ad: AbAuRe-1

General logbook programmer question

Discussion in 'QRZ XML Logbook Data' started by DL8WAA, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. DL8WAA

DL8WAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I'm sorry for that silly question but I'm unable to make head or tail of the so far available guides and forum threads. A similar question has been asked by KD2UJ but is still unanswered.

I write and provide a contest post-processor software and I want to include QRZ.com XML access. The so far only purpose is to check if a callsign exists at QRZ.com or not.
    • Is the idea that just I have to sign up for that access and every user of my program can use the look-up feature?
    • Or is the idea that I just provide the option but only users with (paid) QRZ.com account can use it?

Thanks!

73 Frank DL8WAA

2. NY4I

NY4I QRZ Lifetime Member #487 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As with any third-party service, each user needs to supply their account info. You cannot simply embed your credentials in a program and let others use it. That is called multiplexing and is generally against the license terms of similar services. Your other option is to allow the user to supply their QRZ credentials and it they are not an XML or Premium subscriber, you do the lookup the hard way (parse the HTML). Personally, I think it better to get the XML feed and also have your user's support QRZ by subscribing. If the program is a great help, this seems a small cost.

To summarize, do NOT put your credentials in the program and distribute that. Have the user enter their own credentials.

If I were QRZ, I would check to see that the same account is not being accessed from many different IP addresses over a short period of time to catch this as it puts an unfair load on their servers.

Good luck,

Tom NY4I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.