ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

Default ID 880 H Data Cable(s) question

I got an ICOM ID 880H several months ago, and I'm having a blast with it. D-Star is amazing.

My information indicates that there are two programming/data cable options, the OPC-1529R, only available with a 9-pin RS-232, and the OPC-478UC only available with a USB.

The 1529 allows low-speed data, the 478 does not, at least at the time my info sheets were written. My laptop, which I would be using for EMCOMM, hence my great interest in data, has no RS-232. Further, somebody told me that the cable would not work well with a RS-232 - USB adapter. And my experience with those adapters hasn't been stellar anyway.

Are there any work-arounds, updates/upgrades, software, etc. solutions? Or have you used an adapter with satisfactory results?

Default My perspective

Only points in common are the radio and a laptop without serial ports.

I use RT Systems w/ their USB cable to program the 880. I have the same software and cables for other radios and they all work well together.

I made a data cable from information on the net and have used it with DRATS. It uses a serial 9 pin connector seems to work OK.

I use Edgeport's Inside Out USB converters. I agree that the converters depending on chip sets, drivers and your OS can be a problem. I am using XP Home SP3 on a HP DV1000 laptop and the combination has played well with all the different radios I have had connected. The Edgeport is a premium priced device and this one is a 4 port with 25 pin connectors. I also have a 2 port with 9 pin connectors.

Recently the operation system on the laptop got screwed up so I decided to reformat and reload. Something I was dreading especially making sure I had a good driver install for the Edgeport. The converter is key to using the PC for radio operations. It went much better than expected! The operating system was able to find the driver I needed on the net. So if you find a working Edgeport without the driver, it seems the company has put it on the net for access.

I hope that helps.

Mike
    73, Mike
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends...