ad: l-innov
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-BCInc

Default Heathkit HW-101 Microphone

What microphones will work with the HW-101? Which heathkit mic came with the unit?

KD8MBI
    James Gross

If it came with a mic, probably a Turner 350C, Hi-Z device. Any Hi-Z mic will work fine.

The HW-101 did not have a microphone as part of the kit. The microphone was an optional item. The microphone used quite often, not necessarily the microphone designed specifically for the HW-101, was the
    Electro Voice 638. The HW-101 has an high impedance audio input. Therefore, most, not all, high impedance microphones may work with the HW-101. I use a non-amplified D-104 with my HW-101 and it
    produces excellent audio. While some operators use amplified microphones, I don't recommend them. Amplified microphones, when not adjusted properly, tend to over drive the speech amplifier producing
    distortion in the transmit signal. It's not how loud your signal sounds but rather how clean it sounds on the air. However, it's entirely up to you whether you use an amplified or non-amplified microphone with your
    HW-101.

73s
    Mike

Thanks to all who replied.

If any of you have a HW microphone I would be interested in purchasing it.

KD8MBI

James -

Heathkit did not make "HW microphones",
    rather Heathkit obtained a majority of their microphones (OEM supplier) from Electro-Voice in Buchanan, MI (just down the road).

For example, the Heathkit model HDP-21A desk microphone was an option for the 1960s/1970s HW and SB transceivers.
    That microphone is actually the Electro-Voice 638 with a brushed finish on a nice matching desk stand.
    Reviews here:
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2561

BEST ADVICE -- Place a Wanted Ad in QRZ Swap Forum (so people can read you desire to purchase) and
    regularly check the QRZ For Sale, eBay, craigslist, garage sales, and QTH Classified Ads.

w9gb

Electro-Voice was about 15 miles from the Heath plant on Hilltop Road in St. Joseph, Michigan. Mailing address was Benton Harbor but the actual plant location was on the south-side of Benton Harbor in St. Joseph.

Glen, K9STH

http://archives.telex.com/archives/E...0717%20EDS.pdf
    I have an electrovoice hand mic that I used with my hw100. It is yours for $15 plus $ 4 shipping. see the link above for the details and picture of the mic.
    carter wa1fok
    860 326 4484
    courtneyjc20@hotmail.com

I used both a D104 (un-amplified) and a Turner 222.

I also used a turner hand mic for mobile.

I use a vintage Astatic DN-HZ (Hi impedance) un-amplified dynamic mic. I got it from a ham who used it as a full frequency response mic for AM operation. I love it & my HW-101. The HW-101 has a "punch" which the modern rigs just don't have. Tubes rule! The attached photo shows the DN-HZ behind my cat as she copies CW! 73, Ken
    DSCN2273.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by KG4LLQ View Post
    I use a vintage Astatic DN-HZ (Hi impedance) un-amplified dynamic mic. I got it from a ham who used it as a full frequency response mic for AM operation. I love it & my HW-101. The HW-101 has a "punch" which the modern rigs just don't have. Tubes rule! The attached photo shows the DN-HZ behind my cat as she copies CW! 73, Ken
    DSCN2273.JPG
    I see that the cat was working the "rubber" band.
    "Pull my finger." "Part II."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast