ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper

Question HTX-100 Replacement Microphone Question

--Hi, all. I have been looking for a replacement microphone for my Realistic HTX-100. I've looked at the wiring diagrams of various microphones and it seems that Kenwood and Alinco microphones can work with the HTX-100. The HTX-100 uses the round 8 pin metal connector and all of the pins are the same as the Alinco EMS-53, EXCEPT the number 6 pin. Number 6 on the HTX-100 is listed as "Audio Out", while the number 6 pin on the Alinco EMS-53 is listed as "Remote". Can the Alinco EMS-53 be used on the HTX-100 without modification? Also, does it sound good with the HTX-100?

--The Kenwood MC-43S pins match also, except for the number 6 pin. It reads "N/C". What does it mean?

--Is there a replacement microphone out there that matches perfectly (don't want to have to switch wires around) and sound good? I thought the Alinco EMS-53 might work, but not sure about the number 6 pin. Thanks for any help.
    Adam
    K5AHH

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Sir Winston Churchill

W5RB Guest

"N/C" means not connected . MFJ has some inexpensive mics for various rigs . Call 'em , and I'm sure that they can tell you whether one of their units will work . I'd bet it's this one , wired for the Kenwood with 8-pin round connector :
    http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-290K

--Thanks for the info. I will book mark the site. Does anyone know why the HTX-100 has "Audio Out" on pin 6, but the Kenwood has "N/C"? Just curious why the Kenwood doesn't have an "Audio Out".
    Adam
    K5AHH

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Sir Winston Churchill

Does anyone know why the HTX-100 has "Audio Out" on pin 6, but the Kenwood has "N/C"?
    Just curious why the Kenwood doesn't have an "Audio Out".
    Adam -

There is no IEEE; EIA/TIA; or radio industry standard for radio microphone pin assignments (function/feature).
    It is a decision by each manufacturer -- which means sometimes the decision is to NOT be like the competition.

N/C as stated earlier is industry shorthand for: Not Connected
    N/A is another shorthand for: Not Applicable

SOME radio manufacturers place audio output (speaker or line level) on the microphone connector
    to permit an operator to use a head set with only ONE connector required.

The Kenwood MC-43S is a very popular microphone (also used by Elecraft K3 users).

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

--So what you are basically saying is that the pin 6 "Audio Out" on the HTX-100 doesn't matter when it comes to the Kenwood MC-43S, and I could basically just plug it in to the HTX-100 and it would work fine. Thanks for your help.
    Adam
    K5AHH

Quote Originally Posted by K5AHH View Post
    --So what you are basically saying is that the pin 6 "Audio Out" on the HTX-100 doesn't matter when it comes to the Kenwood MC-43S, and I could basically just plug it in to the HTX-100 and it would work fine. Thanks for your help.
    I didn't read anybody saying that here.

If the Audio Out of the rig is connected to the Remote terminal of the mic, and the mic has a switching arrangement inside it to use the REM feature, such could short out your Audio Out with unknown ramifications that might include toasting your audio output amplifier's power transistors or IC, depending.

Hey, its your radio...

--So what you are basically saying is that the pin 6 "Audio Out" on the HTX-100 doesn't matter when it comes to the Kenwood MC-43S,
    and I could basically just plug it in to the HTX-100 and it would work fine. Thanks for your help.
    Adam -

That Leap of Faith .. could damage the radio and/or the microphone.
    For USED microphones always CHECK with your workbench DVM / VOM (a basic tool sold at Harbor Freight for as little as $5) ..
    OR open up microphone to assure that is still true.

Amateur Radio has not been a Consumer level Plug-N-Play hobby.
    In fact, it is a Technical hobby, that assumes the licensed radio amateur
    knows basic electronics or is an apprentice studying for mastering the Art of Radio.

The hobby becomes expensive for those that desire consumer / cellular telephone levels of support.
    That industry collects millions of $ each month (annuity) from every phone user.

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

--GB: Very true. I'll have to wait to get the new microphone in to actually check it, though. Just wasn't sure if the pin 6 Audio Out could just be disabled on the new microphone I ordered (Alinco EMS-53). I was thinking that if I just un-soldered pin 6 on the Alinco EMS-53, then there wouldn't be a direct (pin 6) connection to the HTX-100. No biggie, though. I didn't spend that much on the "new" microphone, and the HTX-100 is mainly being used as a backup radio for my 10 meter beacon (in the meantime, just thought I would use it for actually talking on, haha). Thanks for all the helpful info.!
    Adam
    K5AHH

Quote Originally Posted by K5AHH View Post
    --GB: Very true. I'll have to wait to get the new microphone in to actually check it, though. Just wasn't sure if the pin 6 Audio Out could just be disabled on the new microphone I ordered (Alinco EMS-53). I was thinking that if I just un-soldered pin 6 on the Alinco EMS-53, then there wouldn't be a direct (pin 6) connection to the HTX-100. No biggie, though. I didn't spend that much on the "new" microphone, and the HTX-100 is mainly being used as a backup radio for my 10 meter beacon (in the meantime, just thought I would use it for actually talking on, haha). Thanks for all the helpful info.!
    I think it should work fine. There probably is no connection in the mike to pin 6, if there is simply remove it. Pin 6 on the radio is connected to speaker out, same as in some alinco and Kenwood radios. Probably not even connected in your new mike, just check to be sure.

Years ago, I put a commercial Kenwood mike on my HTX-100. I had to wire it to a new plug, and I lost the up/down feature since the KW mike didn't have that. The amazing thing is I got much better audio reports, was always being complemented on the TX audio after that. Got reports like, "that sounds better than any HTX-100 I have ever heard". Perhaps the stock mike is just not that good or something, or maybe I just got lucky with the mike. I know on the commercial radios, the kenwoods always sounded really good.

Joe
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

--Yes, you were correct, K7JEM. Looking at the actual microphone connections (some websites had different pinouts for the same mics, so by the time I got through researching the various mic. pinouts/websites, my head was spinning, lol.) I saw no problem with using this microphone (Alinco EMS-53) with the HTX-100. Over the air reports were great, and of course the UP/DOWN buttons were fully functional (as well as the Lock/Off switch).

--I bought this HTX-100 from Ebay and the only thing listed as being wrong was that the radio would not transmit from the microphone plug, but it would transmit just fine from the faceplate (there is a switch on the HTX-100 that reads TX/RX). I found the broken wire, resoldered it, and now it works. This is really a nice little 10 meter radio.
    Adam
    K5AHH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast