ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Unhappy Yahoo TS-590S Group & the Loss of Ham Community

I recently got back into Amateur Radio after being away from the hobby for 40+ years. I have been licensed now for a little over a year-and-a-half. It am still amazed how things have changed, and the wealth of information that is available over the internet. When I got my General Class ticket in January, 2010, I picked up an old Kenwood TS-530S off of eBay. The rig worked o.k. but needed work, which with the use of internet sources I did my self (the days of a local Elmer seem to be lost to me). I found a wealth of information on various site that other Ham's had put up, email back and forth with other hams, and I also join a Yahoo Group for the radio, and got my rig restored. I got my Extra Class in June of 2010, and this pattern continued. As I continued to upgrade and build my station. I collected info and joined groups for newly aquired rigs, for antennas I built/bought, amplifiers, logging programs, etc. I recently aquired a Kenwood TS-590S, my first rig that is actually still being sold and has not been discontinued. This was also a major state-of-the art step for me with most of my past rigs being from the 70's, 80's and early 90's. So to follow my usual pattern and I searched for all the info I could find on the TS-590, which as one might expect the newer something is the less info posted on the web. So I went to one of my usual sources and found the Yahoo Group for the Kenwood TS-590S. I submitted my request for membership, including a statement that I was a new TS-590S owner and want to get the most from my new rig, and share what I learn about the rig with other. Once you join a group you have to wait for the moderator to accept your request. Well this morning I received my reply. My request for membership in the group was DENIED, there was no explanation and the "decision is final."

This decision is not going to change my life, I am not going to sell off my TS-590, but this seems to be consistent with a trend I see in Ham Radio. As I have progress toward newer gear, etc., I have seen less willingness by other hams to help fellow hams. I think the concept of community, fellowship, and old hams helping new is something the hobby is losing. The is sad to me, because when I was first a ham in the late 60's the one thing I remember most is the local ham community, the older hams helping me and me helping them when I could. Back then when someone's equipment was broken, or not working right it was not just "their problem," but all of ours, and we would all pitch in and help where we could. Today, it seems that the community has changed to every ham for themselves, and that the concept of the Ham community is slowly being lost. This of course is just my opinion, from my position, and my view that I wanted to express. Comments are welcome. Jerry W5JDF

2. Default

Jerry:

Don't let some inward looking lids turn you off. That is a mighty fine rig you have there, just use it and have fun. You will find plenty of hams willing to share and help. It seems that the internet makes lids more visible; treat them like qrn and turn on the noise filter.

73. Bill

---------------------------
    Burt for President and Oracle

I find yahoo sucks ,

Perhaps the "membership denied" thing was a mistake. If I were you, and I really wanted to join that particular Yahoo group, then I'd email the moderator of the group to query it.
    Pete M3KXZ
    GQRP 11767, SKCC 10219.

Jerry, was your callsign visible in the "join" request? The groups owner says
    "Joining mail:

- In the joining mail your valid amateur radio call MUST be visible for me.

- You have to be a radio amateur with a valid call

- You must have a valid @ address

If this is NOT the case I will deny the joining!"
    Pete M3KXZ
    GQRP 11767, SKCC 10219.

There is a point to consider I don't recall if I put my call sign in there or not. I may consider resubmitting the request with the call sign included and see what happens. Something to think about. Jerry W5JDF

I also suspect that this is an honest mistake (he pushed wrong button) or, like Peter suggests, perhaps you didn't include your callsign. If it was the latter then I think he could have been a bit nicer about it especially since your message made it pretty clear that you're not a spammer. I notice that the callsign requirement is only mentioned on the front page, not the signup page so it's easy to forget or miss.

A bit of a related soap box topic for me:
    I'm pleased to see that at least the archives are publicly visible for that group. It aggravates me to go to a ham related Yahoo Group hoping to do a quick scan or search of the old messages and find that the moderator / owner has decided that his group is so special that you need to join and wait for approval before you can even read the messages. That makes no sense to me.

I have resubmitted my request with my call included, we will see what happens and I will post the results. I suppose if I get denied again I could just start my own group for my 590, 570, 930, and 830....hihi Jerry

Well, I resubmitted my request with my call and guess what.....it was approved. However, my thoughts about the changes in Ham radio I think are still valid. We will see what I get from the Yahoo Group. Jerry W5JDF

Everything changes, and I don't think the changes in ham radio have been bad at all...I've been continuously active for 46 years, with virtually no breaks.

The internet changed lots of stuff. Not only is the "local Elmer" pretty much gone, but I hear lots of people never even leave the house to go shopping anymore...they buy everything except maybe food via the internet, and it's delivered to them. 40 years ago nobody could have possibly believed that would happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast