ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Identify Digital modes

amongst the 13+ different Digi-modes and all their respective variations, how do I identify them. I know what CW sounds like, but what I hear most times is high speed code with no apparent pause or break.

When I plug the TS-520 into the soundcard I can see a couple signals in the waterfall of FLDIGI, as well as any other software of the like, HRD, etc...

RigBlaster includes some sound files on their driver / program CD that lets you hear various modes. HRD (DM780) (and possibly some other programs) support RSID, which transmits a code for the mode you are in and tells you when it detects this code from other stations. HRD (DM780) also has a toolbar for radios it can control that gives you a menu choice, per band, for the watering holes of the mode you currently have selected.

Yeah I think I am screwed for rigCat. The interface is homebrewed, and the TS-520 is long before computers became a household name. I dont even have AM on this thing, SSB, or CW, if I want 2 or 6 meters, I have to use a transverter.
    Oh the joys of boatanchors!

Default Sound over sight

Over the years, I've operated nearly all of the popular digital modes beginning with RTTY through PSK31, Olivia, MT63, hell, etc. The list goes on. A number of people asked me how to visually distinguish one mode from another. I think my answer disappointed many of them -- I never could really look at the waterfall and see a difference. Well, that's not completely true because some modes, such as RTTY, do look very different on the waterfall than others. But I thought many of the soundcard modes looked much the same visually.

So I learned to tell them apart by their sounds. There are some ham websites that have recordings of various modes. NB6Z operates one. And there are others. Google NB6Z and various entries for digital modes and you will find the sites. In the case of NB6Z's site, click on the click that says all about digital radio. Then go to the bottom of that page and you will see a link for recordings.

73 and GL,
    N4KZ

Sights and sounds of digital modes.

Digimodes sights and sounds.

I used to run the digimodes on a TS-520 with a Rigblaster interface.
    The way to do it is to tune the rig for maximum smoke in SSB and turn the mic gain down so you have NO ALC indication.
    Make sure the speech compressor if OFF (mic gain knob pushed in).

Audio out of the rig is available on the big 9 pin connector on the back, it's still controlled by the AF gain pot just like the outboard speaker jack.

I rigged up a little box with a 9V battery and 10K linear taper pot to provide continuously variable power out rather than rely on mic gain alone.
    ACH,
    Member ARRL, SKCC #215, NAQCC #3441, FISTS #11993

Chris ,
    Have you tried the signalink usb for your digital modes, I use this lovely box of tricks,makes life so easy
    best 73 and gl
    colin G1 LQT

I think I am screwed <since> my interface is homebrew.
    The Kenwood TS-520 is long before computers became a household name.
    Chris -

A DIY (homebrew) radio to sound card (DSP) interface can work just as well as a commercial "off the shelf" unit.
    There is nothing special (from electrical interface / design standpoint) inside that silk screen box -- no patents being protected here.

Since you have a traditional analog boatanchor (TS-520) ... some of the functions/features of commercial units have no function/value.

For example, an RS-232 or USB connection would only be used for a PTT function (since there is no uProcessor inside the TS-520 to control).
    The RS-232/USB is NOT NEEDED -- IF your homebrew interface is designed or operates by VOX function or equivalent detection.

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 04-16-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Nullius in verba

In addition to the link from AC0H, another good source of information about the various digital modes is:

Digital Modes Info at IZ4CZL

My favorite digital mode right now is JT65A.

Dave