ad: Flexradio-1

Field Day Report - K7LED

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

What do you get when you combine a dynamite location with an active, established and organized group of friendly folks? You get the best damn field day possible. At least that's what I was treated to this past weekend as I was fortunate enough to attend the Mike and Key Amateur Radio Club's annual field day event.

This club operates the 6A field day station under the callsign K7LED. They have been doing this event for more than 30 years and they are blessed with a superb location. Situated on a pre-WWI era military fort, now a Washington State Park, Fort Flagler is a location that truly has something for everyone. The group rents a 10 acre dry campsite for its members as well as a refurbished WWII military barracks building for those who don't care to camp. The park itself is a living museum and hosts some huge concrete bunkers and gun (cannon) mounts that are a well preserved piece of early 20th century military legend. The huge gun batteries were designed to protect the Admiralty Inlet, the entrance to Puget Sound and most of the principal cities of Washington, from enemy attack. Three such forts were built and staffed back at the turn of the last century so that their guns could triangulate any enemy ship that dared enter the waters. Not long after they were built, however, everything changed when military aircraft came onto the scene and by the 1930's the forts were completely obsolete. The military released the lands to the Washington state park system back in the 1950's after having never fired a single shot at an enemy.

[​IMG]

The park has several 100 foot high bluffs that overlook the water and the field day operation sets up right atop one of the 1899 battery locations. The view is unobstructed to the east and the south, making the location perfect for covering the entire United states with one or two antennas per band. Down below the bluffs at sea level, the CW team sets up a couple of transmitters that launch their signals right from the edge of the salt water, another great location. The 100 foot vertical separation provides a good isolation between the phone and CW operations and it has become a tradition for the club in what they now call CW Beach.

[​IMG]

I arrived there in the Zed on Thursday afternoon and was warmly greeted by the camp host, Dick - WA7NIW, a.k.a. the Wagonmaster. In no time he had us parked into a comfortable location in the club camping area which is just a short walk up to the operating positions on the bluffs. Setup began at 11:00 AM local time on Friday and the team, now numbering in the dozens, spent most of the day erecting a number of towers and some very large and unique wire dipole antennas, the most notable of which was the two 40 meter strings. These wire Yagi antennas are built using a series of inverted-vee antennas that are supported by about 200 yards of rope that is strung over the top of a pair of 100 foot fir trees. The whole antenna was already built (having been used for the past few years) and came spooled in large hose reels for easy deployment. Two such units were built, one facing east and one facing south. Last year the 40 chief, Dean - N7XS set a club record with over 1000 contacts on 40 with this setup.

[​IMG]

I got to operate the 40 meter setup for a 2 hour stretch on Saturday and had a great time. At one point I achieved a QSO run rate of 147 contacts per hour which to be honest, I didn't know I was capable of. There's nothing like having a pileup no matter what the situation and this one was as fun to operate as any.

The club also operated dedicated 15 and 20 meter stations with monoband beams as well as an 80 meter dipole. The 20 meter station operated literally underground in the soundproofed concrete bunker beneath the tower. It was like bringing life back to a 75 year old radio station. I got to operate the 20 meter station on Sunday morning and won't soon forget the experience. There was just something magical about it.

Also, back on top of the bluff, a great VHF/UHF station was setup, also with its own tower and stacked 6m/2m/440 Yagi arrays. I happened to walk in on them late Saturday afternoon and was truly impressed to hear them work sections in Georgia on 2 meters, more than 2000 miles away. Having never worked VHF sideband, my jaw just dropped. It was great.

[​IMG]

There was also a GOTA station which introduced ham radio to a number of cub scouts. It's never too early to spark the interest and we certainly hope that the experience will leave an impression on these kids.

I also had the great pleasure to operate the 20 meter CW station down on CW Beach. Mike, N7WA was the chief operator and he quickly showed me the ropes at operating a contest CW station using the N1MM software. Even though I qualified at 20 WPM back in the 80's, it's been quite a while since I had to copy quickly. Mike worked right there along side me and helped fill in the numerous blanks in my mind as CW contacts came racing in over the headphones. Working together we did quite well topping out at around 60 QSO's per hour. The experience once again made me want to break out my Bencher key and go for some more.

[​IMG]

Back at the campsite there was plenty of food, plenty of friends, families and kids everywhere. Nobody was in want of anything as everyone helped each other regardless of the task or need. The Mike and Key club treated us like family even though we'd never met any of them before and when we left the site we had quite a few new friends that we'd made over the short weekend.

What was the final score? Who knows... I'm sure it will be a great showing in the 6A class and I can't wait to see the results of the non-contest, as the ARRL likes to call it. These guys deserve all the recognition they can get for the hard work and dedication to the hobby. Regardless of the tally, however, the K7LED team managed to do it all and do it exceptionally well while making it a load of fun for everyone.

We certainly hope to join them again at a future Field Day.

Click here to see our larger collection of 23 photos.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh man!

I'd give my right pinkie for that ground conductivity!

Sounds like an idyllic location with an idyllic team. Thanks for sharing:)

Chip W1YW

3. W5SNA

W5SNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard ya'll from Brookhaven MS on 20m and tried to work you from the W5WQ club, but the pile-up was too bad. Great set-up there!

4. K7ELH

K7ELH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Had the pleasure of working K7LED from the NWS office in San Diego, CA under the callsign K6SDG. Looks like you had a great time!

73 de K7ELH

5. KD0HRM

KD0HRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice posting with great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Scott
    KD0HRM

6. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the pleasure of doing FD 2004 at Ft Flagler with K7LED; a wonderful location and a very good crew. And it was nice to work you this year from W8M here in Michigan.

Cheers,

Cortland
    KA5S

7. N7MER

N7MER Ham Member QRZ Page

It was great to have you and the XYL at our annual field day Fred, we had a great time, and we appreciated you being there. If you wish to come back next year, we would be very pleased to host you again. Ivy, WA7IVY worked hard this year to organize it, and it showed, I just did the grunt work...LOL

I think we did pretty good, conditions could have been a little better, but they were much better then last year.

Glad you enjoyed it, and we of course enjoyed having you there.

73's

Richard

8. K7XK

K7XK Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred we loved having you and Robin there with us! :D You two are great people, and we really enjoyed your company! You guys are so fun! Your bus is awesome by the way! LOL! I am glad you enjoyed K7LED's Field Day :) And I'm glad that you got some decent weather from Washington while you were here! It would be really great if you could come to our Field Day next year. You are always welcome in Washington! Thanks for coming and we hope to see you again!
    -K7XK

9. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Last BIG Field Day....

If you love Field Day (who doesn't?), check out this video: The Last BIG Field Day. It's a documentary of the 2004 W3AO operation when they claimed the 50A Class. W3AO has "won" Field Day every year since 1999 - pretty good chance they're in your log on one or more bands.

Whether you run two transmitters or 20 (nobody does 50 anymore... hence the LAST Big Field Day), you'll enjoy the story of how this group assembles and operates a huge Field Day installation. It makes a good club meeting program.

Gary KN4AQ

10. K6CU

K6CU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for hearing me!

Thanks for the story and photos. I think it is always interesting to see who, and what equipment, is on the other end! You're right, FD really isn't a contest, but it is a challenge to do better than the previous year.

BTW, I worked K7LED on cw, using a HW-8 qrp rig, running all of 3 watts on a battery with a solar panel charging. You guys not only got out very well, but you heard the little stations like mine!

Here's a photo of my 1st Field Day -- 50 years ago!

1961 Field Day .jpg

11. N5TGL

N5TGL Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked K7LED as KT5TX (Katy Amateur Radio Society) on 20m I believe. One of your former club members was here, Vaclav. Not sure if he picked you guys up during the evening, but he sure did hear y'all.

12. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Location, location, location!
    And great bunch of super operators!

Too bad we do not have a picture of phased 40 meters vertical IN THE WATTER !

Ex K7LED memeber now in STX

Sorry, I did not see the previous post!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  13. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey great to see the club get news like this, way to go mike and key!

Bummer I was over at Ft Warden on the other side of the sound that day I wish I remembered I would have taken the boat over and said hello!

14. KD9ZR

KD9ZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad you had a great field day, but I don't think you have to cuss to describe it. In case there are those who don't know the D word is a cuss word. I am not a prude, but I do not think it should be used here. We have children reading QRZ.

Fred

15. WS4Y

WS4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the post and pic's Fred. Lots of K7LED Q's in my log. This year we worked you on 40 20 and 15 all cw...I suppose from your
    "cw beach" location. We thought this was a good FD.
    Thanks again & 73 Bill WS4Y

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.