Callsign
ad: dxeng
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting a complaint about my radio causing interference with DTV Reception

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

Default Getting a complaint about my radio causing interference with DTV Reception

Hello all, this is KD0JWY Richard from Ozark, Missouri. I am getting all kinds of complaints from one apartment which happens to be across the hall. I am running a Yaesu FT-60R and even with my Yaesu FT-60R they still complain. I am getting verbal complaints and also physical complaints. I need to know what to do. I have a copper j-pole and only run 50 watts to use simplex. Otherwise it is only 5 watts. It does interference with our television in the house and since we use DTV over the air I know what they are talking about. But my wife doesn't mind it most of the time. I know it's not my equipment but they just moved in and will be here for at least 10 more months and I don't want to have to get the cops all involved to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.
    Only been a HAM since January of 2010 but man I am loving it. First there was 2 meters, then there was 440. Now Amateur Satellites, now HF, oh man oh man I am loving this. Hope to talk to you all on one of these bands whether it's SSB or FM (Now including AM). 73's

Savanna, Illinois, the west coast of Illinois that is.

I’d probably use a claymore.
    KA9VQF

Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.

“The only difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstein

Could you reason with these people and work out a time they watch tv , and stay off for that time period ? Also ,if you
    can get by using low power , by all means , do so . When you rent , you have no rights .
    One other idea , move your ham radio activity to a remote location . Or find a local ham , or someone who has
    property that wouldn't mind antennas . Other than that , there is always mobile operating .

If someone is physically threatening injury/damage to you, your wife, or your property, you need to document it as completely as possible (e.g. dates, times, actual language used) just in case anything does actually happen; if you really feel threatened at some particular instance, you should definitely call the police.

I'm no expert, but everything I've seen says that as you are a licensed operator, and you are interfering with a (presumably) Part 15 device, they can't stop you from using your equipment; as long as it's within it's legal specs. I'm sure someone will correct me if/where I'm wrong.

In the May 2011 CQ Magazine, there is a nice article called 'Fighting TVI in the Digital World' (pp. 77-80) and gives a schematic for a simple high pass filter. If you aren't a subscriber, I'd recommend you pick it up at your local magazine outlet as there is some good info in the article (and some stuff I didn't realise).
    There are a number of places online where you can find calculators that will give you the same schematic and let you input your own parameters to customize the filter, though the CQ schematic uses standard value caps, so unless you want to try and create the right values with multiple caps, just stick with the published version.

I also use OTA TV, and while I haven't had any issues (yet), I don't really watch TV and operate at the same time, but I do plan to make one very soon and see if it helps my reception (I have some minor issues, just an annoyance really) and as a preventative because of some info given in the article.
    If you'd like, I can give you my parts list for my Mouser.com order.

Online calculator that I used in my research (set: high pass; 5 pole' 170MHz; 75 ohm; use the Chebyshev values in the second circuit [DC open to ground])
    http://www.wa4dsy.net/filter/hp_lp_filter.html

Quote Originally Posted by N0CRS View Post
    When you rent , you have no rights .
    This is not true.
    You have a lease, just like everyone else there, and you need to read it and be sure of what it says.

My lease says that I cannot "install" any antennas (without approval), yet I have a HF vertical, 2m/70cm vertical, and a 6m dipole, yet have not made any modifications to the building.
    The HF vertical is attached to a pipe in a 5 gallon bucket sitting on my deck, the 2m/70cm antenna is C-clamped to a railing, and the 6m dipole uses some hooks that a previous tenant used (presumably to hang plants). The cables go through a 3/4" plywood board that fits in my window. I'm sure I suffer some thermal inefficiency with my setup, but nothing is "installed", i.e. permanently modifies the building; when I leave, no one can tell that I did anything.

You may be in a different situation, but that's why you need to read your lease and know exactly what it says.

I run legal limit on HF and 300w on VHF I have DTV off the air plus Direct TV 4 LED/LCD TVs + 6 computer monitors all of them in same room as shack except for one laptop.

In one instance that do have any problems and it is with a new 60" Sony wall mounted in the living room and that is on 20m only. What it does is bring up the menu screen on the TV when I transmit that's it and at legal limit only then.

I do have yagi's for all bands 40-440m and a vertical for 10-80m and also a wire for 80/160m.

I think it is in your neighbor's system if so and you are legal he must accept it legally but it's better if you can work with them.

Good Luck and lots of good DX.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

Quote Originally Posted by KD0JWY View Post
    Hello all, this is KD0JWY Richard from Ozark, Missouri. I am getting all kinds of complaints from one apartment which happens to be across the hall. I am running a Yaesu FT-60R and even with my Yaesu FT-60R they still complain. I am getting verbal complaints and also physical complaints. I need to know what to do. I have a copper j-pole and only run 50 watts to use simplex. Otherwise it is only 5 watts. It does interference with our television in the house and since we use DTV over the air I know what they are talking about. But my wife doesn't mind it most of the time. I know it's not my equipment but they just moved in and will be here for at least 10 more months and I don't want to have to get the cops all involved to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.
    If I read correctly, the interference also occurs in your own apartment. So the problem is not just with the neighbor's TV. You'd be a lot better off if you could demonstrate that no interference occurs to your own TV. Then you could safely blame it on the other guy's TV instead of your ham gear.

A couple of things not clear from the post, though.

Does the interference occur with 5 watts or only the 50 watts transmit?

By "DTV over the air" do you mean that the TV reception is over the air? Not cable or satellite?

Where is the J-Pole relative to the TV antenna or TV feedline for the antenna?

Is the J-pole inside the house or attic, is it near any electrical wiring?

How well is it matched to your feedline? Any chance of high SWR or high common-mode currents on the feedline?

Is your grounding appropriate? i.e. you are not trying to use the electrical power ground in the building for RF grounding.

Once you're sure that your ham setup is clean, and if you still get interference on your own TV, you can experiment a little to see what it takes to get rid of it, before suggesting to the neighbor a fix. For example, ferrites on the power cords or TV feedline (assuming it's coax not twinlead).

The neighbor most likely won't accept any solution you offer, and if you even touch his TV he'll probably will blame you for anything that ever goes wrong with his system for the rest of your life, but suggesting a solution may be taken as a sign of good faith at least.

Quote Originally Posted by NN4RH View Post
    If I read correctly, the interference also occurs in your own apartment. So the problem is not just with the neighbor's TV. You'd be a lot better off if you could demonstrate that no interference occurs to your own TV. Then you could safely blame it on the other guy's TV instead of your ham gear.

A couple of things not clear from the post, though.

Does the interference occur with 5 watts or only the 50 watts transmit?

By "DTV over the air" do you mean that the TV reception is over the air? Not cable or satellite?

Where is the J-Pole relative to the TV antenna or TV feedline for the antenna?

Is the J-pole inside the house or attic, is it near any electrical wiring?

How well is it matched to your feedline? Any chance of high SWR or high common-mode currents on the feedline?

Is your grounding appropriate? i.e. you are not trying to use the electrical power ground in the building for RF grounding.

Once you're sure that your ham setup is clean, and if you still get interference on your own TV, you can experiment a little to see what it takes to get rid of it, before suggesting to the neighbor a fix. For example, ferrites on the power cords or TV feedline (assuming it's coax not twinlead).

The neighbor most likely won't accept any solution you offer, and if you even touch his TV he'll probably will blame you for anything that ever goes wrong with his system for the rest of your life, but suggesting a solution may be taken as a sign of good faith at least.
    First of all, you have to make sure YOUR station is "clean." You may (probably) have radiation from the outer conductor of your feedline to the J-pole, and THAT is the first issue. In your situation you may need a "balun," which can be a coil of about 10 turns of coac would around a 2 liter soda bottle (as a start; ) a more effective solution would be about a dozen appropriate ferrite beads as close to the feedpoint as possible. (Palomar and other suppliers can recommend the proper beads for your coax size and frequency.)
    If you can eliminate the interfewrence to YOUR home installation, and demonstrate that to your neghbor, then the problem is within the neighbor's installation of the DirectTV; it could be a bad shield cable connection along the way, or an unauthorized tap in the system, either at your neighbor's or somewhere "up stream." Either way, if your installation is "clean," it's time for the DirectTV folks to work on a solution.

yes it does It even if I run 5 Watts. the antenna is up in the attic and has an swr of 1.2. my yaesu ft60r also does it. only at 2.5 and 5 Watts. furthermore I even tried the elk antenna which is what I use for portable satellite work and its the same issue. the j pole has great shielding on it. I may try some other things. the neigjboor does use a cheap radii shack amplified antenna which personally is what I think the problems is. would a low pass or high pass filter fix it.
    Only been a HAM since January of 2010 but man I am loving it. First there was 2 meters, then there was 440. Now Amateur Satellites, now HF, oh man oh man I am loving this. Hope to talk to you all on one of these bands whether it's SSB or FM (Now including AM). 73's

If you are being physically threatened, do not hesitate to call the cops. For each incident you allow to go unrecognized, the next one will be an escalation of the previous one. The first one may be a push, the second you'll get knocked on your butt, the third a punch, etc. Or it may be vandalism to your property. It will follow a similar pattern. Remember, as a licensed Ham, you are not doing anything illegal! DO NOT LET IT GO!

Technically there has been some sound advise here. Heed that. Heed this also!
    Nevermind...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast