ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Default HexBeam + Rohn H50 + RT-424 ?

Iím trying to come up with a directional solution. I am a property renter.

My idea is a Glen Martin RT-424 on the ground (securely) with my Yaesu 450 rotor and thrust bearing in the RT-424, a Rohn H50 telescoping mast with the top section removed, to a hex beam probably from DX Engineering. The H50 will be secured to the eaves of the house at the 2nd story level in a way that allows it to still rotate (is the plan).

I think this will leave about 15ft of mast part extended past the eave brace. Does this sound OK? I live in Southern California.. No snow or ice, occasional wind of SoCal strength (not really sure of the MPH). I was thinking in this way no guys would be needed.

Access to, and installation of the beam would take place on the second story roof.

Does that put the hex beam above your roof in the clear or tucked away "behind" the roof?

I was debating a similar setup with a hex beam on a Rohn telescoping mast. I was concerned that even with the light weight and wind surface or the hex beam, it and the rotator may exceed the Rohn mast's capabilities. Hope to hear the thoughts of others.
    Check out www.hamhijinks.com. On Twitter as @K5PO

Quote Originally Posted by KJ4ZVV View Post
    Does that put the hex beam above your roof in the clear or tucked away "behind" the roof?
    Above the roof, in the clear.

The rotor will be down below, so the only windload and weight will be the hexbeam. Its about 20lbs and maybe 5lbs of wind resistance.

36' of mast rotating above the RT is a lot. Alignment to a very good rotary bearing attached to the house will be extremely critical: If you miss by a tenth of an inch, it's not going to rotate.

Even with a house mounted bearing, unless that's up very high (like >20' above ground) the mast will not self support with any load on it at all. The H50 was designed to be guyed every ten feet (five sets of guys).

This might work if you guy it just below the beam (as small a load as that is) using a rotating guy ring, which the H50 does come with standard. Three guys at that location, with 120 degrees between the guys, will probably make this work. But alignment of the tower, rotator, RT thrust bearing, and house bearing is very critical. If there's a one degree tilt, this probably won't work. But with perfect alignment, it probably will.

It would be better to put the RT on the roof with a much shorter mast, and make it a "non permanent" installation. Many good ways to do that, so once it's removed there will be no trace it was ever there.

The eave where it will attach is certainly over 20ft high.

I can add a guy in 3 or maybe even 4 directions above the roof, not the end of the world.

I can guy the mast below the roof level at 12ft or so without an issue using a guy ring but only in 2 locations due to it being against a wall.

What about a guy 12ft or so, a U-Bolt with close spacing keeping it secure but still rotatable to the eave, then another guy above that? At the level below the roof the mast is nestled in a way and not exposed to wind at all

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    Alignment to a very good rotary bearing attached to the house will be extremely critical: If you miss by a tenth of an inch, it's not going to rotate.
    I am not to confident I will be able to do that...

This might work if you guy it just below the beam (as small a load as that is) using a rotating guy ring, which the H50 does come with standard. Three guys at that location, with 120 degrees between the guys, will probably make this work. But alignment of the tower, rotator, RT thrust bearing, and house bearing is very critical. If there's a one degree tilt, this probably won't work. But with perfect alignment, it probably will.
    Yes. And I have done just that, many years ago in college atop an apartment where I lived. I had a Mosley MP-33 (TA-33jr with beefed-up traps), which I suspect was hevier than the hex beam. It worked fine. Good luck!
    Bill WA8FOZ

Quote Originally Posted by WA8FOZ View Post
    Yes. And I have done just that

Hey Bill!!

Can you describe your old set up with some detail?

Thanks!

If its attatched to the eaves 20ft up or so, there wouldnt need to be any guying below that level right? If i attatrched it to the eaves in a snug fitting U-bolt that still allowed it to rotate but didnt let it move around to much would that be sufficient at that level? And then a guy every 10ft above that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast