ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

Smile AMP Elmer help needed for a Maverick 250

Hi, I have a D&A Manufacture Maverick 250 amp. I think this is a multi mode as it has a switch for 40, 20 and 15 meters on the front.
    I do not have a manual and have never run an amp before. The tubes are 4 6me6 and I have no idea what the drive is or the output.
    I was told the amp will do 750w on ssb is this right. There are 4 other tubes and the only number/letters I find is, AJ help?

I would like to hook this up to a Kenwood TS-520s. Do I need anything special to hook it to the radio? I am asking cause I don't know.
    All this amp stuff is new to me.

If anyone has a manual and can make me a copy and send it via mail or email let me know...Any and all other info about this amp would
    be very helpful to me.

Thanks Elmers for your help.

Richard KJ4ZIZ
    Richard KJ4ZIZ,
    SKCC #7381
    Listening to the world with SSB and CW...:cool:

The D&A 250 is an old CB amp that used the 4 smaller tubes to drive the 4 sweep tubes. (5 watts drive) it is not usable for anything other than causing problems and you do not want it associated with you or ham radio.
    The ts 520 will over drive it to the point of total destruction. Best advice is throw it in the parts pile.
    Joe

it will give you 300 watts of disgustingly horrible output. not suitable to Amateur radio or anything else.

Schematic:
    http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/d_and_a/...ck_250_sch.gif

Is a class C amp. Do not use.

Default Yikes...

Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

Guess how many times this question is going to be asked in the next year and win a free subscription to "S-9" magazine!

Yes, gonna be a good contest!

Gary

I guess 19

I agree. That amplifier should never, ever be used, period. Not even on the ham bands.

The sweep tubes in that amp are worth a king's ransom. Sell them, and buy a real linear.
    73, Mike
    http://www.w0btu.com

Quote Originally Posted by WG7X View Post
    Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

Guess how many times this question is going to be asked in the next year and win a free subscription to "S-9" magazine!

Yes, gonna be a good contest!

Gary
    over/under on it being used anyways?

ZIZ:

The bandswitch on the front of the "linear" (I say "linear" because the units is no where being linear) was an attempt by many of the illegal "CB" amplifier manufacturers to get around the ban on selling such equipment. There is absolutely no way that the equipment is going to even try to work anywhere except around 27 MHz. The output is dirty, definitely not linear, etc. The tubes were cheap when the unit was originally sold but today are very expensive. I would sell the tubes and then "part out" the actual unit. There will be some parts that are usable for other projects.

Glen, K9STH

Quote Originally Posted by W0BTU View Post
    I agree. That amplifier should never, ever be used, period. Not even on the ham bands.

The sweep tubes in that amp are worth a king's ransom. Sell them, and buy a real linear.
    I think this is a great suggestion. If the tubes are good (can't tell by just looking at them), the tubes are worth more than the amplifier. I'd "part it out," put the tubes on eBay (if you know they're good), use the money to buy something else.

I have a D&A Manufacture Maverick 250 amplifier. I think this is a multi mode as it has a switch for 40, 20 and 15 meters on the front.
    Nope. This is a well known illegal CB amplifier that used TV sweep tubes (1960s/1970s). TV Sweep tubes have not been manufacutred in USA or Europe since 1980 !
    The ONLY sweep tube (EL509/EL519) still produced is in Eastern Europe for older old Soviet bloc countries (for their old TVs).
    This glass sweep tube tube will not be manufactured many more years.

I do not have a manual and have never run an amp before. The tubes are 4 6ME6 and I have no idea what the drive is or the output.
    Unsuitable for your Kenwood TS-520. These units only required 5 watts drive (cheap CB radio < $100) ... luck to get 250 to 300 watts output - on new tubes.
    Your Kenwood TS-520 already provides a solid 100 to 120 watts RF output .... doubling RF power output is ONLY 3 dB increase (you are suppose to KNOW that as part of your
    PCC licnese study) ... you could upgrade your coax and antenna and get 3 dB improvement !!

I was told the amp will do 750w on SSB is this right.
    NOPE, CB urban legend.

I would like to hook this up to a Kenwood TS-520s.
    BAD IDEA. Here you have a quality Japanese HF radio from 1970s that used 6146 RF tubes (better than those sweep tubes).

Do I need anything special to hook it to the radio? I am asking because I don't know.
    All this amp stuff is new to me.
    New radio amateurs, like yourself, -- need to get better educated BEFORE spending $$ (that many are hard pressed to get) and using/hooking up HF amplifiers.

You can ALWAYS -- ASK HERE -- (or read reviews on eHam.net) -- BEFORE you make a purchase with your hard earned $$$.

This was NOT a "bargain" the seller may have told you -- he is very HAPPY to have your money $$.

ELMER ADVICE: Sell the Sweep tubes for $$$, part out the rest with your local scrap metal dealer for a few $$.
    ==

I see you have plenty of other radios (QRZ profile) .. so take some $$ and buy a Quality used or new HF amplifier (or sell some of your other radios).
    The Heathkit SB-200 or SB-220 are a good used ampliifer purchase -- given your DIY builder background.
    Find one and restore it -- the Heathkit Construction manuals are available to GUIDE you.

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 06-14-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Nullius in verba

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast