Callsign
ad: dxeng

Thread: Conductive Copper foil Tape for Antenna?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Question Conductive Copper foil Tape for Antenna?

Has anyone made an antenna using conductive copper foil tape? If so, please tell me about it. How different is copper tape from copper wire?

Thanks, Richard

Wire is stronger.

Copper foil tape is handy if it's adhesive backed and you're sticking it to a window or something. It might even be handy (if adhesive backed) for "winding" a helical radiator on a shaft.

But it's usually pretty thin, so I wouldn't use it for anything self-supporting.

As a "conductor" for an antenna, it should be fine. The issue is mostly mechanical strength.

I always thought about trying to make a copper-tape yagi with fishing poles for a lightweight beam good for portable stuff.... Wonder if anyone else has actually done so?

Quote Originally Posted by NH7RO View Post
    I always thought about trying to make a copper-tape yagi with fishing poles for a lightweight beam good for portable stuff.... Wonder if anyone else has actually done so?
    There was a QST article years ago for exactly this, and I did build it.

It's okay, but frankly aluminum tubing is every bit as lightweight and if you use telescoping sections even a 20m beam can be collapsed to fit in the trunk of a car, and it's less finnicky. You can build a 20m beam from thinwall aluminum tubing that weighs 5 lbs for portable work. It may not survive an ice storm, but I wouldn't expect it to.

Several years ago my club had a project where new Tech's made a copper tape 2m antenna on plexiglass that folded up for there go bag at the folds wire was bonded to the tape. They worked well next was a copper J pole project.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado