ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Default My converter collection

I have finally gotten around to taking some photos of most of the examples in my receiving converter collection (from 160-meters through 1700 MHz). Details at:

http://k9sth.com/uploads/Converter_collection-1.pdf

Glen, K9STH

Glen, you have too much time on your hands!

I loved the Tecraft Criterion and Parks converters back in the day (60s).

But when Bob Larkin W2CLL/W7PUA started making "JANEL" Labs converters in NJ back in the 70s, they blew everything else out of the water. Better "everything" including image rejection and overload immunity, all solid state, built-in AC power supplies. Just perfect. Bob was my neighbor back then and I spent many interesting hours in his basement lab (very well equipped!).

My "most interesting" converter (which is long gone) was a W2AZL 417A (tube) converter for 2m, with a W2AZL 416B preamp, also for 2m, and both built by Carl himself (W2AZL). They were wizardry in the 60s, although I think he built them in the 50s.

Any Tunaverters? I always wanted to get one but they seem to be rather scarce! I'd love to locate the SWL version that covers some of the HF shortwave broadcast bands.

Chuck, K1KW

KW:

No "Tunaverters". Somewhere, maybe up in the attic, I may have an old Gonset "Tri-band" converter.

A couple of times in the CX Exchange I have used the Stewart-Warner converter into a Crosley 51 as a receiver.

Glen, K9STH

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Just think Steve; in a few years you will have too much time on your hands
    Molon Labe SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ View Post
    Just think Steve; in a few years you will have too much time on your hands
    I hope I even still have hands.

Glen you are missing the good old Regency ATC-1 ... bought one used imn 1963 and drove cross country from Idaho to SC (in the AF) and listened to many conversations. Even heard my Okinawan station (KR6AF) running phone patches with K7LJA in AZ. Could not hear AZ however. 20 wss too long at that time of the evening. Would like to find one now ... but no go.

http://transistorhistory.50webs.com/regencyAT1.html

I had an Ameco converter in the 60s, in my first car (POS 1961 Valiant!) that would convert the SW BC bands to the AM BC band and I could hear "Radio Moscow" everywhere. Just like at home.

But it's amazing how much you can pick up with a 3' whip on a car. A lot of SW BC stations run millions of Watts e.r.p., so much power they can open a closed band.

LPQ:

I have only seen 1, or maybe 2, of the Regency converters. I always liked the magnifying dial!

Glen, K9STH

I have one of those little Gonset converters up in the attic somewhere. Never got around to building a power supply for it, though.

I can remember the little Multi-Elmac shortwave converter that was supposed to be used with an automobile radio, to provide the receive capabilities for the AF-67 and later the AF-68 transmitters. Have you ever had one of those ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast