ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Default What Is This device ???

Hello I hope Im in the right forum to ask this question. My neighbor came across this device from an old apartment building and we have no clue what it might be. Looks like it's from the 1930's does anyone know what this is and what it was used for, it has no model numbers or anything written on it. Thanks Jim, KD8GFC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kind of looks like a countdown timer.
    Plug it in, set the minutes you want the thing to run, plug in the running device, and there you go; shuts off automatically after X minutes.

I wondered what happened to that.
    Please ship it to me ASAP.
    I am stuck in the year 1765 without it!!
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Quote Originally Posted by K0SPN View Post
    Kind of looks like a countdown timer.
    Plug it in, set the minutes you want the thing to run, plug in the running device, and there you go; shuts off automatically after X minutes.
    We thought that to but if it was a timming device why would it have a gauge that says Heat-O-Meter ? Strange maybe someone out there has seen or used one of these what ever it might be. Thanks for the reply. Jim !!

Looks like a Time version of a Thermostat. Perhaps the Heat-o-meter tells you the temperate of the units internal workings (aka crude load meter).
    "[I]Keep the Amateur in Amateur Radio. Keep the professionals and Part 90 out[/I]." Ed Brooks, W5HTW (SK)

[B][SIZE=3]If you can't make fun of yourself, go sit in the truck :cool: - W5WPL[/SIZE][/B]

It seems to be a 1930s "heat regulator thermostat". There are vintage ads for them on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-POST-ADS...#ht_3127wt_900

I'm curious how it regulated the fire, via the coal conveyor, the heating oil valve, gas valve, etc.
    Steve

If you have to worry about the cost of HF e-mail, you can't afford the boat.

CW: The mode that accomplishes the most with the least circuitry, the least spectrum, and the least power.

What hath God wrought?
    He hath wrought that pounding brass still kicks .- ... ...

It looks like it cut off the 110V to the old furnace (oil, coal). In those days there may have not been any thermostats. All they could do is control the size of the flame, so this would have been a huge advantage.

The house I grew up in had manually shoveled coal until I was 7 years old. The existing furnace was converted to gas. Until then, there was no thermostat, just a damper control. It was a small winding type key connected to chains that ran down through the floor to a flap on the air intake duct. During winter, the last thing dad did before bed, was go into the basement to throw on a shovelload of coal. The first thing when he got up, go into the basement and stoke it up for the day.

Most coal heated houses had a coal chute. The truck would pulll up next to the house, deploy a chute from the truck to a coal access door on the house and let coal pour down from the truck's hopper into the basement. Most houses also had motorized stokers to feed the coal. Not ours, though. Nope.

The truck would pull up in front of the house and dump the coal at the curb. And it would be up to us, from toddlers to adults, to go out to the curb and carry it to a basement window where we'd simply drop it in, so dad could shovel it later as needed. That job was somewhat eased, though, when Santa brought me a Radio Flyer wagon. I still think he really brought it for dad.
    Steve

If you have to worry about the cost of HF e-mail, you can't afford the boat.

CW: The mode that accomplishes the most with the least circuitry, the least spectrum, and the least power.

What hath God wrought?
    He hath wrought that pounding brass still kicks .- ... ...

The first prototype Flux Capacitor. 1.21 gigawatts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast