ad: elecraft

NLI Meets with Congressman King regarding HR 607 - 70cm is SAFE!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2YBB, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2YBB

N2YBB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Mike Lisenco, N2YBB
    n2ybb@arrl.org
    917-865-3538

May 19, 2011, Massapequa Park, NY - A delegation of Amateur Radio operators from the Long Island / New York City area met this morning with Congressman Peter T. King (R-NY) to discuss his recent proposed legislation, HR 607, and its impact on Amateur Radio.

Congressman King said that he fully understands and appreciates the importance
    of Amateur Radio and the service it provides to the community, and that he would see to the modification of the bill so that the 420 - 440 MHz band would be
    excluded from the spectrum to be auctioned. The delegation included Mike
    Lisenco, N2YBB, ARRL Section Manager for New York City / Long Island (NLI),
    Peter Portanova, WB2OQQ, NLI Local Government Liaison (LGL), George Tranos,
    N2GA, NLI State Government Liaison (SGL), and Jim Mezey, W2KFV, NLI ARES Section Emergency Coordinator (SEC).

"The Congressman went on to explain that it was never his intention to remove
    the 70 centimeter band from Amateur use. He further asked us to `get the word
    out' and inform the Amateur Radio community that 70 centimeters is not in
    jeopardy," said Lisenco.

Lisenco, Mezey and Tranos spoke about the importance of Amateur Radio emergency communications while Portanova, who is also the local AMSAT representative, addressed satellite and other amateur use of the 70 centimeter band.

The Congressman was very receptive to the group, who also extended an invitation to attend Field Day locations in his District.

###

Attached Files:

2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job, Mike ! Quite a headline here, given the ominous scenario the legislation presented.

I'm a little curious that there's nothing about your meeting, or the planning ahead of it, on the ARRL's "news" website. Hope you don't get in trouble.

Seriously ! What struck me was the total lack of any ARRL signage in the lead paragraphs !!!

Except for your titles as a volunteers with the League, you seem to have led an independent, non-Newington effort to reach the Congressman on the matter of concern. It's not often they trust local representatives such as your folks to carry the torch, ya know ?

Since HQ has not been able to match this level of progress, you're to be commended for trying this different approach for the benefit of active, concerned licensees in the radio hobby.

Now, let's see what kind of "coverage" the League's paid staff provide for your achievement. They're not known for being too friendly to any overtures that may seem to step around their group.

3. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Cite?

Source?

Link?

As much as I want to believe this - it's too damned important to just take at face value.

Thanks!

4. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great news! Tnx for posting. Now if we can just get ReconRobotics to move on...
    Very 73...Joe

5. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Still need to keep an eye on the actual proceedings and verbage...let's not let this one slip under the RADAR.

6. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad yall met with this guy, but I wouldn't believe a thing a policitian told me until everything is in writing and the actual bill has been changed.

7. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news and I too will want to see this enacted in writing.

8. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

We have it up on the Amateur Radio Newsline website (http://www.arnewsline.org) where its already been downloaded over 1100 times as of noon EST today. Would have had it up earlier if I knew how to run my hosts Mac. I am a PC person.
    de
    WA6ITF/8

9. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill you really need to get modern !!

Glad you've got it, too. The hit count on QRZ is just under 800, but hours later the ARRL site remains mute on the story.

Here's hoping someone in the NLI delegation made at least an audio recording of the meeting. I have found Rep. King very cordial and supportive of such a way of memorializing such talks.

10. W2GLA

W2GLA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike and the contingent of hams that pulled this off are heros. They set a perfect example of how amateur radio legislative action should be handled. A small group of hams meeting with "key' legislators educating and advocating our cause on behalf of ham radio is what really works. The League has much to learn about political action.
    We should all ask the League if their lobbyist, John Chwat knew what Mike learned now, proir to the League's scare tactic fund raising efforts?

11. W1PA

W1PA Ham Member QRZ Page

Cautious good news... there is still a long way to go before it gets signed.

Bill W1PA

12. W9DAZ

W9DAZ Guest

Fine business.
    Thank you to everyone involved in this effort. Also to everyone who took time to contact their own representatives.

Dave W9DAZ

13. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

Most likely because everyone involved in ARRL news distrinution is here at Hamvention and very few folks in general know about it. So lets cut the ARRL a bit of slack on this.

14. K2TV

K2TV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job! Thanks to everyone that participated.

15. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Panic over !!! Take off the helmets and the flak jackets, now... who's got the cigars ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.