " It's late and the end of a long day, but have to take the time to tell you that Bill's last send off was great! His ashes rest inside two 833's mounted on a transmitter tuning unit. He would love it! He had full military honors and his grandson showed a video of the song with old Army Air Corps words of Wild Blue Yonder with pics of thundering planes bombs etc etc. A nice turnout with lots of remembering quite a few hams and lots of family. I think we did him proud."

Read the many tributes and stories about "Ashtabula Bill" W8VYZ:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=29000.0

w8vyz.jpg

RIP, Bill!

W1RC

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    W2VW likes this.
  2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WA8NTW

WA8NTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I never worked Bill due to lack of respectable working AM equipment. But listened to him many times. He was truly one of a kind!

May God bless you and your family.

RIP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.