ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec

Default FT-920 or FT-950

Iím in a dilemma, which I should purchase a used Yaesu FT-920 priced in the neighborhood of $1,000 with no warranty or a new FT-950 price at $1,350 with a full warranty. The FT-920, though not the most advanced HF rig by todayís standards, seems to have had very good reviews.

Iím an old man new to Ham radio who wants to work CW right now but later, once I get my General license, may want to go further such as Packet, RTTY etc.. I really donít want to ďsave 35%Ē now only to purchase another rig when the time comes to advance beyond CW. (Whatís the old saying, ďPay me now or pay me laterĒ?)

The obvious question is which rig do you, the hams who know the business, suggest? The next question is - do these things actually wear out? Hams seem to buy and sell rigs all the time but I would think most of it is due to the desire to have the latest technology available.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Pat

I really like the FT920. It is my first ham transceiver and I think it is really nice. It has a very good receiver and lots of different adjustments for microphone gain, receiving DSP, etc. I am not as knowledgeable on the FT950 but from what I read that is a great transceiver as well. The FT920 is a solid choice from my perspective. I don't think you can go wrong with either but I did pay about $200 less than what you are going to pay for mine without the FM modification for 6m.
    Keith
    AK6ZZ

Email: [email]ak6zz@hotmail.com[/email]

920 great radio !
    950 Newer technology

You will be happy either way!

Yaesu has free wonderful software for the FT-950. Puts a real nice realistic picture of the FT-950 on your screen with all the controls the radio has, including a bit more to help you set your TX audio up.

Jon
    WD0MYM

The FT-950 might be a better choice because of warranty and a better receiver by most standards with quite nice DSP filtering. One other reason Yeasu does keeps bringing out new firmware upgrades for that radio that keeps improving it with free downloads.

The FT-920 was a very good radio but now it is over 10 yrs old and a little behind in technology plus you may have to have some repairs in the near future who knows. Even a new radio can have problems but you do have a warranty to fall back on and parts some older radios you can not get parts for. A friend found this out not long ago with his Ten Tec Omni VI and had to scrap it when they sent it back to him.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

Just a note~neither of those rigs will allow you much in the way of CW ops with the tech license.
    Get that upgrade to general as it will open a whole new world to you.
    10 and 6 meters I am afraid will disappoint you right now with propagation so low.
    I would hate to see you disappointed after spending a lot of money.
    US Army Radio Operator/instructor 1966-72
    MOS 05B/O5B4H

Quote Originally Posted by W7WV View Post
    Just a note~neither of those rigs will allow you much in the way of CW ops with the tech license.
    Get that upgrade to general as it will open a whole new world to you.
    10 and 6 meters I am afraid will disappoint you right now with propagation so low.
    I would hate to see you disappointed after spending a lot of money.
    Tech's have CW privileges on HF other than 10 meters.

I loved my FT-920 but sold it because it was getting long in the tooth. For the relatively small price difference between a used 920 and a new FT-950, I would go for the 950 without reservation. Better DSP, roofing filters, and a new radio warranty.

73, N4KZ

I'd go for the new FT-950, also.

More features, newer rig, warranty.

I have the FT-950, if your going to be working CW then I would go for the 950 for the IF DSP filters if nothing else. The nice thing about the FT-950 is there is nothing else to buy, its all built in. The 950 is a radio for the shack because at around 25 lbs, it is definitely not a mobile rig!

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACōFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast