ad: Sussex-1

The MDSR software release V2.1 (SDR on a budget) is now available

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

The MDSR Development Team has now released the next version of their full RX – TX capable SDR software. The software is available at the MDSR website and the Yahoo user group and the software is free for amateur use. The MDSR software will run on a Windows platform. W2000 and up (works best with Windows XP)

The MDSR software also provides a real time spectrum analyzer and a universal CAT interface that can control 48 different transceivers. Instructions how to use the sofware are included in the software, PDF reader required.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mdsradio/ (please register for access to the information)

http://users.skynet.be/myspace/mdsr

The MDSR concept uses an existing transceiver (Yaesu or ICOM have been tested and more will follow)) with a 455kHz IF and a transverter that uses the a 12kHz IF which is fed to the sound card in RX mode and unconverted to 455kHz IF in TX mode. The transverter is connected to the option filter port in the transceiver. The RX audio is heard through the PC speaker. The control of the transceiver is performed through CAT interface.

RX capable hardware is already available through the MDSR group. It is so simple that some HAMs actually prefer to build their own interface. Instructions are available on the website or user group.

This development allows the HAM radio operator to use his/her existing transceiver and computer and connect them together at the IF level for excellent audio quality. SDR performance at a budget cost!

All the best and 73;

The MDSR Development Team

2. KJ6BBS

KJ6BBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a cool bit of software. Must try it out once I can split my speaker output from my interface output. Not what I need, is more wires ;)

3. VE7DXW

Never can have enough wires....:):)
    :cool:
    Alex
    VE7DXW

4. KJ6BBS

Haha! Well more antenna wires YES! More wires that create or suck RFI, NO! ;) ;)

Can it handle any mode of op?

5. VE7DXW

For now the MDSR software will do USB, LSB, CW-USB and CW-LSB.
    AM and FM are currently discussed and will if technical feasible be implemtned thereafter.
    The MDSR demodulator can be paired - with a second soundcard with digital demodulation software like PSK-31 or FLdigi. We did some test with that setup and we had great success, especially with PSK31.

The software is free for Amateur radio use. Why don't you dowload it and give it a test drive? I you have a NF signal generator that you can set to 12kHz and aprox. 200mVpp into your line in of your soundcard. That should give you a good idea of how the software works.

Thanks;
    Alex

6. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

If it accepts I/Q signals couldn't it do ANY MODE your software such as PowerSDR is capable of modulating?!

7. VE7DXW

Well this is the beauty of MDSR software. It does not require the I/Q siganls. You can connect your existing radio and take the signal from your 455kHz option filter port and downconvert it and plug it into the soundcard.
    You do not need an expensive I/Q output transceiver to do make the MDSR work and the downconverter circuit is really simple and easy to build.
    There is a great write up on this subject on our website - you schould check it out or join the MDSR usergroup for even more info. Download the software and give it a try. I think you will be plesantly surprised.

I/Q works well, but it adds a lot of complexity to the circuits and if the signals are not exactly off by 90deg the demodulators performance deceases rapidly. And most HAMs do not have the equipment needed to tune an I/Q criciut.

The MDSR is simple and effective and it works. Radio Amateurs all over the world have build it successful and have a great experience using the LIF - MDSR combination. The complexity of I/Q signals is just a frustrating experience for the most part.

All the best and 73;

Alex
    VE7DXW

8. KJ6BBS

I have downloaded the software, I am just trying to spec out how I will set it up so that I can hear the result. Currently I have the output jack on my PC occupied by my digital interface's TX jack. A splitter would work I guess, as of now I just hear whatever the radio gives me, there is no audio driven through my PC for listening, just for digital RX/TX.

9. VE7DXW

In the Spectrum Analyzer window click on the "disk" icon (bottom - left hand side) and select the MDSR-SA help. I will tell you exactly how to hook up the RS232 CAT interface. I see on QRZ that you have a FT-817 and a FT-987. We have documentation on how to install a LIF port into these radios.

If you join the group - in the file section we have PDF documentation on how to install the ports. It is located in the files section and organized by folder. You can download these and copy and distribute these instructions to your friends.

Thans and I hope you will have alot of fun with the MDSR - LIF development.

Thanks;

Alex

10. N9IZ

N9IZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I took a quick look at one of the hyperlinks. I bet this would also work on one of the non-Pro Icom 746 or 756 radios. My original IC-756 Classic had dual filter positions in the 455 khz position and 9 mhz IF (maybe the IC-746 had the same architecture). Using this radio feature you could operate the radio in normal operation with first set of filters selected and then switch to the other one (the second 455 khz filter slot) and go to SDR mode with the push of a button. Neat concept for someone that may have one of these older radios still in the shack. In full disclosure I must admit I'm currently running a Flex-5000 that I dearly love. If I'd known about something like this a year ago I may have kept the 756 and tried this rather than spend the $$$ on the Flex. In my opinion, this type of experimentation and adaptation of new technology is the essence of our ham radio hobby.

Jeff

11. VE7DXW

Hi Jeff;

I agree the FLEX radio is a great radio if I could afford it and if I had the room to put it someplace.

I can run the MSDR on a laptop computer, it plugs into my FT-817 and a long wire as antenna, I am on the air. This lets me set up almost anywhere and I get SDR performace on the go. Just set it up in a hotel room and I have a firstclass radio with a realtime spectrum analyzer. It all builds on top of what I already have.

Anyways, I think someone with your experience would be a great asset to any group. So I still encourage you to take part in the group and have some fun experimenting. All you need, to get stared, is an old HF receiver that uses 455kHz as IF.

See you at the group;

Alex
    VE7DXW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.