ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov

That design is similar to the "Corner Cockpit" marketed by O'Sulllivan Industries as a computer desk & hutch combo several years ago. I teamed that up with a few of their matching file cabinets to make a very workable operating desk/work surface. As already suggested by others, some holes for cables, as well as a grounding buss on the backside, were a necessity. And yes, it sat away from the wall for easy access, even though the room was the smallest in our house.

Regrettably, that set-up went out the door as we downsized before moving out of SoCal. Glad to see a link to those plans in the OP; bookmarked it already. 73
    Gary, K9ZMD

I would want to get around some of the metal braces with cabinet joints like tongue and groove where possible.
    Take your time, don't be in a hurry.
    Measure twice, cut once and all that.
    The only thing I would do would be to round over the edges on the front if possible.
    Or get some trim for it and use a pin nailer to tack it down.
    Consider staining it when you are done.

Anyway you do it, if you build it...You DA MAN!!
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Default Here's what the Opus has to say on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by N1MLF View Post
    Well as gear, puters, tuners, kludge boxes, switches, cable & wire & associated necessities accumulate all over a flat top table I've decided to build a decent corner style desk to "hopefully" conquer the chaos... at least for a time..
    I found these plans & thought it looked quite reasonable.
    I pass them on for comment, use, discussion etc

http://www.goatinatree.com/desk/desk.htm

Hope you find them useful

73..JW

".......If youíre like me, you probably got your start in ham radio in late high school. Actually I didnít get my license until the summer after graduation, but I was doing a lot of peripheral radio stuff well before then, building crystal radios and simple shortwave receivers and such. I had a pretty fair sized built-in desk in my bedroom, extending about six feet either way from the northwestern corner window. The west wall part of the desk was dedicated to homework and other things I was supposed to be doing, while the north wall part of the desk was dedicated to radios and such. Eventually the radios crept around the corner toward the homework end of the desk until the latter pretty well vanished into non-existence.
    Our suggestion to you is to save time by eliminating the homework part of your desk right at the outset."

Eric the Helpful
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

Our suggestion to you is to save time by eliminating the homework part of your desk right at the outset."
    Or IMMEDIATELY fill that section with radio stuff!
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link!!!
    PB #: 254 SKCC #: 5299 FISTS #: 14696

Grid Square JN39ul/Kaiserslautern-Siegelbach, Germany

Looks like you can expand it in the area of where the monitors are at and put a shelving system with support boards overtop those same monitors. Even put a lighting system of your choice too to shine down on the monitors and desktop.

These plans have several possibilities to amend and add on to the original setup. Might use this to build my own desktop and amend the setup to my personal preferences. Great find and thanks for the link!

Holy Crap!! That's BEAUTIFUL! The only thing I would change is to use a biscuit joiner for the vertical supports rather than using angle brackets, because it's "prettier" joinery, and since Oak venner plywood is up to $70-80/sheet, probably justified. Then again, I have a biscuit joiner.

Regardless, it looks like a well thought out and sturdy design, go for it!!

Mike AC2Q

Wonderful desk! You did a great job. Just remember that it will look great for about two weeks. Example:

Starting out:

After two weeks:

(with a tip of the hat to KJ3N)
    Last edited by WA4BRL; 03-14-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    73, Steve
    43 years in Amateur Radio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2