Callsign
ad: cq2k-1

View Poll Results: Why don't generals upgrade to extra?

Voters
208. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not enough gain in band space

81 38.94%
  • It won't improve my knowledge of ham radio

18 8.65%
  • I am not a contester or DXer

38 18.27%
  • I don't believe in incentive licensing

23 11.06%
  • I just don't have the time to study

86 41.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Generals Don't upgrade

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

I have looked at the sample questions several times, but I find I am not interested in the test nor upgrading. Most of the information is junk I will never use, so why clutter my mind with it. What good is memorizing questions and not learning anything?

After upgrading to the Amateur Extra I felt really good, and wished I did it 20 years ago. The sad part there is nothing left to look forward to, like one more level to work for. But that will not stop me from learning more theory. I want to know how and why it works. I wonder how many hams do not know how to figure resistance in series parallel, or capacitance in the same way. Even how to calculate the length of a dipole antenna.

Not a General. I upgraded to Extra for the challenge. Really. As a dumb 16 year old kid I thought I was super awesome cool with an Extra. Now I realize that it's not a big deal.

Anyway, let's finally put Incentive Licensing away and adopt the Canadian licence restructuring. The Basic licence is 100 questions (sort of the Tech and General rolled into one). Get 80%, and one can operate on all frequencies (that means all of HF) at 250w dc input. The Advanced license is mostly for people who want to run amps, or homebrewers. Most hams would be satisfied with the one-shot, all-frequency license. For the majority of hams, Canada has one license class.

I learned a lot from taking my exams. Still, I don't see why we should have even three license classes. The tests are just the beginning, and not the end, of ham education.

73, Jordan VA2AIT
    Last edited by AB2T; 09-08-2011 at 08:58 AM.

I disagree with that. What is going to keep the Tech/General combo from running a something like an Ameritron 811 or Heathkit SB-200 if he keeps his mouth shut? No one would ever know.
    Now back to the original question: In my case it was time, working 12 hour turns 4 to 6 days per week. I had surgery some time back and I used that time to study. So I would say time would be a major factor for a lot of people.

Mr. Joe, I don't have to prove to you or anyone else that I can pass the Extra Class test. I frankly don't give a damn about the Class of license. Anyone with a few minutes spare time can "learn" the answers. It is not a test to test knowledge, only to memorize answers. When I passed the General Class license the Study Guide was the ARRL Handbook. The VEC's were called FCC Examiners. Its a shame it is not that way now.

73, I won't see you in the Extra Class portion will I.

Why upgrade when you already have a license. I see it like anything else a certification - school, amateur radio, drivers license, contractors license etc., all forms of certificiton showing you did something. Today, i am about speed and flexibility, cell phones, internet and texts. I don't know any other hams other than myself, i know many people with internet and cell phones.

I am nine and I have my General and I one, have school stuff to do and on weekends I am focused on actually making QSOs! Second, I have been told(and I have listened so I know) the extra portion is not used as heavially as the general portion because the extras want the extra people to talk to and that feeds on its self.

Quote Originally Posted by K2CLH View Post
    Second, I have been told(and I have listened so I know) the extra portion is not used as heavially as the general portion because the extras want the extra people to talk to and that feeds on its self.
    To a degree, the lowest 25 kHz is usually for DXing.

Back when they started incentive licensing, the bands were very busy and having an uncrowded reserved portion was a bonus for Advanced and Extra class licenses.

By comparison, the bands are very empty compared to how they used to be. 80m cw used to be 300 kHz and on most winter evenings, it was hard to find an empty spot. Forget about trying to find space in the phone portion of the band!

Ken WA8JXM

Quote Originally Posted by W0DLR View Post
    I have looked at the sample questions several times, but I find I am not interested in the test nor upgrading. Most of the information is junk I will never use, so why clutter my mind with it. What good is memorizing questions and not learning anything?
    Dave,... Exactly!!! At 64 (almost 65) I don't need to 'learn' about 'NEW' crapola. I'm trying to 'hang-on' to what I already know... (Antennas & tubes)... Don't get me wrong,... It's O.K. for some,... but not ALL... Just let me have a DX-40 (with some xtals), a DRAKE 2-B & a dipole ... I'll be a 'happy ham' !!! (Clutter,... at my age is Unnecessary)...

The pole should have been "Why don't Advanced upgrade to Extra."

The answer is: It is not worth the effort for the increase in band.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast