ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Standard C558A Manual

I am looking for a manual for the Standard C558A... please help

A previous thread about it;
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...Standard-C558A
    A couple other requests I found had no responses.
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Apparently (and unfortunately) the STANDARD Radio manuals are NOT available on-line, and VERTEX/STANDARD refuses to acknowledge that STANDARD Amateur equipment even exists.
    I have a 2M H-T, a 70 cm/23 cm dual band H-T, and a mobile H-T, and have been asked for copies of the manuals, which (other than copyright issues) are all over 100 "pages;" so neither hard copy (approximately $10.00 USD) plus postage) nor e-mail scans (~ 200 MB) of over 100 pages are feasible, either economically or electronically.

STANDARD, originally a division of Marantz, (and possibly a spin-off of SONY) produced Amateur equipment in the American Market into the early 90's; they produced a number of items for HeathKit. They left the Amateur market in ablut the mid 1990's when Vertex/Standard merged, and while they had (often) superior or more innovative products than YaeComWood, Sales apparently were not sufficient to sustain the brand name.
    Ironically, "Vertex/Standard" still produces and markets (in the U.S.) Marine Radio equipment that is often similar or identical to the original Amateur equipment, albeit with different model numbers.
    BUT, (IMHO) to completely refuse the STANDARD branded equipment never existed has left me with a (perhaps) negative towards Vertex/Standard/YAESU in general. They have some very good products, but it's their marketing attitude I find offensive. If they can totally abandon and deny the existence of a full line of Amateur equipment, what might they do next? Again, IMHO.