ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Default Liquid Solder

I am never satisfied with the way I solder . Can anyone tell me about liguid solder, I want to solder a plug to my Desk Mike MC50 which will plug into my Kenwood TS850 .What are the results for liguid solder , should one wish to dissconnect at a later stage can the connection be cleaned and separated .Has anyone used this method of soldering

It's been quite a few years since I tried liquid solder, but I was never satisfied with the results. I was never happy with the results using solder tape either - the stuff you wrapped around the connection then melted with a match. These products might be better now, but from past experience I wouldn't recommend either method. My soldering skill was terrible at first, but greatly improved with experience. When I was in Jr High School my electronics instructor suggested picking up an old radio from the thrift store and practicing on it. In no time I was desoldering/soldering caps, transistors, tube sockets, etc. with confidence. I found it much easier when the proper amount of heat and minimal amount of solder is used.

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

I've never had a problem.

Clean-clean-clean.

Flux-flux-flux.

Hot-hot-hot. (No, I don't mean Vanna)

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Soldering is one area I believe that hands on 'Elmering' is the best method if you know someone living close to you. W7CDX idea of picking an old junker thrift store radio is a good idea. Correct tools, some 'show and do' and your skills will improve quickly.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by VK2CRI View Post
    I am never satisfied with the way I solder . ...snip
    73, Mike
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Practice makes perfect, like anything else. There are quite a few tutorials on soldering. Search You Tube, or just Google "how to solder".

Use the right type of solder - it comes in different diameters. The smallest size/diameter rosin core 60/40 solder would be my choice for a mic plug.

Soldering irons also come in different sizes. A smaller iron, with a smaller tip is handier for tiny spaces and delicate components. A large soldering gun is easier for heavy/large objects like PL-259 plugs or heavy gauge wire.

Use the right tool for the job.

Keeping the tip clean is important - damp sponge or cloth and wipe the tip often.

The parts being soldered also need to be clean.

A couple of alligator clips, or a "third hand" type stand with magnifying glass are very, very helpful. I often improvise some type of vise with alligator clips or pliers.

The pieces you are soldering should be held still. You can't solder a good joint if the pieces are moving around.

The key is controlling the heat - too little and the solder won't flow. Too much and you'll damage what you are soldering.

Remember that the solder must flow on the wire, as well as the piece it is joining. So you must heat both the wire, and the post, and apply solder so it flows over both.

Again, practice. You'll get the hang of it.
    Charley K1DNR

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Quote Originally Posted by AE2CS View Post
    I'm still workin on that, but at my age it is getting to be difficult------

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by AE2CS View Post
    Practice makes perfect, like anything else. There are quite a few tutorials on soldering. Search You Tube, or just Google "how to solder".

Use the right type of solder - it comes in different diameters. The smallest size/diameter rosin core 60/40 solder would be my choice for a mic plug.

Soldering irons also come in different sizes. A smaller iron, with a smaller tip is handier for tiny spaces and delicate components. A large soldering gun is easier for heavy/large objects like PL-259 plugs or heavy gauge wire.

Use the right tool for the job.

Keeping the tip clean is important - damp sponge or cloth and wipe the tip often.

The parts being soldered also need to be clean.

A couple of alligator clips, or a "third hand" type stand with magnifying glass are very, very helpful. I often improvise some type of vise with alligator clips or pliers.

The pieces you are soldering should be held still. You can't solder a good joint if the pieces are moving around.

The key is controlling the heat - too little and the solder won't flow. Too much and you'll damage what you are soldering.

Remember that the solder must flow on the wire, as well as the piece it is joining. So you must heat both the wire, and the post, and apply solder so it flows over both.

The only thing I can add to this is tin, or apply solder to both connections prior to soldering them together and check frequently that the heating element of the pencil, iron or gun is tightly secured. If you have heat problems you will have soldering problems and most are caused by elements that seem tight but are not.

At my last job, we used liquid solder only for very special jobs. The problem with the liquid solder that we used was it was a variety known as "micro-ball" solder. Just as the name implies, this solder was billions of microscopically small balls of solder, suspended in a liquid flux solution. To use the stuff, you would apply a very small drop of it on the joint you were attempting to solder, and then the assembly would be subjected to very hot infer-red radiation. The balls would melt into a homogenous liquid metal, and when the heat was removed, it would harden very quickly and made a great solder joint!

Of course, all of this took place at microscopic levels. The devices being soldered in this way were typically 0402 or smaller, or chips with spacing of around .001 inch between the leadouts !

My best recommendation, get the best Kester 50-50 or 60-40 solder in as small a gauge that you can find. It may be difficult to find the stuff, with the international standards dictating so much of the electronics industry, but a good search should reward you, and you will never want to go to the lead free stuff again.