Callsign
ad: dxeng

Thread: Are the 2m repeater offsets pretty standard? ...

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

Default Are the 2m repeater offsets pretty standard? ...

I recently installed a new Icom 2200H in the minivan. Okay, to be honest I paid the dealer to install the wiring for me. ;-)

But I was attempting to use a local repeater at 145.110 after setting up the correct PL tone. Another guy came back on and nicely informed me that I was indeed coming through okay, but on Simplex. My radio wasn't moving down to 144.510 when I transmit.

I'm very new to this so I had made some assumptions. My Yaesu FT-270 HT has all of the normal repeater offsets built-in. You can turn that feature off, but it's enabled by default. Given that I assumed the Icom mobile would be the same way.

I dug through the Icom manual and reset it to factory settings, then looked at the "Auto repeater" section of the manual and it was indeed still on. Odd.

Now when I'm on the Yaesu HT using 145.110 I see a little '-' icon on the display telling me the proper offset is in place. I see no such icon on the Icom's display. But when I move the radio to 146.880 I do see the little '-' icon on the display. Digging through the Icom's manual some more I found this:

Frequency Range and Built-In Offset Direction (Icom 2200 manual):
    145.200 - 145.495 => "-" Appears
    146.610 - 146.995 => "-" Appears
    147.000 - 147.395 => "+" Appears

I see that 145.110 is clearly outside all three of those ranges?!

Now let's take a look at the Yaesu FT-270 HT.

Frequency Range and Built-In Offset Direction (Yaesu manual):
    145.100 - 145.500 => "-" Appears
    145.600 - 145.800 => "-" Appears

There's more but I think this is enough to point out the problem. 145.110 /IS/ part of the built-in offset range on the Yaesu but not on the Icom. Is this difference common? I had assumed that they would be standard. I realize that I can set it by hand if necessary, but it surprised me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. ;-)

Chris
    http://www.pretenseofknowledge.com/
    Last edited by SPEEDMASTER; 06-02-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typos

Pretty much, but there are a few oddballs still not following the ARRL plan. I've never owned a 2200, so I don't know how it is set up. However, most 2 meter, and 70 centimeter transceivers have a menu item which sets up the standard offsets. They can be changed for those few oddballs, in any case. You might invest in a Nifty Gadget's manual for the radio, as it makes programming much easier. As good as Icom is about writing manuals, there is still some "Engrish" to content with.
    Alan Applegate, KBG
    http://www.k0bg.com

Thanks again, Alan. It looks to be an Icom thing. A friend here has an Icom q7a and we looked in the manual, same setup there.

145.110 /IS/ part of the built-in offset range on the Yaesu but not on the Icom.
    Is this difference common? I had assumed that they would be standard.
    I realize that I can set it by hand if necessary, but it surprised me.
    There are differences between mfg. in many aspects .. just as an Apple IPhone is different from an Andriod phone.

In addition, the 2 meter allocation (4 MHz wide) used in North America (144 to 148 MHz) is not Worldwide.
    For example, in some parts of the World, radio amateurs only have a 2 MHz allocation (144 to 146 MHz) for 2 meters.

Segments of the 2 meter band have been allocated for different operations (ARRL BAND PLANS).

Sadly, most newcomers to hobby seem to want their own 2 meter FM repeater --
    but could care less about other modes: satellite, EME, meteor scatter, beacons, linear translators, APRS, SSB, CW, digital modes, packet (AX.25).

The OUTPUTS for FM Repeaters is suppose to STOP at 145.20 MHz, per ARRL Band Plans

145.10 - 145.20 MHz : Linear Translator Outputs
    145.20 - 145.50 MHz : FM Repeater Outputs
    http://www.arrl.org/band-plan-1
    ===
    Icom IC-2200H Manuals at the Icom America web page (Internet).
    http://www.icomamerica.com/en/downlo...px?Category=11

Repeater Operation (Setup) is covered on Pages 17 through 23.
    Page 17 shows the Basic Repeater setup of radio for new owners (and new radio amateurs)
    Sub audible Tones (CTCSS required for most repeaters in North America), page 19
    OFFSET Frequency is covered on Page 21.

Memory Operation is covered on pages 24 through 34

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 06-02-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Nullius in verba

Thanks, w9gb. I definitely found how to program the radio for the offsets I need. I was just surprised to learn it was different from the Yaesu. Pert of being a ham newb I guess. ;-)

145.110 is outside the normal repeater band plan. Sounds like Icom knew this.

Where is there a repeater with an output on 145.110?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    145.110 is outside the normal repeater band plan. Sounds like Icom knew this.

Where is there a repeater with an output on 145.110?
    AZ has a few. The FCC has allocated the repeater sub band to be from 144.5 to 145.5. This means the lowest input could be 144.51. That means its output would be 145.11. Many states have band plans that include this section, others do not.

Joe
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

Quote Originally Posted by K7JEM View Post
    AZ has a few. The FCC has allocated the repeater sub band to be from 144.5 to 145.5. This means the lowest input could be 144.51. That means its output would be 145.11. Many states have band plans that include this section, others do not.

Joe
    You're right.

I'm surprised to see some repeaters using 145.200 also, considering that's the ARISS voice uplink frequency...

So much for "coordination."

My area has some oddballs too. (Southwestern Pensylvania)
    The local repeater council has "appropriated" some
    designated simplex freqs for repeaters and there are a few
    rptrs with a 1mHz split as opposed to the normal 600kc.

The local repeater council has "appropriated" some designated simplex freqs for repeaters
    that happened here in northern CA too. although, a month ago a bunch of irate simplex users stormed the repeater council meeting and they recinded the mis-appropriation.

however, there's still a D-Star repeater (and maybe a moto too) operating in the simplex area.

but at least they are not stomping on the weak signal and sat areas.