Callsign
ad: k1jek

Thread: Bandscope on a Kenwood TS-590? a Kenwood TS-2000?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Default Bandscope on a Kenwood TS-590? a Kenwood TS-2000?

How can one I implement a bandscope on?:

1. Kenwood TS-590
    2. Kenwood TS-2000

Thx!
    Vince

First thing you need is to install an access jack, then settle the issue of IF frequency for the scope to work with.
    The 590s uses two different IF frequencies depending on the setting.
    If your good with design, it could be done.
    None of it is plugup.
    Only time you might see a bandscope offered is the next generation high end radio.
    As of the moment, my opinion is the 590s while a good radio dos'nt warrent KW engineering a bandscope for a radio in the $1600 price range and the software to drive it.
    The scope would cost nearly as much as the radio.

Ham Radio Deluxe has something of a bandscope. It isn't as nice as the bandscope in the 756 Pro 3 but it is a darn sight better than the one in the 746 Pro!
    It is more a fast scan between the band limits you set that gives you a visual display of the band as it scans.
    You can set the band limits and some other parameters.
    For free you can't complain too much!
    "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to receive."
    -Otto Watt Sept. 5 1925

Hi Vince,

I answered a similar question about adding a bandscope (aka Panoramic Display Adapter or Pan Adapter) to a TS-450S. Typically, when rigs have a roofing filter in the output of the first mixer (≈ 70 MHz), you're not going to see anything more than the bandwidth of that filter. Most are 10 to 20 KHz wide.

An exception to that is when the rig has a tap before the filter for the noise blanker. This is the case with my TS-850. It has a "second 1st mixer" that mixes the output of the 1st IF (before the filter) with a LO, providing a wideband 8.83 MHz "second 2nd IF" that feeds the noise blanker. (Kenwood supplied a buffered output for a Pan Adapter).

You need to determine if there's a wideband output. You can look at your rig's documentation, or look at the list of rigs compatible with Larry/N8LP's LP-100: http://www.telepostinc.com/. Right up front, he says it works with the TS-2000 (if you add an IF output port). I found a spreadsheet (attached, in a Zip file) of rigs on his LP-Pan Yahoo! group that lists compatible (but not optioned) rigs. The '2000 is on it but the '590 was not released when the list was made.

There's nothing in the user manual that gives a clue about the '590 (not even a block diagram). But, I found the service manual. It says the '590 is a triple conversion rig on AM/SSB/CW/FSK, with a 73.095 MHz 1st IF. It says,
    The first IF signal passes through the 2-pole MCF (XF371)...
    It goes on to describe the rest of the circuitry, indicating that the NB works in the 2nd IF only (unlike my TS-850, above). The bottom line is, you're not going to see anything wider than that 2-pole filter in the output of the 1st mixer.

I wish it was good news but, if you have your heart set on getting a rig that's compatible with a Pan Adapter/bandscope, and have a choice between these two rigs, it'd have to be the TS-2000.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The TS 590 does have a wide band IF output which can be used for a spectrum analyzer without modifications. If you look at the TS 590 scheme you will find a test point connector, CN 301 in the 11.374 MHz IF right after the mixer and just before the filter. This is a test point connector. If you use a proper male connector, you can tap the wide band IF from this point to input a spectrum analyzer such as the P3 or equivalent. Some buffering may or may not be necesary. If using the P3, you loose some of the P3 functionality which only works with the K3. You will only be able to see 200 kHz bandwidth of the 1.7, 3.5, 7. 14, and 21 MHz. The other bands use a different (73 MHz) IF not compatible with the P3. The P3 will let you program the 11.374 MHz IF. Other band scopes spectrum analyzers can be used.