Callsign
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Who has HRD working with a Kenwood radio?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

I have a kenwood 940 and the new Pk232SC and I am not successful in getting the 940 to transmit. I can read the frequency readout but cannot for the life of me get it to transmit. Been scratching my head now for about 4 days without success. All the connections for rig control are through the PK232SC. The PK232SC has a sound card built in for the Sound Card modes. I have also tried Radio Operations Center demo and am able to monitor the different modes but will not transmit.

Any help would surely be appreciated...

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
    WB4MYO
    ronnievideo@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by WB4MYO View Post
    I have a kenwood 940 and the new Pk232SC and I am not successful in getting the 940 to transmit. I can read the frequency readout but cannot for the life of me get it to transmit. Been scratching my head now for about 4 days without success. All the connections for rig control are through the PK232SC. The PK232SC has a sound card built in for the Sound Card modes. I have also tried Radio Operations Center demo and am able to monitor the different modes but will not transmit.

Any help would surely be appreciated...

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
    WB4MYO
    ronnievideo@aol.com
    Without getting into details – what keys-up your rig?
    CW key , PTT or audio from your sound card.
    You have CW, PTT connected and the sound card audio output too, right?
    Did you program you rig to monitor the sound card?
    Some vendors call it "digital" but it is actually analog audio.

I also believe you are mixing CAT with "digital" TX mode.
    Frequency is read / set by CAT, audio controls the "digital" stuff.
    Two unrelated hardware interfaces to your rig.

Thanks so much for your reply to my post.
    The PK232SC now has a sound card in it. The program I am trying to use is Radio Operations Center software. I can get the TNC modes to both receive and transmit. However, in the sound card mode (psk 31 and so on ) the radio will not transmit. I am sure it is a setting some where that I have missed. Pilot error on my part is the most likely problem. The PK232SC has rig control built in so you do not need an interface as we did years ago with the old PK232. Just so many settings and choices that I am overwhelmed. I have downloaded the 200 page manual for the ROC software and digging through it now. With my old setup I had a Signalink with a USB connection to the computer and then a radio interface to (I assume) to read and Key the Kenwood 940 and I was able to get that to work.
    Years ago I really liked working Amtor and Pactor and that is why I bought the PK232SC. My old Pk232 along with a lot of my gear took a hit during Katrina years ago and I am just now getting back on the air. As usual I am always one click from disaster or one click from success.

Thanks again

Ronnie
    WB4MYO

Quote Originally Posted by WB4MYO View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply to my post.
    The PK232SC now has a sound card in it. The program I am trying to use is Radio Operations Center software. I can get the TNC modes to both receive and transmit. However, in the sound card mode (psk 31 and so on ) the radio will not transmit. I am sure it is a setting some where that I have missed. Pilot error on my part is the most likely problem. The PK232SC has rig control built in so you do not need an interface as we did years ago with the old PK232. Just so many settings and choices that I am overwhelmed. I have downloaded the 200 page manual for the ROC software and digging through it now. With my old setup I had a Signalink with a USB connection to the computer and then a radio interface to (I assume) to read and Key the Kenwood 940 and I was able to get that to work.
    Years ago I really liked working Amtor and Pactor and that is why I bought the PK232SC. My old Pk232 along with a lot of my gear took a hit during Katrina years ago and I am just now getting back on the air. As usual I am always one click from disaster or one click from success.

Thanks again

Ronnie
    WB4MYO
    Ronnie, can you send me the link to the manual?
    I did Google PK232SC but got too much junk to go thru.
    I'll take a look when it gets to hot here. I am workin gon FD wire antennas HI HI HI.

Quote Originally Posted by K3OFX View Post
    W9GBs rant offered nothing to help solve the problem discribed in the thread. If you have no constructive criticism or a real solution, please don't bother us with your prejudice and rant!
    That didn't not be no 'rant' .......... no sir ....... no 'rant' a'tall. That was a butt-kickin' deluxe! Good info! Opened some eyeballz too!

Quote Originally Posted by K3OFX View Post
    W9GBs rant offered nothing to help solve the problem discribed in the thread. If you have no constructive criticism or a real solution, please don't bother us with your prejudice and rant!
    Jeeesh!

Don't worry, as a new ham you'll get around to figuring out all of this new fancy stuff..... Let's start with the thing in front of you. That's your keyboard, which is part of your computer. You computer is not a ham radio, but can be very helpful to you while you are operating your ham radio. It can even operate your radio for you if you get a program called Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD for short). But first you'll need some sort of port to connect your radio to, This is called a Serial Port (usually RS-232) . Not all computers have serial ports, some only have USB ports and you'll need some sort of adapter to adapt your USB to RS-232. One word of caution though, if you have one of those new, fancy shmancy computers avoid an adapter with the Prolific chip in it. There are many fakes on the market (That's where you buy stuff, say it with me...M...A...R...K...E....T. Very good, I knew you could if you tried!). So what have we learned here today? We've learned Prolific = Bad! And we learned there is a smart alec in Illinois!

I have one last thing to say, "If you have no constructive criticism or a real solution, please don't bother us with your prejudice and rant!" Otherwise, some smart a$$ is liable to come along and point out the obvious for you.
    Steve
    Macomb, IL

UPDATE, directly from Prolific in Taiwan.
    END OF LIFE for Prolific PL-2303HX(Chip Rev A)
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=23

PL-2303HX(Chip Rev A) will be phased out at the end of October 2012.
    The PL-2303XA chipset was previously discontinued.
    It will be replaced by PL-2303TA which is pin-to-pin compatible with PL-2303HXA and PL-2303XA.
    Please refer to the PL-2303TA PCN, Datasheet, and Migration Guide or contact Sales for more information.

PL-2303TA Migration Guide (PDF) useful for older designs/usages.
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/f...on%20Guide.pdf

PL-2303TA Datasheet (notice stated support for Windows 8)
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/f...3TA_v1.0.0.pdf

FOR the DIY amateur radio experimenter with SMT abilities,
    you could rip-out the Fake Prolific chip and replace (with minor changes)
    with latest (0.18 nm fabrication) Prolific USB technology.

Page 18 of the Datasheet shows USB to RS-232 dongle schematic, using the Sipex SP213EHCA for
    serial TTL (output from Prolific chipset) to RS-232 standard (DE-9) voltage levels.
    Last edited by W9GB; 04-25-2012 at 12:30 AM.
    Nullius in verba

Here's one I don't think I've seen yet. I am using HRD 5.22 on a Windows Vista computer. I have a Kenwood TS-570D. HRD USED to work fine for about a year or so, and then it stopped. N1MM also stopped working at the same time. At first it was sporadic, and now it totally won't connect. I have hard reset the processor in the radio, and I've uninstalled and re-installed Windows. Now for the kicker, I am using a serial cable. Not a USB with an adapter. If I never had it working it would be one thing, but I've had it working and now it won't. Any ideas?

Thanks

Don K2DV

Quote Originally Posted by K2DV View Post
    Here's one I don't think I've seen yet. I am using HRD 5.22 on a Windows Vista computer. I have a Kenwood TS-570D. HRD USED to work fine for about a year or so, and then it stopped. N1MM also stopped working at the same time. At first it was sporadic, and now it totally won't connect. I have hard reset the processor in the radio, and I've uninstalled and re-installed Windows. Now for the kicker, I am using a serial cable. Not a USB with an adapter. If I never had it working it would be one thing, but I've had it working and now it won't. Any ideas?

Thanks

Don K2DV
    Start with the basics.......

1. Is the correct COM Port and speed selected (Both software and radio)? My TS-570S works best at 96-1 (9.6k). Menu #35
    2. Update the driver for your serial (COM) port. Let Windows search the internet for the best driver.
    3. Make sure you are using a known good cable.
    4. Vista sucks (Can you go back to WindowsXP or move up to Windows7?).
    Steve
    Macomb, IL

Com Port correct on all counts. Matches data on menu #35. I also was using 96.1 Somewhere in HRD I read that Kenwoods are happy at 48-2. I tried changing all that too with no luck. Drivers are up to date. (According to Windows) Cable, assume it's good, It worked before! That being said I will pull the cable and check it with an ohm meter for continuity between pins. Vista sucks. Yup, sure does! But then again it WAS working with Vista, and I had the original CD that came with the computer, so that's what I went back to. I also did ALL the updates for Windows to make it current. I will see if I can go to XP though, I always liked that one better anyway!

Thanks for the info,

Don K2DV

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast