Callsign
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best HF CW Transceiver for the buck?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters

Default Best HF CW Transceiver for the buck?

Hello everyone,

I currently use some old boat anchor gear (see my signature below). Mostly enjoy CW on 80, 40, and 20. My primary rig is a Swan 600 twin and it isn't that great for CW. I've worked all continents and almost WAS so my setup works fine, but what would be a good next step in regards to an upgraded radio for CW?

I was reading about the Elecraft K3 and have encountered some stations on the air that use the K3. It looks like a fine CW rig. Looks like you get what you pay for because it is pricey, too.

I don't necessarily want to talk about radios within a budget range as much as I would like to talk about radios that work awesome for HF CW.

I realize that besides power output, most of the new rigs should be quite an upgrade over a Swan, but you guys tell me, since I don't have any new equipment and haven't really had the chance to use any new gear. By using the Swan 600 instead of newer SS equipment, what am I missing?

What radios should I take a look at/try/research?
    Rigs: HW-8, HW-100, Swan 600 Twin, Kenwood TS-570d(g)
    Keys: Bencher BY-1, Heathkit HD-1410, J-38
    Dipoles: 160-30m inverted V, Buckmaster OCF
    Beams: Homebrew 6-band Spiderbeam (30-10m), K4KIO Hexbeam (20-6m)
    Verticals: ZeroFive 43-foot Vertical

Focusing only on what's available "new" today, the K3, K2, Orion-II, and Eagle are probably the best CW rigs that are reasonably affordable. The IC-7800, IC-7700, FTDX-9000 family are all very good CW rigs but a notch higher in cost. The OMNI-VII and Jupiter are very good CW rigs, a notch lower in cost. (Although the K2 needn't be very expensive: If you buy just the CW version without a lot of options, it's pretty cheap.) And of course there's lots of stuff on the used market that will run triple rings around the Swan twins on CW.

What you're missing?

-Dramatically improved stability.
    -Dramatically improved filtering.
    -Ease of bandchanging without having to tune anything.
    -Ease of operating "split," and then going "reverse" (to listen to the other half of the split) at the push of a button, in half a second.
    -Very good built-in electronic keyer.
    -Receiver refinements including passband tuning, notch filtering, the ability to tune in a CW signal from either side of zero beat (instead of just one side, like with the Swan) at the push of a button...
    -Generally better adjacent signal immunity, not just the result of single IF filtering, but also roofing filters, improvements in active stage dynamic range and AGC -- just everything.
    -Built-in automatic antenna tuners in most cases; very fast, single push button tuning.
    -Full, seamless QSK (break-in) without noise, at any speed.

You'll be shocked.

However, for general rag chewing and having fun, old gear is great and maybe all a lot of people will ever need.

Probably for me the most serious drawback to the Swan stuff is lack of frequency stability.

Used TenTec Omnis from just about any year can represent not only one of the best performing CW rigs, but often can be found at a very nice pricepoint. Omni C, D, that kinda thing.

TenTec is very good about help on their old rigs, too.

TenTec QSK is legendary stuff.

Someday I need to try these top end rigs or see them side by side on same antenna.

I haven't tried many different rigs. I grew up on FT101EE and like it except no full break-in or radio interface. Now have IC746 and works great for me. I've used a IC756Pro3 at Field Day and didn't notice anything great above what I have already used. The overall quality of mid range rigs is pretty good these days.
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

Look at the Kenwood TS 480.
    A lot of performance for the cost at 100 watts.
    The HX model has 200 watts in the same small package running from 2 power supplies.
    The dsp and data filter controls provide good copy without ringing at narrow band width setting.

I love my Elecraft K2/100. Over the years, I've owned rigs from every major manufacturer and for CW I find my K2 to be the best of them all. I'd love to get a K3 one of these days, but the K2 does everything I need, and does it so well that I just can't justify the extra expense right now. My second choice for CW would be something from TenTec.
    I have noticed that so many ops are upgrading from the K2 to the K3, that K2 can be found already built at a pretty reasonable price on the used market these days. However, if you're able and willing, the building experience is a lot of fun.
    Good luck with whatever you decide - I've operated the Swan Twins and agree you deserve an upgrade!

A Swan on CW? I don't think I ever met a Swan user who owned a key. I distinctly remember visiting a big DXer with his Swan station, and not being able to get on CW, because a key was the one accessory his station lacked. Are you sure you aren't whistling into a microphone?

Anyway, the K3 is superb on CW, and I've never met a Ten Tec that didn't do CW really, really well. I think I'd personally give the nod to Ten Tec, because I am in awe of the audio on on those beasts, mostly for SSB. I used a K3 in a Cw Field Day a few years ago, and my impression was that it could hear better than anything else I've used. But, Ten Tec have wowed me that way in the past, too.

The Yaesu FT-950 has some impressive specs, and I've always liked my IC-746 for CW, so I suspect I'd love the new IC-7410. However, I don't think these rigs are in nearly the same class with the K3 or TT.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

The Drake TR4-CWRIT can be an excellent CW rig with the addition of a modern filter from International, the C-line also excells on CW with improved filtering. All of the mods are available from Sherwood Eng. Most Ten Tec rigs made after 1980 are great on CW. I'm not a big fan of hype and while the K3 is a very good CW rig I think it is over priced for what you actually get. There are a dozen radios that can perform as well with a couple of modifications for a lot less money.
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

What -- Nobody has mentioned the newest Kenwood? I have the TS-590S, and after many years with boatanchors and newer mid-range rigs (99% CW, too), I think the TS-590 is a tremendous bang for the bucks.

Wow. I leave this thread for a bit and come back and have some replies. Great.

I promise I'm not whistling in the mike. I got my start with a J-2 straight key and just barely moved up to a Heathkit HD-1410. Yes, it's an upgrade to me... My 1410 is upgraded for higher current handling as well. Been a lot of fun so far.

Anyway... it seems the K3 could be anywhere from $2-3k. Without having used one and without experiencing what I'm missing, are there any used rigs better than the Swan 600 for around the $500 mark? I know there are deals out there. There may even be a real fine solid state rig deal in that range that would be a significant upgrade... Maybe I should keep the Swan for phone and just get a CW only rig to go with it. I will research all of the rigs listed in this thread.

My Dad has a Yaesu FT-107. I've never used his rig and he doesn't do CW anymore. I know there is a following for the 107s. How does the FT-107 compare to the Swan twin?
    Rigs: HW-8, HW-100, Swan 600 Twin, Kenwood TS-570d(g)
    Keys: Bencher BY-1, Heathkit HD-1410, J-38
    Dipoles: 160-30m inverted V, Buckmaster OCF
    Beams: Homebrew 6-band Spiderbeam (30-10m), K4KIO Hexbeam (20-6m)
    Verticals: ZeroFive 43-foot Vertical

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast