ad: CQMM-1

802.11 Networking with HSMM-MESH(tm) Software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5OUG, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KD5OUG

KD5OUG Ham Member QRZ Page

Join us for a Webinar on Saturday January 8

Space is limited.
    RESERVE YOUR WEBINAR SEAT NOW AT:
    https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/336778289

This webinar is an online version of a 802.11 wireless networking training seminar conducted by Kip Moravec AE5IB and Rusty Haddock AE5AE in the North Texas area at Lucas, TX. Seminar will include an introduction to wireless networking and the HSMM-MESH(tm) software developed for use on Linksys WRT54GL wireless router. Instructions for replacing the Linksys firmware with the new firmware will be given.

HSMM-MESH(tm) is a high speed, self discovering, self configuring, fault tolerant, wireless computer network that can run for days from a fully charged car battery, or indefinitely with the addition of a modest solar array or other supplemental power source. The focus is on emergency communications.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR NORTH TEXAS HAMS:
    The seminar will be conducted at the Lucas Fire Department training room, 165 Country Club Rd, Lucas, TX. Doors will open at 8:00am for set up. Those hams wishing to attend the seminar in person should contact Kip Moravec AE5IB at kip@kdream.com. Seating is limited.

The latest version of HSMM-MESH(tm) is available for download at:
    http://HSMM-MESH.org

A Yahoo group for HSMM in the North Texas area is:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntms-hsmm/

The Yahoo group for HSMM in the Austin area is:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Austin_HSMM_Development

Title:
    Date:
    Saturday, January 8, 2011
    Time:
    9:00 AM - 12:00 PM CST

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the Webinar.

System Requirements
    PC-based attendees
    Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server

Macintosh®-based attendees
    Required: Mac OS® X 10.4.11 (Tiger®) or newer

2. N0MLR

N0MLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Need mor info.

The article could use a bit more information? What is the application for this? Use it to connect to other routers or computers or? I hate articles that have links that want you to go here or go there for more info. If you can't be bothered to supply at least the basic information then why bother at all?
    (off soap box)

3. W8QZ

W8QZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll second the request for a bit more info - for those of us that've never heard of it before - this sounds like it could be useful - a ham(?) networking setup - higher speed, perhaps easier to use than the packet network (that appears to be disintegrating). Could be an important e-comm tool - ?

4. W8QZ

W8QZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll second the request for a bit more info - for those of us that've never heard of it before - this sounds like it could be useful - a ham(?) networking setup - higher speed, perhaps easier to use than the packet network (that appears to be disintegrating). Could be an important e-comm tool - ?

5. AD5OU

AD5OU Guest

a little more info

For those who don't like to follow links....
    From the HSMM-MESH site:
    Sheesh. Is it really that hard to follow a link?

6. AD5OU

AD5OU Guest

And some MORE....

By following a couple of links.......

7. AE5IB

AE5IB Ham Member QRZ Page

Check it out.

The ARRL had a High Speed Multimedia group in 2001. So the concept is not new. The HSMM-MESH project has just uses low cost routers and big antennas. A node costs less than any other HAM Radio.

I have gotten 5 and 10 mile links easily with clear line of sight using off the shelf WRT54G routers and external antennas. We load mesh software to make configuration much easier.

We send video and photographs that would be impossible with packet.

Check out the webinar and see if it is something you would be interested in.

Kip
    AE5IB

8. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

For those who want to experiment,
    I'd suggest checking your local thrift stores.
    I find them regularly for around $5-10 working just fine.

9. AC2GK

AC2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

HSMMs caught my attention a few months ago. Being a computer (and now radio also) geek I found them to be very interesting. I recently picked up Ubiquity Networks NanoStation (http://www.ubnt.com/nanostationloco) for a small HSMM project. So far I have been very happy with it, better yet as someone who has limited space HSMMs can be fun as the antennas are not massive. Once in place I was hoping to hook all of this up to my home-brew server and test the range from the 7th story!

A fun way to experiment with the microwave bands using off the shelf equipment....

KC2YZU
    Tim

10. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds very interesting. I already have five WRT54G routers. I got some of them under $10 at thrift stores as someone already mentioned. I usually run Tomato firmware on mine for regular Internet use, since Tomato is so simple to use. Too bad I already have other commitments today.

11. N1GKE

N1GKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Webinar

Thank you for the heads-up. I registered and look forward to an informative
    meeting. Also looking for other hams in RI & SE-MA & E-CT with similar
    interests. So far I have located only one.

12. KD8NPB

KD8NPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting.

I wouldn't mind experimenting with this.

13. WB2GBF

WB2GBF Ham Member QRZ Page

on demand webinar?

Would it be possible to capture this and make the webinar available on demand? I too have prior commitments today but would like to see what you are doing. I have been interested in this for some time now.

Pat
    WB2GBF

14. KG4TKC

KG4TKC Ham Member QRZ Page

This all looks wonderful except for one small point,when you get to the bottom of the page,and are informed that PC-based attendees must use windo$ operating systems. The beauty of the WRT54G and the WRT54GL routers is that Cisco used GPL software,a linux based operating system. That opened the door to this kind of experimentation. To have a seat at the webinar table closed to the Linux OS,and open to only windo$ based proprietary operating systems is a scandal.

15. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

flea market and thrift shoppers beware - many "WRT54" routers are available, for really cheap. but the only ones you want are WRT54 model G or GL. those are the main ones capable of running linux and this firmware. there's a few others but it's complicated, just get a GL and you'll be fine.

OK, serious time - anyone in silicon valley want to set up a mesh? this looks like a lot of fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.