Callsign
ad: cheapham
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Privacy as a Ham radio operator.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG

Unhappy Privacy as a Ham radio operator.

How do you keep your address private on the internet as a Ham radio operator? I discovered my name and address was published on the internet due to having a Ham radio license. The FCC has made it public knowledge. Other websites have published it too for unknown reasons. Is there anyone who can help me to fix this? Thank you.

Some people use PO boxes to keep their address private, but as far as your name etc., I don't think there is a way to keep that private unless you keep your callsign private.. but that'll put a dent in your ability to participate in the hobby.

You are required by the FCC to have an address they can reach you at. You can get a PO box, or someone elses address that can always reach you, like a parent or son, etc. That address is part of a public record. Really no way around it.

Joe
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

I can't think of any federal license that isn't public record.

A PO Box is nice, we had one before I earned my license due to issues with the mail carrier in this aria.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.

If you can use a PO Box, great. Just need to remove the old (Current) address off the internet. If anybody knows how to do that it would help. Thanks for the info.

W5RB Guest

It would appear that there's a new policy afoot , as it seems the OP has just been delisted by QRZ. Of course there are a dozen other databases that he'll still be in , including ULS . P.O. box is the simple solution .

A P.O. box is a bit more private but your name will always be in a public data base with the FCC, and using that alone anyone can be found if someone looks hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by KI6UVK View Post
    How do you keep your address private on the internet as a Ham radio operator? I discovered my name and address was published on the internet due to having a Ham radio license. The FCC has made it public knowledge. Other websites have published it too for unknown reasons. Is there anyone who can help me to fix this? Thank you.
    As far as I know, once you have been licensed, and already used your home addy, it will always be available to anyone who wants to find it. You can cancel your license and go take the test again and use your p.o. box addy, but your old name, call and addy will still be on the web forever.

I do not understand this thinking of some ops, I want to know who you are but, I do not want you to know who I am. My mother had this for quite awhile when she was first licensed and was quite paranoid about anyone having the ability to look her up. As time has gone on she realized that yes anyone can, but most people who are not into ham radio do not even know how. Further yet, most don't care. Funny though she lives in NJ with a KC6 vanity call, so anytime she is on VHF, she gets looked up out of curiosity

I have not met anyone yet on air that I was worried about knowing where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by KI6UVK View Post
    If you can use a PO Box, great. Just need to remove the old (Current) address off the internet. If anybody knows how to do that it would help. Thanks for the info.
    I've noticed in the past that even when someone changed their address to a PO Box, the previous address is listed in the administrative update on the FCC site. I'm not sure if the FCC will remove that or not. Every one of us (not just hams), unless we've been living on a different planet, has demographic data in numerous databases available on the web - some free and some for a fee. There are several ham databases available as well. Simply changing QRZ won't affect those at all.

.............Bob
    ex-W4DFW Ham since 1970. ARRL Life Member and Volunteer Counsel

Not only can anyone find your address, but then they can use Google Earth or Mapquest and find exactly how to get to your house, maybe even aided by a high definition aerial or satellite photo of your property.

In years past, a couple of times I received personal threats over the air. I didn't worry about it, because back then, it would have nearly impossible to find my whereabouts out in the country where I lived, even with the old rural route mailing address in hand.
    Hard Core AM since 1959

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast