ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Ham repeater encode decode question

I see listings for repeaters containing frequency, PL, +-. How do you know if you use the PL for encode and decode or just one of them? How do you know the answer? Thanks Ron

It's always the encode, which you transmit, yourself. The repeater decodes that.

Some (not all) repeaters also transmit a tone, which is usually the same one they use for access. If so, you'd want to decode that, if you wish to. You don't need to, this is just to keep your squelch from opening with other signals that don't have that tone coding.

Someone told me to put the same number in encode and decode. Is this causing a problem with some repeaters? Some do work fine this way. Thanks Ron

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    It's always the encode, which you transmit, yourself. The repeater decodes that.

Some (not all) repeaters also transmit a tone, which is usually the same one they use for access. If so, you'd want to decode that, if you wish to. You don't need to, this is just to keep your squelch from opening with other signals that don't have that tone coding.

Quote Originally Posted by KD2ANB View Post
    Someone told me to put the same number in encode and decode. Is this causing a problem with some repeaters? Some do work fine this way. Thanks Ron
    This will only cause a problem on repeaters that do not TX the PL tone, you will get into the repeater but not be able to hear it. The trouble will be on your end it will not cause any problems for the repeater if you use the decode also

W5RB Guest

As others have said , most folks use encode only . The club repeater here does TX a tone , but generally the only users who set up to decode are those with fairly high base antennas , who are bothered by a repeater on the same channel pair about 100 miles from here .

Sounds like I'm better to remove all the Decodes and see the difference with stations a couldn't get to come back. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by AB9RU View Post
    This will only cause a problem on repeaters that do not TX the PL tone, you will get into the repeater but not be able to hear it. The trouble will be on your end it will not cause any problems for the repeater if you use the decode also

There are a relatively few repeaters that the output CTCSS tone is different from the input tone.

As for decoding: All signals, regardless of tone, are going to be received when the receiver is in the "standard squelch" (no tone) mode. When in the decode mode only signals with that particular tone will open the squelch although the signal will still be received by the unit. You just won't "hear" them!

Glen, K9STH

I'd only use "decode" on my receiver on those frequencies where there's another repeater on the same frequency and it drives me nuts.

If you don't find that happening, there's no reason to program or use "decodes" at all.

Around here we sometimes use it as a way of alerting people to SKYWARN events. One of our repeaters was set up to transmit a special PL tone if there was a SKYWARN callup. This worked well, but they've been using a simplex frequency instead lately, so that people don't get alerted whenever the repeater IDs. Some of our super secret ARES frequencies also employ tone squelch, so we won't hear people trying to jam us.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Another thing that some repeaters do is only put a tone on the output if there is a tone on the input.

This way, if you set decode, you don't have to listen to the repeater announce itself every 10 minutes or chime the top of the hour, etc. Nice if you trust the repeater to be up and really only want to hear what people say.
    73 de N4CR, Phil