ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Default Genesis G59

Anyone within ragchew distance of me on 160/80/40 meters have one of these build up? I'd love to hear one on the air and hear your opinion of its high & low points.

N4BBQ (Georgia)

What be a Genesis G59 ? A home build antenna or a home build tranceiver.

It's a machine for tera farming strange new worlds....
    Nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by G0GQK View Post
    What be a Genesis G59 ? A home build antenna or a home build tranceiver.
    Its a kit 160m-6m SRD transceiver. Check it out.

http://www.genesisradio.com.au/

Hey there BBQ (and neighbor!),

Late last year I was doing a bunch of research on SDR units. TX and RX-only ones. Honestly, I don't remember what it was that knocked the Genesis G59 out of my list, but something did. I joined Yahoo groups for about 10 or so different SDRs. Not sure if you already have a stand-alone transceiver, but I ended up going with the PM-SDR out of Italy. It is an RX-only box, but with the switchboard option I can link it/pass through the TX of my IC-7000 through this unit. Both of them work hand-in-hand with each other and I absolutely love it!

I purchased my PM-SDR with the LCD screen, black case, and the switchboard option. You need a decent soundcard -- I picked up a TC-Electronic Desktop Konnekt-6 (firewire).

Anyway -- I'm quite pleased with my SDR box. Great to get my feet wet in the world of SDR. However, what I'm finding -- even after eyeballing the Flex 5000 series -- is that I *REALLY* love using it as its own little entity. Synching it with the IC-7000 is great when working DX or finding weak signals, I also like "un-linking" it from the IC-7000 and having it as a dedicated RX.

As far as taking a step into SDR, I can't recommend enough checking out Yahoo groups for whichever ones you're considering.

Just my thoughts.
    --Alex / KA4AAA

I am in the process of building a G59, probably will be another month before I get it on the air.

I also just bought a LD-1B. It is a receive only for now until he gets the transmitter finished. It is well constructed, a was pretty much plug and play. I am just having problems with the E-MU 0202 sound card I purchased to work with the units.
    Allen - KBASQ
    [url]http://kb0asq.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by KA4AAA View Post
    Hey there BBQ (and neighbor!),
    Hi to you too neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by ka4aaa
    As far as taking a step into SDR, I can't recommend enough checking out Yahoo groups for whichever ones you're considering.

Just my thoughts.
    --Alex / KA4AAA
    I have signed up for the G59 Yahoo! group and it is VERY busy. Thanks for your wisdom on this.

I also dug up this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkkBeAvMfZo

Quote Originally Posted by KB0ASQ View Post
    I am in the process of building a G59, probably will be another month before I get it on the air.
    Very good. Good luck and maybe we can make a schedule once you're up and running. My friend Byron (WA4GEG) runs an SDR transceiver which is based on the Pic-A-Star group. Its a magnificent radio.

I also built a G59 MK3....I received the kit on March 31 and took about 5 evenings and a full weekend to assemble....roughly 40 hours.

I've been using it exclusively for WSPR with great success but I would be happy to attempt a SSB QSO sometime.

I did try SSB using a USB microphone and TXing into a dummy load while listening on a separate radio. It didn't sound half bad, but I'd like to interface one of my MC-60 desk mics to the G59 MIC preamp and see how that works out.

My email address on QRZ.com is current, feel free to drop me an email and we can schedule a QSO.

BTW, I've attached a picture of my assembled G59 if anyone is curious.

Attached Images Attached Images

I am also building a G59 and have the linear kit as well . Nice picture, I have printed it off and will compare to see any mistakes I have made hi. I am about to start the tx section.
    73 de Sandy GM3PQU