ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

I'm with Steve, mobile CW seems pretty safe. I've tried 2M few times and never felt good about operating with a mic. I've only been mobile for about 9 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by KD0EIA View Post
    You know, I suppose CW is probably pretty safe, If you consider it a second language it really no different then just talking to someone in the car.
    Would that be correct?

73's
    Russ KD0EIA
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

Quote Originally Posted by K5RCD View Post
    Gawd ! I would never try that.
    I'd spill my beer for sure.
    Beer? Hell, I don't even spill my martini unless I have to hit the brakes hard.

Radio, ham or CB tends to be un-engaging, like "hey, how's the weather" type stuff, "simplex", whereas telephone conversation tends to be more engaging, and "duplex".

Except when the mike cord knocks my pizza down and it lands in my whiskey.
    Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    . . . Here in CA, we've had the "hands free" regulation for a while, but it pertains to using telephones; 2-way radio gear is specifically exempted.
    Steve, you really need to actually read the CA law. Let's not hang too much hope on the definition of "wireless telephone". Although, two way radio is simply not addressed, that is definitely not the same as "specifically exempted". The officer on the scene can decide that someone's fancy-schmancy ham radio seems pretty much the same as a wireless telephone & write it as such.

More bad, the officer writes the ticket for distracted driving, leaving a ham with no leg to stand on at all.

The very baddest, the ham is involved in an accident while playing radio. Subsequently, his expensive lawyer is trying to convince a civil court jury that operating ham radio equipment while driving had absolutely nothing at all to do with the accident . . . but the jury only remembers that just a "preponderance of evidence" is required for a thumbs down verdict.

Hands-free is the way to go, whether cell phone or ham radio, and attentive driving means - as a minimum - don't play radio if there's a patrol car anywhere within sight.
    Gary, K9ZMD

I found this mentioned only in chicago's ordinances with the ticket for using a HT as a "cellphone" that got tossed out in court. I haven't had any problems yet but that is mostly due to the fact i work late nights(11 pm normally) and not a lot of 2 meter activity at this time. Once i get the vhf/uhf/HF rig in the car though, i would rather be safe then sorry. Their has also been in this town, minor reports of the local cops harassing folks with scanners in their cars, but i take these with a grain of salt too. Normally the plates stop these problems cold

Quote Originally Posted by KC9TLP View Post
    Has anyone got any issues so far from this this where they are? I know in IL, we're supposed to have the ham radio plates as its written into the law. The fact the dmv took 30 minutes to look the paperwork up is bothersome to say the least. even with bluetooth radios out there(the yaesu ft-10m and 350 come to mind) its not really hands free anyways, and its quite expensive.
    The only issue I have is why so many ham radio operators believe they are exempt from safety laws.

Once a law is written I believe in the strict interpretation thereof, so if it does, in fact, exempt hams then so be it. If not, I have no problem with it.

Why would you suppose ham radio operators are any different than any other citizen in the country. Just because one gets a ham license, doesn't automagically mean they are superior citizens.

But regarding laws, what laws do you think they break? In WA, it's perfectly legal to use a radio while driving. Hell, you can even use a cell phone, held up to the mouth, using the speaker phone. You just can't hold it to your ear. Talk about a dumb law. Using a cell phone or radio is no more serious than looking at your radio to find a cool song to play. The problem with these laws, is they are written by idiots, who have no concern for safety. They are just trying to get political points by some demographic.

Anyone here really think speeding cams are about safety? Or is it more likely they are about revenue?

OH! And regarding not obeying laws... ever hear of the concept of "Civil disobedience"? If everyone always obeyed every law, everytime, without question, we'd still be speaking the King's English (vs. US English)

when I'm driving the car, I'm driving the car. it's a full time job. I can't imagine trying to explain in court why i felt the need to communicate with a stranger in Palookastan while operating a multithousand pound vehicle on city streets in Albuquerque

Quote Originally Posted by KC7VE View Post
    Why would you suppose ham radio operators are any different than any other citizen in the country. Just because one gets a ham license, doesn't automagically mean they are superior citizens.
    I driven a lot of miles talking on a cell phone, talking on a cell phone with a bluetooth headset, and talking on the radio. In my opinion the cell phone alone is distracting, because of the need to hold it up your ear. A hands free headset is much better, I feel like I can concentrate on the road much easier with virtually no distraction.

The radio is about the same. When I have time to talk, I talk. If I don't, I leave the mic where it lays until I'm not busy making a turn or negotiating traffic. If I need to concentrate on driving for a minute I've found other guys on the repeater are more than OK with the fact that I'm busy and to just wait. It's not uncommon to hear guys request the other side to hang tight for a few minutes until they get on the freeway or through heavy traffic. All said I don't think using a radio detracts from driving at all.

Quote Originally Posted by K9ZMD View Post
    Steve, you really need to actually read the CA law. Let's not hang too much hope on the definition of "wireless telephone". Although, two way radio is simply not addressed, that is definitely not the same as "specifically exempted". The officer on the scene can decide that someone's fancy-schmancy ham radio seems pretty much the same as a wireless telephone & write it as such.
    I don't think so.

Source:

Amateur Radio Exempt from California's New 'Hands Free' Law:

"On July 1, the State of California will have new laws on the books to deal with the use of wireless telephones while driving. There has been some confusion as to whether California amateurs who operate in their car will be affected by the new law. According to the California Department of Motor Vehicle's Web site http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonel...cell_phone.pdf, "the use of dedicated two-way radios such as walkie-talkies or Citizen Band (CB) radios is not affected by the new law" for drivers 18 or older."

Source:

The ARRL Letter Vol. 27, No. 10 March 14, 2008

More bad, the officer writes the ticket for distracted driving, leaving a ham with no leg to stand on at all.
    I'd be more than happy to test this, and I guarantee I'd win. But then, when operating mobile I'm not using a microphone (I work CW) so without a microphone in sight, an officer would have a really hard time proving what I was doing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast