ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Wouxun KG-UV3D Software Questions

Just purchased a Wouxun KG-UV3D and USB cables. Downloaded the software and was wondering, what is the purpose of the Frequency Mode A and Mode B settings under the Optional Features menu??
    I've programmed 2m and 70cm stations and everything is working. I'm just a little foggy on the Mode A and B stuff. Is there a well translated tutorial on the software out there? The user's manual appears to have been translated by martians. Guess that's why some pay $150 more for a dual band HT with usable software and instructions. Your input is appreciated.

KJ4BGQ

Perhaps I can shed some light. I have a KG-UVD1P and have been using the UVD3 software (it allows spaces in channel names).

The frequency modes refer to the current VFO settings when you have the radio in FREQ work mode.
    It's equivalent to just punching in the frequency on the front of the radio or manually changing the CTCSS tones.

I hope that was clear. (If it's not I would gladly take a few pictures to illustrate what I mean)

EDIT:

It looks like something that could possibly be used for rig control if the source code were ever released.
    Last edited by KR9O; 01-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.

I have a couple questions on this radio myself. Does the software work on Windows 7? I thought I have read that someone could not get it to work.

Also is this radio a true dual band?

I been thinking about buying one just to play with. I have a VX-6r but need a new toy
    Steve Baker Sr. KB9HGI
    Echolink Node# 376163
    KB9HGI-L 147.555 T 103.5
    KB9HGI's Ham Shack:
    [url]http://www.qsl.net/kb9hgi[/url]

It is a true dual band, however It is not a true dual channel. You can't receive both channels simultaneously, it will listen to both channels and when signal is received, it mutes to other channel.
    I use the software with NT and Vista, the site has drivers for Win7, so I would guess "yes" it is Win7 compatible. Link follows, see bottom of page.
    http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/wouxun-kg-uv3d-dual-band-2m-uhf-handheld-commercial-radio.html

You can download the software and drivers for the KG-UVD1P at
    http://www.maintradingcompany.com/ They also have the factory Service Manual and the Programming Manual.

When I set it up using Windows 7, I just plugged the USB cable provided with the radio, into a USB port ( radio not connected ) and Windows went on line automatically, and searched for and found the proper driver on line. It only took couple minutes.Then I just downloaded the driver and was good to go.

I am quite pleased with the radio and is easy to program using the software, but very hard to program manually.
    73, Randy K5RCD south Texas
    ARRL VE

I gave the KG-UV3D a negative review on Eham as to getting it programmed under Win 7. The problem turned out to be the programming cable where it plugs into the radio. It may look seated into the radio, but if can't get a connect, this may be your problem, If you push on the connector very hard, it will seat. I received only the rudimentary instructions for this radio, along with the programming cable, and used the cable driver from dealer' website. Once programmed, it seems to work as advertised. Link, WV4I.....

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6HYC View Post
    It is a true dual band, however It is not a true dual channel. You can't receive both channels simultaneously, it will listen to both channels and when signal is received, it mutes to other channel.
    How do you know which channel you are receiving? I sometimes am listening to linked repeaters on different frequencies, so they are broadcasting the same information, but I have better reception on one frequency over the other.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6LDJ View Post
    How do you know which channel you are receiving?
    The "S" on the display indicates it is listening on the second (bottom) frequency.