ad: elecraft

FUNcube SDR Dongles available March 16

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

FUNcube SDR Dongles available March 16

A new batch of FUNcube VHF/UHF SDR Dongles, featured in the April issue of Practical Wireless magazine, will be available Wednesday, March 16, at 22:00 UT.

The FUNcube Software Defined Radio (SDR) Dongle was developed as part of the AMSAT-UK FUNcube satellite project.

Covering 64 - 1700MHz, it connects to the USB port of a PC. They cost about £125 and a proportion of the sales goes to support AMSAT-UK's FUNcube satellite. So far over 500 have been sold around the world.

You need a verified PayPal account to order one and due to demand, the ordering window on previous batches has only lasted a minute, so set your watch accurately.

The FUNcube SDR Dongle ordering page is at
    http://www.funcubedongle.com/?page_id=286

You can join the FUNcube Yahoo Group at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FUNcube/

Practical Wireless - FUNcube Dongle Article
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/march2011/pw_funcube_article.htm

Postal copies of Practical Wireless magazine can be ordered using Debit/Credit card by ringing +44 (0)1202 659910 Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 4.00pm UT.

AMSAT-UK publishes a colour A4 newsletter, OSCAR News, which is full of Amateur Satellite information.
    Join online at http://tinyurl.com/JoinAMSAT-UK/

Get Southgate Amateur Radio News by Email

Don't wait all week for the news!
    Amateur Radio News - updated daily - 365 days per year

2. AJ1O

AJ1O Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like another sellout!

3. K1FJ

K1FJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave it a try and actually made it in before the stock ran out! I used up my Good Luck on this one. A very popular item.

4. KH6GOZ

KH6GOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Obvious question for them is what are they going to do regarding their ability to meet the demand !!!!

73's

MS

5. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

what's the deal with theses things? it looks like you just plug into the USB on your computer and you have instant SAT access. Their site also doesn't show the price in US dollars.

6. KC2YYY

KC2YYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Today's lot sold out in less than a minute! No luck this time. Hopefully next time I will make it :-(
    All those who have this already or will get one soon, please post your reports/experiences.

Jalil KC2YYY

7. KC2YYY

KC2YYY Ham Member QRZ Page

FUNCube dongle is Software Defined Radio (SDR) receiver. Connect antenna to one end, plug in another end to USB port on your computer, download the software and you are all set to receive the entire band from 64MHz to 1,700MHz as the site mentions. The price is about $182 including shipping.

Jalil KC2YYY

8. N9PSE

N9PSE Ham Member QRZ Page

Third time's a charm! I finally got through on this batch. If I read the email from Howard correctly, it looks like I was the first order to get through. Talk about using up your allocation of luck... Looking forward to taking this little beauty for a spin! If there's interest, I'll post my findings at some point.

As a side note: yes, I know it's a little frustrating trying to get one of these. Keep in mind, that Howard's not running a large commercial operation -- it's a small organization staffed with volunteers. And the devices are hand-assembled (if I understand correctly). So, just keep trying -- I was in front of my computer 10 minutes before, counting down to 2200 UTC. At the stroke of 2200 (based on WWV) I clicked the order button, then entered my PayPal info immediately and confirmed the order. I'm guessing Howard runs a tight ship and stays on schedule... So, thanks to Howard and the FunCube / AMSAT-UK gang! 73

9. K1FJ

K1FJ Ham Member QRZ Page

N9PSE

I was also SN 0001 when I ordered , however according to Howard in his e-mail ....

"The 0001 means nothing other than it’s the item number of the FCD. Still, if it makes everyone else feel better, feel free to think that you were all the first!"

I hope that is true, otherwise we will have a tug of war! :)

Frank/K1FJ

10. N9PSE

N9PSE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I thought that might have been the case, but it was a nice thought, none-the-less... Doesn't matter to me whether I got the first one or the last -- I just finally got one. I've been busily downloading the software, today, and getting ready to operate when it arrives. 73!

11. XU7ADQ

XU7ADQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If it were me...

Surely if you have a product that is demanded so far in excess of it's supply, it is time for a re-think about expansion?

Keeping it a 'cottage industry' may seem 'quaint', but there is obviously a significant demand for these things, and people will only wait so long before giving up, and either buying a competing product or spending their money on something else.

I appreciate that the hand assembly and individual testing of each cube, means a time consuming procedure, but it may be time to train up and pay staff to get these things into some semblance of stock.
    Well trained assemblers and testers will ensure that quality doesn't diminish, and orders will be fulfilled.

[​IMG]

Happy campers all round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.