ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

You guys might want to look for the K2RIW 2 meter amp design. I think the plans may have been in CQ or 73 magazine 20 or 30 years ago. I have built one of those, with 4CX250's. I used to run it on SSB and FM once in a while, 6-700 watts output. I still have the amp deck "somewhere", but the PS got full of spider webs up in the barn, and was a dangerous death trap so in the can it went, when I moved down here to Florida.

While QST had many 2M articles that were also in the HB there were also seperate VHF manuals from ARRL and CQ plus Frank Jones. Then there is the W6SAI HB and HRM which is where the RIW was published ....I think.

73 was mostly a joke

I thought K2RIW's amp was in QST. Evidently not; here's the search results for K2RIW's amp articles in the QST archives on arrl.org:

Apr 1972 - QST (Pg. 49)
    Strip-Line Kilowatt Amplifier for 432 MHz, A--Part 1
    Author: Knadle, Jr., Richard, K2RIW
    Keywords: CONSTRUCTION HOMEBREW AMPLIFIER 70 CM TUBE 4CX250

May 1972 - QST (Pg. 59)
    Strip-Line Kilowatt Amplifier for 432 MHz, A--Part 2
    Author: Knadle, Jr., Richard, K2RIW
    Keywords: CONSTRUCTION HOMEBREW AMPLIFIER 70 CM TUBE 4CX250

Feb 1970 - Ham Radio (Pg. 6)
    Dual-Band Stripline Amplifier/Tripler for 144 and 432 MHz
    Author: Knadle, Jr, Richard T., K2RIW
    This item is not available for download by Members

I know I have K2RIW's dual 4CX250B 144 MHz amp plans around here somewhere. Maybe in the EIMAC EME notes.
    73, Mike
    http://www.w0btu.com

Memory is the 2nd thing that goes Mike At least I have an excuse, Im in my Senile Citizen years

The RIW amps (6 Meters, with three parallel 4CX250's,) and 2 Meters (Push-pull 4CX250's) were in the "Radio Amateur's VHF Manual, Third edition, Copyright 1972. I know they were reviewed in QST, but I'm not sure if the full construction article was presented in that magazine. I'm sure it was offered in some ARRL Handbook editions after 1972 as well.

I built a 2m KW amplifier using a single 4CX1000K tube (I would not recommend using that tube as it's quite rare I think, I have two). I used the GM3SEK Triode board for control, it regulates the grid/screen supply and provides relay sequencing and tripping. Ian's board also has some excellent documentation - tables for calculating all component values.

At least the amp has now been pushed for many hours on JT65 on EME and works perfectly, link:http://www.tf3cy.is/2m-linear

I would also consider using other tubes like the Russian GS35b (getting rarer now but you can get them for $135 on Ebay.

3, Benni TF3CY

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4