ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-innov

Default IC746 Tuning dial encoder

About 6 months ago the tuning became harder, started as very small grinding/bumpy feeling. It keeps getting worse and now there is a "flat spot" when tuning clockwise for few degrees.

I think it is the tuning encoder. Has anyone changed this on the IC746? WHere did you get your part? Was it hard? I saw W9GB's pictures on this, but they did not go past taking the front mask off.

I may take the cover off and see what I can see later today.

I sent an email to N1EQ for a quote.

Thanks
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

Tomorrow I'll call ICOM service and see how much the encoder is. We use a rotary encoder on a product at work but I'm pretty sure it isn't close to the requirements of this encoder.
    Leroy

Yesterday I ordered the encoder, $109 plus shipping. Expensive part, I would like to know what they do to an encoder to make it so expensive!
    Leroy

Default Be ecstatic!

For many of the radios I own, encoders are unobtanium.

Same for the encoder on my FT101 is pretty hard to obtain unless you find a scrap unit. Of course the encoder is a nice variable cap on it!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DQ View Post
    For many of the radios I own, encoders are unobtanium.
    Leroy

I bought a 746 Pro when they first came out. The encoder in mine went out on the second day I owned it. HRO replace the radio for me but then about a year later the transmit driver IC burned up. It cost me $130.00 for shipping but Icom fixed it for free. I still have the radio but i bought a Pro 3 so I just use the 746 Pro for 2 meter SSB and for digital modes when I work them. I'll probably sell it one of these days.
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

Both radios are pretty robust but the Pro version seems to have the transmit issue that I don't hear much of on the plain 746. That was one reason I went with the 746 instead of the 746Pro.

The encoder seems to be a small percentage but still definitely a part that fails.

Quote Originally Posted by KA4DPO View Post
    I bought a 746 Pro when they first came out. The encoder in mine went out on the second day I owned it. HRO replace the radio for me but then about a year later the transmit driver IC burned up. It cost me $130.00 for shipping but Icom fixed it for free. I still have the radio but i bought a Pro 3 so I just use the 746 Pro for 2 meter SSB and for digital modes when I work them. I'll probably sell it one of these days.
    Leroy

So $109 bucks for a $20 part if you could buy from Copal. P/N in the ICOM 746 is Copal RMS20-250-201-1P I found that p/n except for the P. http://www.inter-elink.com/Pic/File/RMS20.PDF Read where someone ordered this part and it worked, but the shaft is too short.

Smooth and continuous tuning again, simple repair, more screwdriver time than anything else. Sometime I'll pop the top off and see what happened inside.
    Leroy