ad: portazero-1

Fond Memories of Robert S. Gaye K2LGJ - "RG"

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2NV, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2NV

K2NV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our good friend Bob passed away March 22, 2011. I just returned from the Funeral which was held on March 28th where I was asked to give a Eulougy.

This is the text from the Eulogy:

Bob Gaye – Fellow Ham Radio Operator, Technical Guru, and our very Good Friend “RG”.

When I was asked to give the Eulogy I was asked to keep it short, so relax, this won’t be too long, besides I am sure you all have your own stories about Bob and what you have personally gained by your association with him.

I think a good number of you attending the funeral are fellow ham radio operators or have some understanding of the hobby. If not, please bear with me.

The year was 1955. I was 13 years old and recently obtained my first ham radio license. I was embarking upon a hobby that Bob, myself and millions of others still enjoy. One of my first contacts was with amateur radio station KN2LGJ.
    Bob was and old man at 15! You might say, we both still had our ham radio “training wheels” on.

We became friends over ham radio. I don’t think my parents realized how far I traveled on my bicycle from our home near the Sheridan Plaza all the way to Greeley Street in the Black Rock section of Buffalo. Bob often made the trip to my place as well.

Even at the age of 15, Bob had a much deeper understanding of electronics than most of us. He was not only building his own equipment, but if any of us had a problem with ours we would ask Bob for help and he was always ready, willing and able to oblige. I can’t ever remember a time when he couldn’t fix a problem.

Through our teenage years, we attended radio club meetings together, helped each other erect our towers and antennas, and tried all different aspects of our hobby.

Each June, I would borrow a truck from work, we would pack it full of ham radio gear and head for John Gradl’s place in East Otto, with the Niagara Frontier DX Association for what is called Field Day. We would use emergency power, and setup 2 or 3 stations, and often place 1st or 2nd in National Competition. We really enjoyed those times, and often have reminisced about those good old days.

In 1964, Bob was a part of our almost all ham radio wedding party. A year later our first son Joe, was born. I still remember going over to Bob’s when Joe was not even
    2 months old. I was baby sitting while Rose was out, and thought, “why not take him to see RG?”. I thought Mrs. Gaye was going to have a heart attack!

We just sat the baby down in his nip nap on the basement floor and had a nice chat! Needless to say my wife, Rose was not too happy with my decision…

Bob was Godfather to our 2nd son Dan. He was like part of the family!

Whenever I needed some technical help, especially with antenna design, Bob always had an answer. He’d say something like wind a coil, 2” in diameter, about 10 turns and tap it 3 turns from the end, and that should get you close to 50 ohms. I just did what he said, and it worked every time!

Bob was involved in many facets of ham radio. He was an avid DXer and a member of what is called the Honor Roll with over 300 countries contacted and confirmed. He was a member of numerous amateur radio clubs and associations. He designed and built his own equipment and antennas to operate UHF and VHF. He also spend much time contacting other hams via Satelite, and very low powered transmitters. He was always finding some new challenges to get involved with.

Through all the years, he kept in contact with his friends. He would be on the air two or three times a week, just to keep in touch.

We even had our own repeater system, so I could pick up the microphone, give a call, and there was my good friend Bob. One of my granddaughter’s would always say, are you gonna talk to “MG” today? I’d say, it’s “RG”, not MG!!

Bob spent many years working at Sylvania Electronics, and later on became Chief Engineer, partner and VP of Sti-Co Electronics. I have no doubt that Bob’s expertise was a significant factor in the growth of that company.

He was always thinking of others. In these last few years, when I would stop to see him, he would always ask how things are going with me and my family.

Bob had a very strong faith. He was a regular at Mass at St. Andrews. Through all of the rough times, I know Bob turned to the Lord for strength. He was very open when we talked about our faith. It surely was a privilege to be his trusted friend.

I am sure Bob is up there in heaven, and if Our Lord needs any technical help, he’s got one of the best with him to do it!

In Ham Radio terms, when a ham operator passes on, we use the term “Silent Key”. Which means, they are no longer are tapping out morse code signals.

K2LGJ may be a “Silent Key”, but the memories of our good friend Bob Gaye will always be with us.

SK

Best 73 Bob!
    Your friend Tony
    K2NV

2. K2LCT

K2LCT Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W3JS

W3JS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fond Memories of Robert S. Gaye K2LGJ - "RG"

Bob, (RG or Smerge depending on formality...... was a good friend.
    Over the last 50 years we shared sport car events, Poole, many hamfests,
    a glut of 807's and numerous good times. Bob was always there to help
    with technical problems and always had the proper solution.
    We will miss his wry humor and valued friendship.
    Jim W3JS

4. K2VH

K2VH Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew "RG" for over 55 years, and he was one of my best friends. I'll never forget the night my Grandfather (the Rev. E. E. Mueller) was staying with us, and Bob came to visit. Bob and I were dying for a beer, but weren't sure if we should drink one in front of Grandpa Mueller. So Grandpa burst out in an old German song: "Bier her, Bier her, oder ich fall um....." (Beer here, beer here, or I'll fall over.) That did it. We brought up a gallon can of Koch's beer, and the three of us proceeded to kill it. Grandpa had a great time, and so did Bob. He discovered that night that Lutheran ministers can be fun! I had a great time too. God bless RG (and Grandpa Mueller too). And all the rest of us, for that matter.
    RG, we really miss you, old friend!
    Herb K2VH (formerly K2JVM)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.