Callsign
ad: w5yi
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Who has HRD working with a Kenwood radio?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Did you try the RTS and DTR That corrected my FT990

Yes, but the radio is "spewing data" out with nothing plugged into it. There is an RTS and CTS pin (4 & 5) on the radio jack and those are jumpered together on the plug provided with the DigiMaster Pro+ but those signal pins do not go back down the wire so they make no difference. My problem is with the radio, I'm pretty certain at this point. As if there is a configuration bit that turns on this data output which makes it not work as expected.

Problem solved! All it was was the connection on the back of the interface at the 3.5mm stereo plug had the tip and ring reversed. Thank you to Neil at ZLP electronics for helping me troubleshoot it.

Once I had the wires corrected I was able to communicate with the radio and send "AF0;" (Auto Information off) and the data streaming stopped. HRD connected up fine and turned it back on! HAHA

Thanks to everybody who responded here and privately.

HRD is working! \o/

I got my TS-2000 working in about 10 minutes with HRD 5.x. I have one of the Prolific USB-Serial adapters and was told they are crap. Some searching on the net came up with one solution to possible problems and that was to turn off the FIFO. If you are using an adapter and having problems you might try this solution. Go to the Control Panel, under System go to the Hardware devices and the specific com port. You may have the ability to turn off the FIFO. This is under Win XP, don't know about Win 7.

Anyway, initially I got the reading frequency error and power cycled the 2000. It had no problems after that. I am running the port with hardware control at 57600 baud. I was surprised when starting up HRD later it automagically turned on the radio. Real nice piece of software.

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan
    N6SXR

Well even though I have posted to this thread about my success with using the COMM port with my TS-570 my motherboard failed and installed a replacement. I was operating the old mobo at 38400 without issue.

Installed a new MSI, the old one was MSI as well, configured the COMM port at 9600 linked with the TS-570 fine. Went back into the TS570 menu and raised speed back to 38400 and configured COMM port as well, link failure. Reset everything back to 9600, link failure again. Tried all kinds of combinations and all would fail.

Gave up and just for the heck of it installed my USB/Serial adapter and configured it for 9600 and the TS-570 as well, guess what? Link established first try.

Don't know what kind of configuration coding gets sent from HRD through the COMM device control blocks but something in it sure does trash the initialization. Powering down the radio to clear things out doesn't help either once it begins.

Only recommendation I can make is when whichever serial device you start with fails, switch to another and go back if you have to see if things start working again. Once it works, it stays working.

No logic to it but that's what I've seen happening with my Kenwood. Certain models of these radios must have an issue or HRD coding might. Perhaps they are writing data too fast to the device control block during initialization, I've seen this happen on USB firmware upgrades and they had to inject code to the controller to slow down the READ cycle or it would abort in the middle of firmware transfer.

Just some thoughts, maybe you programmers can chime in.

HRD won't talk to my Kenwood TS-450S. It recognizes the radio, then refuses to talk to it.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

I have a Kenwood TS-940S and it is now working perfectly with HRD. I obtained the Piexx cat board and installed it in the radio since my radio did not come with remote operation capability. The Piexx had an output for RS232 which my computer does not have. I had to get a cheap USB to RS232 adapter for my laptop computer from Ebay. Still did not work, got error code 10 no matter what. By accident I found a later driver for the adapter that was advertised to fix error code 10. It was a much later driver than the one that came with the adapter. Installed this driver and no more problems. I found the new driver by looking at adapter adds on Ebay, which is where I got my no-name adapter for less than $10 (yea, I'm pretty cheap). Say what you will about Ebay, but some of the cheap crap sold there actually works!

At a hamfest a few weeks ago, I asked a vendor old timer about Kenwood and HRD compatibility. He said that Kenwood chose to use an RS232 protocol (mode?) that is no longer popular and a lot of RS-232 ports or adapters won't work, you need an RS232 port that is "all mode", whatever that is. Could be that your problem is compatibility between your radio and computer port, try looking for later drivers for the computer or dry a different brand computer. Good luck 73.

K3OFX

I recently discovered this program! Its GREAT! Now I have a bandscope for my Kenwood TS-480SAT! I almost bought another radio with a bandscope till I found this!

I am using my thinkpad with an FTDI adapter to serial. ANY of the adapters with the FTDI chipset will work with anything RS-232!

This program is soooooo great ....

Thanks all!

KD5SPX

I had to get a cheap USB to RS232 adapter for my laptop computer from Ebay. Still did not work, got error code 10 no matter what. By accident I found a later driver for the adapter that was advertised to fix error code 10. It was a much later driver than the one that came with the adapter. Installed this driver and no more problems. I found the new driver by looking at adapter adds on eBay, which is where I got my no-name adapter for less than $10 (yea, I'm pretty cheap). Say what you will about Ebay, but some of the cheap crap sold there actually works! - K3OFX
    Your cheap Big Box store USB cable (eBay sales) likely uses the PROLIFIC device, a Taiwan (China) based mfg.
    http://www.prolific.com.tw

Prolfiic PL-2303 USB to Serial Bridge IC
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

When Steve Ford at ARRL commented that he had trouble with USB-RS-232 cable -- it was a Prolific chip with bad/poor OS driver support.

I got my no-name adapter for less than $10 (yea, I'm pretty cheap).
    .. and it did not work. It has taken years for Prolific just to correct their "buggy" OS drivers --
    Thanks for encouraging Eastern Asia product dumping.

BTW, The USA and UK produce BETTER supported products (larger number of OS, hardware device drivers) -- at the same cost !
    Did you know they support Android OS, Linux, Mac OS ??

Readily available from Mouser, DigiKey, Allied Electronics, and other US electronics distributors.

Silicon Labs - Austin, TX (USA)
    http://www.silabs.com/Pages/default.aspx

FTDI - UK
    http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm

Parallax sells a USB to Serial dongle for $15 - $17 USD -- at Fry's; electronics retail stores; and mail-order distributors.
    They use FTDI chipset.

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 11-08-2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Nullius in verba

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast