Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crimp connector size for RG8x coax?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Crimp connector size for RG8x coax?

What BNC crimp connector size do you use for RG8x coax? I believe the RG-59 connectors are supposed to fit but there is more than one RG-59 connector out there. I've ordered some made for use with RG-59 size Belden 8281 (heavily braided shield) cable, is this going to work for RG8x cable?

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Be careful; the center conductor of RG8X is much larger (16AWG) than the center conductor of RG59 cables (20AWG) and the pin might not even fit the conductor at all.

The RF Connection has an RG8X crimp connector I've used and seems to work okay: P/N RFC1107-X: http://therfc.com/bnc.htm

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    Be careful; the center conductor of RG8X is much larger (16AWG) than the center conductor of RG59 cables (20AWG) and the pin might not even fit the conductor at all.

The RF Connection has an RG8X crimp connector I've used and seems to work okay: P/N RFC1107-X: http://therfc.com/bnc.htm
    The center wire on my RG8X is 0.055" which is around 15 or 16 gauge. I have a feeling I will have to remove a few center strands to get it to fit.

fp

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by AC0FP View Post
    The center wire on my RG8X is 0.055" which is around 15 or 16 gauge. I have a feeling I will have to remove a few center strands to get it to fit.

fp
    By specification, it is supposed to be #16AWG. I wouldn't remove any strands!

The RF Connection has #RFC1107-X crimp BNC for Mini-RG8: http://www.therfc.com/bnc.htm ($2.75 ea)
    Amphenol makes #31-5999-RFX for much mo money ($6.40 ea, Mouser #523-31-5999-RFX).

Quote Originally Posted by WA7PRC View Post
    The RF Connection has #RFC1107-X crimp BNC for Mini-RG8: http://www.therfc.com/bnc.htm ($2.75 ea)
    Amphenol makes #31-5999-RFX for much mo money ($6.40 ea, Mouser #523-31-5999-RFX).
    I'm looking for of a bargain price. I am running less than 50 watts in this cable so I don't think preparing for 1.5 kilowatts is necessary!

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

I'm looking for of a bargain price. I am running less than 50 watts in this cable so I don't think preparing for 1.5 kilowatts is necessary!
    I assumed you wanted to use the correct connector, regardless of power level and price. How many do you need?

BNC connectors for 75 ohm actually have a smaller pin size than 50 ohm connectors. Sometimes they don't mate up so well because of this. You can look at the pins of assembled connectors and see the difference.

You can probably buy the right connector for a decent price. Years ago, we used to buy loads of RG8X TNC connectors for the old Uniden SMR phones, but they made BNC connectors as well. IIRC, those connectors fit LMR240 and some other variants of low loss cable, so you might look for them.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...76&eventPage=2

Joe
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

The RFC connector is fine, I use them.

I recommend not cutting strands because it creates a weak point and the "cut off ends" of the strands have sharp points which can dislocate because the soft foam dielectric isn't terribly supportive. It only takes the "right" connector ($2.75) to have one that works fine and doesn't require cutting any strands.

Then there is always plan B, the UHF connector with UG-176 reducer! The nice thing about UHF connectors, they can accept a wide range of center conductor diameters. This is only for a single 20' inside run. My quick short BNC interconnection cables use RG58 and it looks like there going to stay that way.

fp

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast