ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Default Yagi vs Hexx beam

Let me start by saying that I am on a limited budget which probably does not go well with either of the scenarios below, but...

I have a Hy-gain TH6-DXX, a CD-44 rotor and 50 feet of Rohn tower ready to put up.
    However I will need to buy a guying bracket plus the guying materials, turnbuckles, etc. I will also need to construct the concrete base. All of that amounts to $$$

Bottom line on the TH6-DXX is that I still have a lot of work to get done and none of it is going to be cheap.

Or.....I could buy a hexx beam and a push up mast and erect the whole works myself.

So the question is, should I save a little more money and go with the TH6-DXX or go with a Hexx beam?

Any opinions?
    Todd
    K2DN

I can't guide you on this, but I might comment that a CD-44 rotator turning a TH6DXX will last maybe six months and grind the gears to pieces. The CD-44 hasn't any brake and the TH6DXX is a big antenna.

I destroyed a CD-45 (the newer version of the 44) in one weekend with a beam about that size on it (windstorm).

Having said that, the TH6 is also a very good antenna and will run rings around a Hexbeam in terms of performance. Don't know what "work you have to get done," though. If you're doing a major re-build on the beam for some reason, that might indicate the one you have is old, broken, missing parts or whatever. Unless a re-build is very expertly done, it may never work as new.

The CD-44 will turn a Hexbeam just fine and probably last a very long time; it's a much easier load to rotate than a TH6. Hexbeams can also be found in 5 and 6-band versions, which is 2-3 more bands than the TH6 covers.

No work to be done to the beam, it is in great shape, the work that need to be done is to the tower(concrete base, guying ,etc) Sorry, I can see where I was a little confusing, I just meant that on the TH6-DXX setup, I had a lot of work to get done.

Thanks for the reply.
    Todd
    K2DN

If you go with the TH6 + tower, you'll need a different rotator.

Good luck with the installation! It's a great antenna.

Question Hexx or Thunderbird

Steve is not jerking your chain on this...

That rotor will EASILY handle a hex-beam for a lifetime.

The TH6-DXX will destroy that rotor. You need a MUCH heftier rotor. The TH6 is a heavier antenna with a much larger wind-sail area... it will catch the wind and turn, and that rotor will NOT hold it.

The real question is: "Do you want to put up your tower and then have to climb it within a year to replace the rotor?" ...assuming that you live in a windy area and decide to put up the TH6. I knew a ham with a tribander and a TRUE armstrong rotor, geared and chain drive that he turned by hand from in his basement shack (near Sparta, Michigan) but that is another story for another thread.

The TH6 is a tribander (20/15/10). On these three bands a TH6 will rule over the Hexx-beam but you are limited to those bands.

The hexx can be built to cover 20/17/15/12/10/6 (all on the same antenna at the same time) and will work acceptably well on all considering it is a 2 element beam on all of them.

There are your choices laid out. (TH6 tribander and a larger rotor versus existing rotor and a 6 band hex beam)
    Last edited by W8NSI; 04-18-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    73 de w8nsi/nnn0uzw jim

Just an afterthought, but if you go with a bigger rotor, be sure that it will fit in the tower. I know a guy that bought a rotor and discovered that he couldn't get it inside the tower... It's sad seeing a grown man cry like that.

Also... sweet call sign for cw, Todd!
    Last edited by W8NSI; 04-18-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    73 de w8nsi/nnn0uzw jim

The Yaesu rotors will fit in your tower and the G-1000DXA will handle that beam fine I had one on a TH-7DX for a year or so and worked fine. The TH-6 is a better antenna on 10-15-20m than the Hex beam will cover more bands just depends on what band you work the most. I just erected another 25g tower with a hazer on it so no climbing for me my other towers are crank-up and fold over.

You can find the Yaesu rotors used for about 2-300 dollars new about 500.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

Quote Originally Posted by W8NSI View Post
    Just an afterthought, but if you go with a bigger rotor, be sure that it will fit in the tower. I know a guy that bought a rotor and discovered that he couldn't get it inside the tower... It's sad seeing a grown man cry like that.

Also... sweet call sign for cw, Todd!
    Funny you should mention that. My father's original callsign which he kept for 40+ years was WB4HII.When I was picking out a vanity callsign I received a lot of coaching from him as to what to look for in a callsign for CW.

Thanks everyone for the advice on the rotor. I still do not know which way I am going to go. The TH6-DXX would be nice but the amount of work I am going to have to do to get it in the air seems a bit daunting; not to mention the financial side of the equation.

The only two antenna's I have ever used are a ground mounted Hustler 4BTV with 32 radials and a carolina windom at about 30', so I do not have a whole lot of reference points. Can someone tell me what to expect when going from either of the above antennas to either the hexbeam or the TH6-DXX? I can read the technical specs all day, and I understand them, but without having some real world reference, it is hard to understand just how much of a difference there will be.

Thanks.
    Todd
    K2DN

Quote Originally Posted by K2DN View Post
    The only two antenna's I have ever used are a ground mounted Hustler 4BTV with 32 radials and a carolina windom at about 30', so I do not have a whole lot of reference points. Can someone tell me what to expect when going from either of the above antennas to either the hexbeam or the TH6-DXX? I can read the technical specs all day, and I understand them, but without having some real world reference, it is hard to understand just how much of a difference there will be.
    You're in for a complete shock. A TH6DXX at 40' or higher on a tower will work stuff you had no idea was even on the band. You'll hear signals the other antennas aren't hearing, period.

Quote Originally Posted by K2DN View Post
    Can someone tell me what to expect when going from either of the above antennas to either the hexbeam or the TH6-DXX? I can read the technical specs all day, and I understand them, but without having some real world reference, it is hard to understand just how much of a difference there will be.
    There are audio clips on my web page which may give you some idea. There are several which demonstrate the F/B performance of the hexbeam, and one which is A/B switching between a multiband doublet and a hexbeam; section 2, here:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/broadband/

Steve G3TXQ

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast