ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec

Quote Originally Posted by WX7G View Post
    Wood on the other hand is very nice
    Like the 40' A-frame made out of 2x2 wood in all the ARRL antenna books? They must work.
    73, Mike
    http://www.w0btu.com

Thank you very much! I'll give it a try.

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------
    typing service

If you haven't seen what Max Gain Systems offers, I recommend you check them out: www.mgs4u.com. I've got the 50' telescoping fiberglass mast. It is solid in high winds. Needs to be guyed of course. My dipole is set at a height of 43 feet. 1/8" thick material so it's super rigid.

Jeff W6UX

Quote Originally Posted by W0BTU View Post
    Like the 40' A-frame made out of 2x2 wood in all the ARRL antenna books? They must work.
    I have built many of the ARRL Handbook A-frame towers. Up to 40' using 2 x 4 lumber for Yagis, 2 x 2 lumber for wire antennas, and 1 x 2 lumber for lightweight wire antennas. One of the nice things about the 1 x 2 A-frame is that if it does fall down it isn't going to damage anything. And at $1 per 8' length of lumber the paint costs more than the wood.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by WX7G View Post
    I have built many of the ARRL Handbook A-frame towers. Up to 40' using 2 x 4 lumber for Yagis, ...
    I wonder how high you could go with 2x4 -- perhaps with 2x6 at the bottom -- for a wire antenna?
    73, Mike
    http://www.w0btu.com

Quote Originally Posted by KD8EZP View Post
    Does anybody have any thoughts on building a 35' mast useing 4" PVC pipe?
    Modulus of elasticity of PVC pipe = 360,000 psi
    Modulus of elasticity of aluminum pipe = 10,000,000 psi

... which means PVC pipe is 27 times more "floppy" than aluminum (assuming the same diameter and wall thickness). Imagine a stiff breeze that makes the aluminum mast move one inch at the top; the PVC mast will bend by more than 2 feet. You'll be surprised how floppy the PVC is. It's like a noodle. With guy wires or cords it can be made to work, but eventually you'll wish you had steel, aluminum or fiberglass instead. 73 Jim

my experience only.
    I have used PVC and it looks good for a while. The sun tends to warm it up and it begins to show warping. After while it looks crappy. Like a not so stiff worm .
    Sure PVC is cheap and it does tend to make cheap temp antennas that usually have a short life span.
    Most importantly is that "you gotta do what you gotta do." to get on the air.

As for the mentioned Fiberglas poles from EBAY. I bought 3 of them. They do not telescope but are Ex Military and in the green carry bag with all the military markings. Buy it now $7.50 and $24.00 for shipping NY to KS USPS.
    12 poles @ 48" long I thought it was a decent deal.
    Field day, vert antenna, support for long wire, many potential uses.
    let us know what you do and how it worked out for ya.
    Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge.

Never under any circumstances,take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Cats know your every thought.
    They don't care,
    but they know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2