Callsign
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunspot Cycle 24 Out without a BANG?, Another "Maunder Minimum"?, Social unrest?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl

Contribute
to QRZ

Question Sunspot Cycle 24 Out without a BANG?, Another "Maunder Minimum"?, Social unrest?

Straight out of the gates ..... no politics or religion, please.

I'm smart enough to know that real "trends" in the grand scheme of things are longer than a single man or woman's life, however I'm beginning to give this "Maunder Minimum" phenomenon a real look. It is fact, not a theory.

I don't know about you and where you live, but it's cold in the South, and it's been that way for some time now. I know ... not long enough to be statistically important. Never the less, it has been a colder than usual winter (I have the utility bills to prove it) than any of my memory.

The long heralded Sunspot Cycle number 24 has waffled so far. While it is to be seen what will actually happen, it sure looks like this is some sort of minimum developing. A mini ice age happened the last time such an event occurred.

While the lack of sun spots and associated propagation may not be of significance to any but a few hobbyists, a mini-ice age is a real cause for concern. Feeding 6+ billion people doesn't happen by accident. Hungry people, of which we already have too many, will get more than a little restless when food stocks drop and inflationary pressures take staples out of their reach. Imagine the current inflation in food commodities (already fed by energy prices in the US) tripling, or worse due to global temps dropping.

Dave
    K4JDN

Question

Is there a question here? I'm confused . . .
    ex-W4DFW Ham since 1970. ARRL Life Member and Volunteer Counsel

There's always 160 meters
    Who needs sunspots anyway?
    Licensed since 1977

I think 24 is pretty much on target (if a little laggy) with all the predictions... Hardly a Maunder Minimum, no? http://www.solarcycle24.com/trends.htm
    Charley K1DNR

sunspots and climatology are in debate. I think if you check you will find that there was a very high number of volcanic activity coincident with the M.M., a more likely and well known cause of climate cooling.

When all else fails, when things are at their darkest and the ice is everywhere, ham radio will be there. Yes amateur radio will save the day as all hams band together turning on their rigs and amplifiers simultaneously on 3940.00 KHZ, heating up the atmosphere and causing the crops to grow once more. So remember, When All Else Fails........
    I'm sorry you don't have the experience or understanding to realize that others possess a skill set that you seem to dismiss as fantastical.

It's an 11 year cycle. 11 years is a long time. There's no way you will see "solar maximum" type conditions anytime soon. Things will improve VERY gradually.

Actually, the normal sunspot cycle resembles a sawtooth wave more closely than it does a sine wave. Usually, the maximum occurs quite rapidly after a minimum, but it decays more slowly.

The big one, Cycle 19 peaked at around 240 in 1957, only 3 years after the 1954 minimum.

Even during prolonged minima, the 11 year cycle is still there, but the peaks are extremely feeble.

According to data presented in this article, we are overdue for a prolonged minimum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp%C3%B6rer_Minimum
    Hard Core AM since 1959

Not to worry, the sun will explode into a nova and it will be lights out (literally).

As said in 2010 a space odyssey, "You must leave in 2 days. Something wonderful is going to happen".

Why worry, be happy.

K2WH

In the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by W4PG View Post
    Is there a question here? I'm confused . . .
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast