ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

Default Drake TR-3 questions

Hello All, I've got a TR-3 that I have a question and wish some ideas/suggestions on.

With Function switch in the SSB poistion, and SideBand switch in left (no "x") as I switch the bandswitch thru it's positions I get the following:

80 meter = with function switch left, LSB light, with function to right - USB lights.
    40 meter = with function switch left, USB light, with function to right - LSB lights.
    20 meter = with function switch left, LSB light, with function to right - USB lights.
    15 & 10 all = with function switch left, USB light, with function to right - LSB lights.

Notice the 40 & 20 meter bands seem to be reversed. On 20 meters it seems to RX and TX ok and it's on freq with the LSB light on - and on the freq of other station. The RX & TX freq do not match exactly - or maybe I'm not tuning RX close enough - hard to get real clear as my 756Pro does.

If the Function Switch is moved to right ("X") position voices stay distorted as normal for wrong side band.

I was thinking it might be simple as a couple of wires crossed, but I look at the schematic and it sure looks like the S1a and S1b (front & rear) switches share most of the wiring from the USB/LSB lamps with the function switch taking a wire to ground depending on selection. My schematic is not very clear with some numbers/letters not legible.

Any ideas or suggestions of where to start? What could cause this?

73 de Ken H>

It's normal for the sideband lights to change as you switch bands. Don't remember offhand which band does what, but your description looks about right.

IIRC (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), the "x" position denotes where to put the sideband switch when running CW or AM.

You are correct, the sideband lights should change as bands are switched, 80 & 40 meters should be LSB with 20, 15, & 10 meters being USB. BUT the issue is 40 meters shows USB and 20 meters LSB. OR does the Drake work differently than normal rigs?

Yep, you are correct, the "x" should denote CW or AM or tuning position.

73 de Ken H>

Pulling out the TR-3 to check it out here....

Here's what mind does...SIDEBAND switch in the "right" (x-less) position:

80 LOWER
    40 UPPER
    20 LOWER
    15 UPPER
    10 UPPER
    10 UPPER
    10 UPPER

Same's yours. I'd say your TR-3 is just fine.

Also, just in case you don't know this, AM and CW have no PTT. Moving the switch into either of those positions puts the radio on the air.

Enjoy! Can't wait to take mine out in the car and see how she works.

"OR does the Drake work differently than normal rigs?"
    Drake always had their own way of doing things. Luckily for us, it usually resulted in a great radio!
    Last edited by W1GUH; 05-31-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Well Thank you for taking the time to confirm the light positions. Now "why" did Drake put 20 meters on LSB and 40 on USB? That puts the TR-3 showing LSB while the person you're talking to is on USB?? Weird!

Your CW is just like my rig - moving to "X" position and CW puts the rig on the air - how do you make that work with a key? Seems to be on the air all the time? Oh well - I'd not planned much in the way of CW with the rig anyway - just SSB for "old times sakes".

Thank you again.

73 de Ken H
    Last edited by K9FV; 06-01-2011 at 12:39 AM. Reason: add comment

The TR3 is not a very good CW rig. You basically have to switch the rig into transmit manually, make your transmission, then manually switch back to receive. No QSK or even semi break in. That's the only thing that keeps me from owning one...it was my Novice rig back in the 70s.
    Lee Hiers, AA4GA
    www.aa4ga.com www.qrpdx.com

Yep, that is right - no CW plans with the TR-3. That's like the Atlas 210 I have, no plans for CW with it either. It has to be manually switched.

I'm still trying to comprehend the 20 meters on LSB to talk to another station on USB!!

73 de Ken H>

Quote Originally Posted by K9FV View Post
    Well Thank you for taking the time to confirm the light positions. Now "why" did Drake put 20 meters on LSB and 40 on USB? That puts the TR-3 showing LSB while the person you're talking to is on USB?? Weird!
    No. You have to move the switch to the X position for 20m USB and 40m LSB. You should be able to receive the stations well with the correct sideband selection as indicated by the lights. If not, you may have a filter problem. I use my TR-3 on 40m LSB often.

'FV said:

Your CW is just like my rig - moving to "X" position and CW puts the rig on the air - how do you make that work with a key? Seems to be on the air all the time? Oh well - I'd not planned much in the way of CW with the rig anyway - just SSB for "old times sakes".
    The key jack shorts itself without a key in the jack. With a key, it's normal.

It appears the Sideband switch "X" setting is being confused when operating USB or LSB.

The only time the sideband switch "X" setting is used is when tuning the transmitter and/or operating CW or AM. In Sideband, either USB or LSB, the "X" means nothing.

After following the tune up instructions in the TR3 operator's manual, set the Mode switch to SSB then select the desired sideband using the Sideband switch. The correct sideband filter will be selected when the sideband indicator on the front panel lights up (USB or LSB indicator).

All this is discussed in the TR3's operator's manual.

The CW socket on the TR3 is a "N.C" (Normally Closed) socket. This is clearly shown on the TR3 schematic at the back of the TR3 operator's manual.

73s
    Mike
    W5RKL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast